Rumblings that Pruitt will stay if changes made in offensive side

I would say a huge part of the problem is QB decision making regardless of the offense. JG seldom picks out the right guy to throw to or he holds the ball to long and gets sacked. He has no idea of what to do with the ball over half the time. Were far better off letting the freshman play and get some experience going forward. As far as coaches go may as get ready for some changes some of these guys are already on the wrong side of each other and will not be able to work together going forward. Pruitt more than likely will get his way and the guys he wants gone will be gone. We'll go into next season with Pruitt being the guy on the short leash as anything other than a winning season puts us back to starting over again.

Exactly. Those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it. Unless someone with the influence, power and money steps up and insists we make bold, immediate moves, this scene will play out just like it did with Dooley and Butch. We'll continue to languish in the bottom half of the SEC and battle vandy for the cellar.
You do realize you're basically referring to the entire human race here, right?

Exactly. Those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it. Unless someone with the influence, power and money steps up and insists we make bold, immediate moves, this scene will play out just like it did with Dooley and Butch. We'll continue to languish in the bottom half of the SEC and battle vandy for the cellar.
So we know that a few coaches can be replaced without buyouts. So we’re considering filling them with guys who want 3 year contracts to join a sinking ship...just to buy them out next year? But UT likely is that stupid.

Too many BS threads to deal with but hey, why not another. The rumblings you hear are the soggy onion burgers you ate last night at Krystal.
I appreciate where you are coming from; but, disagreeable as they may be, at least complainer threads are clearly more entertaining than the actual play of our team. It’s not the fans‘ fault that the team itself is so uninteresting.

Strange things happen. Don’t t forget that Butch Jones somehow persuaded Bob Shoop to jump onto the rapidly sloping deck or his own Titanic of a program

will get a chance to stay for year 4 if he changes his offensive staff. Lets review

Year 1.....he puts his staff together with Tyson Helton as OC........they dont get along so he encourages him to hit the road.
Year 2 and 3.....brings Cheney in and most would say that Gitmo handcuffs the offense but they are a dumpster fire.
Year 4......insert whomever he convinces to come to this sinking ship and we will have a 4th year head coach installing a new offense once again with no quarterback?

Why is this a good idea?

I think this is exactly how this thing should be handled. Pruitt also should be motivated to let the OC do his thing and stay out 'cause his (Pruitt's) job is on the line. CJP has to see that his O stinks and needs a major overhaul. As for candidates, the new guy will have an very talented O line, a 4-5* star QB, a very good recruiting class and all kinds of skill position guys to work with. Seems to me this would attract a long list of suitors.

OMG this is laughable. People come up with the craziest ideas because they cannot deal with reality.
Pruitt has been telling the truth the whole time. Tennessee has ZERO QBs that can win games now. JG is clearly the best among them and he is terrible. People think HB will lead them to the promised land with ZERO proof of this other than his star ranking coming out of high school.

Pruitt already stated that he didn't want to throw HB to the wolves as a freshman because he claims this is what Butch Jones did to JG and that's why JG is mentally f*@ed in the head.

All the truth is out there but people just dont want to listen but rather believe in crazy theories. The real issue is this coaching staff has done ZERO to develop any of these players or these players are just flat out terrible.

Freshman QBs do well from coast to coast nowadays. If freshmen QBs can't do that here, particularly RS guys, then it's a system/coaching issue

I would say a huge part of the problem is QB decision making regardless of the offense. JG seldom picks out the right guy to throw to or he holds the ball to long and gets sacked. He has no idea of what to do with the ball over half the time. Were far better off letting the freshman play and get some experience going forward. As far as coaches go may as get ready for some changes some of these guys are already on the wrong side of each other and will not be able to work together going forward. Pruitt more than likely will get his way and the guys he wants gone will be gone. We'll go into next season with Pruitt being the guy on the short leash as anything other than a winning season puts us back to starting over again.

Yes, I agree. Simply put JG is a slow thinker...not a good quality for a QB these days

Reactions: Volfan2012
will get a chance to stay for year 4 if he changes his offensive staff. Lets review

Year 1.....he puts his staff together with Tyson Helton as OC........they dont get along so he encourages him to hit the road.
Year 2 and 3.....brings Cheney in and most would say that Gitmo handcuffs the offense but they are a dumpster fire.
Year 4......insert whomever he convinces to come to this sinking ship and we will have a 4th year head coach installing a new offense once again with no quarterback?

Why is this a good idea?
If JP demotes or gets rid of Chaney, no self-respecting OC is gonna take the job. Chaney is deemed as a quality OC within the NCAA. Other OC's will see JP's treatment of Chaney as things to come for themselves. In all seriousness, JP has painted himself in a corner with the salary he is paying chaney and his reputation. The only answer is to come off all decision making on the offensive side of the ball. Give Chaney full reign of personnel and play calling. Show the world it's Chaney's baby and only then if it fails he has room to manuever for firing.

Reactions: Volfan1000
If JP demotes or gets rid of Chaney, no self-respecting OC is gonna take the job. Chaney is deemed as a quality OC within the NCAA. Other OC's will see JP's treatment of Chaney as things to come for themselves. In all seriousness, JP has painted himself in a corner with the salary he is paying chaney and his reputation. The only answer is to come off all decision making on the offensive side of the ball. Give Chaney full reign of personnel and play calling. Show the world it's Chaney's baby and only then if it fails he has room to manuever for firing.

Have you seen how Chaney's offense is ranked nationally? It's over 100 last time I checked. Every potential OC worth his salt knows this is a production business and you won't keep your job long with numbers like that. In fact if UT doesn't make drastic moves then it'll hurt the program nationally 'cause it'll look like they don't care

Have you seen how Chaney's offense is ranked nationally? It's over 100 last time I checked. Every potential OC worth his salt knows this is a production business and you won't keep your job long with numbers like that. In fact if UT doesn't make drastic moves then it'll hurt the program nationally 'cause it'll look like they don't care
Have you seen who Chaney's HC and QB are?

Have you seen who Chaney's HC and QB are?

That doesn't explain why our receivers can't get open. Where's the motion, misdirection, play action, zone reads that are so prominent in today's game? Chaney is ten yrs behind. He doesn't have the play designs that the good offenses have. Yes, QB is an issue

Since this year basically doesn't count, I have yet to understand why more freshman aren't being utilized more anyway. I remember glaring reviews about Wiedeman, Calloway, Holliday, and others during camp but yet to see them in games, other than spot appearances. Take the kid gloves off and let them play! Why not see what they can do in actual game situations. Simplify the game plan, let them play fast and if they make mistakes, coach them in understanding what they should have done. They can use the "practice" excuse all they want, but some kids just need to play to understand how to get better. Can't be worse than what we have witnessed thus far this year and I don't expect it to get better with the status-quo.
A low IQ stubborn coach such as JP isn’t going to play freshman! What would Kiffbaf be doing with our offense? Case closed

That don’t make seance to actually hire a good coach with a winning record as a HC. Tennessee won’t go for that.

seance-table.jpg

Reactions: Smokey X
You seem pretty sure..

By the way, what did Hugh have for dinner last night?
Not true... Like JP or not, he has played freshman.
What 2 or 3 in spot duty? JP is too stubborn and conservative to trust ANY freshmen, instead of showing confidence in them and coaching them up along the way! His statement pre season about not coaching or playing scared is proving to be a flat out lie!

What 2 or 3 in spot duty? JP is too stubborn and conservative to trust ANY freshmen, instead of showing confidence in them and coaching them up along the way! His statement pre season about not coaching or playing scared is proving to be a flat out lie!
"2 or 3 in spot duty", now you put conditions on it... OK, I'll play..

Last year: Morris, Wright, Gray, MCollough, Crouch, Maurer, Harrison, To'o To'o....

This year: Baron, Slaughter, Joseph, Spraggins, Small, Hyatt, Thomas, Cooper Mays.......

These are just off the top of my head and I believe most of these have been more than "spot duty" also..

Look, I get it, you're not happy with Pruitt and for good reason. Most of the fanbase isn't, me included, but don't make sh!t up just to fit your agenda..

"2 or 3 in spot duty", now you put conditions on it... OK, I'll play..

Last year: Morris, Wright, Gray, MCollough, Crouch, Maurer, Harrison, To'o To'o....

This year: Baron, Slaughter, Joseph, Spraggins, Small, Hyatt, Thomas, Cooper Mays.......

These are just off the top of my head and I believe most of these have been more than "spot duty" also..

Look, I get it, you're not happy with Pruitt and for good reason. Most of the fanbase isn't, me included, but don't make sh!t up just to fit your agenda..
It’s not an agenda, however JP coaches scared and it’s undeniable!
2020 University of Tennessee Football (PDF) - University of Tennessee Athletics

VN Store

Back