Russian nuclear disaster...maybe?

An intercontinental terrain hugging cruise missile flying from across the world would be tough to spot on radar.

Certainly plausible and funny you mentioned that. My mother actually had a job as a civilian with the Army a long time ago and worked on a project (admin asst.) that was researching such a weapon (radar assisted terrain contour missile) even way back then. She saw lots of documents come across her desk. I didn't even know that until I was in my twenties. I told her she scares me even more now that she could keep a secret that long. She's about to turn 82 if that gives you any idea how long ago they were testing this stuff.

I do not think this is the hypersonic missile discussed in past. Cruise missiles typically are about Mach .85. Aerodynamic forces are too strong in dense low altitude air in which cruise missiles operate to achieve hypersonic speeds.

It is unlimited range and evasion navigation that make it deadly.
That’s twice in this thread you have been very on point. I may be wrong, I don’t think I have seen you post in here much until recently, please post more often. We could use it.

QUOTE="DynaLo, post: 17005941, member: 21476"]If he ever gets the kinks worked out, and I hope they all blow up in testing, from launch to impact on US mainland will be 5 minutes of time.[/QUOTE]

I think I may be incorrect and starting to think you are correct. I know of the Brahmos ASM, but see no mention of hypersonic speed for Skyfall

9M730_Burevestnik
BrahMos - Wikipedia

@volfanhill

That’s twice in this thread you have been very on point. I may be wrong, I don’t think I have seen you post in here much until recently, please post more often. We could use it.

Well read my latest reply. Not so sure now. If hypersonic and cruise, this is unparalleled capability.

Pray, light candles, break out the pin dolls, whatever it is you do, do it and let's hope it works so Vlad never gets those bad boys working right.

Those effing missiles are a game changer.

Reactions: Orangeburst
If he ever gets the kinks worked out, and I hope they all blow up in testing, from launch to impact on US mainland will be 5 minutes of time.
Damn, what's their speed?

Russia Skyfall Nuclear-Powered Cruise Missile Is Tested

Modern cruise missiles use turbojet or turbofan engines and typically have ranges of 1,000 miles or so, a limit that is dictated by their fuel supply.

A nuclear-powered cruise missile could fly for much longer, perhaps staying aloft for days and flying intricate routes to exploit holes in enemy air defenses.

Edit: Speed on this one is mach 3.5 for comparison.

Last edited:
The 3M22 Zircon also spelled as 3M22 Tsirkon is a scramjet powered maneuvering anti-ship hypersonic cruise missile developed by Russia.
Speed: Mach 8–Mach 9 (6,090–6,851 mph; 9,800–11,025 km/h; 2,722.3–3,062.6 m/s)
Operational range: 1,000 km (540 nmi; 620 mi)

The 3M22 Zircon also spelled as 3M22 Tsirkon is a scramjet powered maneuvering anti-ship hypersonic cruise missile developed by Russia.
Speed: Mach 8–Mach 9 (6,090–6,851 mph; 9,800–11,025 km/h; 2,722.3–3,062.6 m/s)
Operational range: 1,000 km (540 nmi; 620 mi)

Here is a scaled Brahmos II

600px-A_scaled_down_model_of_Brahmos-II_at_Aero_India_2013.jpg

BrahMos-II - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
Vlad is taking everything hyper sonic.

MiG-31K fighter jets armed with Kinzhal hypersonic missiles are currently on experimental combat duty in Russia’s Aerospace Force. During its employment, a fighter jet boosts the missile and then discharges it, after which the Kinzhal fires its own solid-propellant engine and gains a speed of Mach 10. The missile is capable of maneuvering at such a speed and remains actually invulnerable to existing air and anti-ballistic missile defenses. The missile has an operating range of over 2,000 km.

Rumors of what went boom in testing was the inter continental hyper sonic version.. that one is the 5 minute launch to US mainland missile.

Rumors of what went boom in testing was the inter continental hyper sonic version.. that one is the 5 minute launch to US mainland missile.
And we have no defense against something like this?

What’s so strange to me is why both countries spend so much developing that tech. We all know we have subs, and so do they, hidden ready to launch at anytime.

If we have a defense for it, it's MIL opsec.

The Russian S-400 sam defense system is supposed to be one of the best out there. Hence the fury over Turkey buying them.

Bad news is the Russians are almost done with building the S-500 and it's billed as hyper sonic capable.

Reactions: Orangeburst
What’s so strange to me is why both countries spend so much developing that tech. We all know we have subs, and so do they, hidden ready to launch at anytime.

Those are ballistic missiles high in sub orbit and easily spotted by satellites and radar. Cruise missiles typically fly an altitude measured in feet and not easily tracked, especially hypersonic.

Edit: We did have some sub launched nuke Tomahawks at one time, about Mach .8

Reactions: volfanhill
If anything, this whole current conversation will hopefully explain a little bit as to why Trump is trying to keep things somewhat non antagonistic with Putin.

Putin went real hardcore on development of these systems due in part to our last decade+ of politicians.

If we have a defense for it, it's MIL opsec.

The Russian S-400 sam defense system is supposed to be one of the best out there. Hence the fury over Turkey buying them.

Bad news is the Russians are almost done with building the S-500 and it's billed as hyper sonic capable.

DynaLo- You know your stuff. I have not kept up with cruise missiles in awhile and am rather shocked at their development. I always knew the Brahmos, but, not all these others. Putin seems to get more out of less than we do it seems and are continually updating their nuclear arsenal, while we still have 60 year old Minutemen, although refurbished. Even our Trident II's seem dated.

Were you in military service?

A friend of mine that works at ORNL said they got a brief on this before it ever hit the news outlets. Didn't say much more than that. I'll have to pick his brain some more when I see him this weekend.
I’m starting to wonder if there was some sort of sabotage. Russia did say it was due to human error, and maybe the ORNL briefing is to prep for any potential repurcssion.

If he ever gets the kinks worked out, and I hope they all blow up in testing, from launch to impact on US mainland will be 5 minutes of time.

Good grief. Take off the tinfoil hat for a minute and actually think. Yes...Russia is a tough nut. But they do with "quantity" what we do with "quality". Going back to WW2.

Do you really think they have a Mach 9 missile that can hit the US in 5 minutes? Hello? Chernobyl? Kursk? K219? K129? And those are just the ones we know of. "Russia" and "Advanced Technology" are not two words that go well together.

Here's another term for you, and one that seems to have been forgotten since the end of the Cold War. MAD. Mutual Assured Destruction. The U.S. Nuclear "Triad", consisting of land based, air based, and submarine based nuclear missiles, is designed, constructed, and deployed in such a manner as to assure any potential aggressor, including Russia...that no matter what they do in a First Strike scenario...we can, and will, wipe them off the face of the planet. Putin is no fool. He won't start a war, and he is always looking for an edge, but the fact of the matter is that he has killed more Russians with his efforts in the past two decades than he would care to admit. This is why, as an AR-15 owner, I get a kick out of those who swear by Russian steel-cased ammo because it's cheap. Well, no s**t. When my life might depend on it, I'll take Federal barrier-blind at a buck a round over Wolf FMJ's at a quarter a round. I might only get one shot. It needs to count. Keep your T-72; I'll take the Abrams.

The only thing Russia has that can hit the U.S. in 5 minutes is robocalls and internet viruses. Those are real threats, and where we need to be looking. Or you can go buy up all of the aluminum foil that Sam's Club has, and worry about a missile that does not exist. Or work. Or both.

Last edited:
DynaLo- You know your stuff. I have not kept up with cruise missiles in awhile and am rather shocked at their development. I always knew the Brahmos, but, not all these others. Putin seems to get more out of less than we do it seems and are continually updating their nuclear arsenal, while we still have 60 year old Minutemen, although refurbished. Even our Trident II's seem dated.

Were you in military service?

Ed hubby was. I just got curious seeing some things and read a lot.

For several years now I've played a phone app game called Vikings: war of clans, there are tons of Russians playing it and they spend big bucks on it. It's interesting what you can get Russian soldiers to let slip when it's Saturday night over there and they've had a ton of vodka.😂😂😉

Good grief. Take off the tinfoil hat for a minute and actually think. Yes...Russia is a tough nut. But they do with "quantity" what we do with "quality". Going back to WW2.

Do you really think they have a Mach 9 missile that can hit the US in 5 minutes? Hello? Chernobyl? Kursk? K219? K129? And those are just the ones we know of. "Russia" and "Advanced Technology" are not two words that go well together.

Here's another term for you, and one that seems to have been forgotten since the end of the Cold War. MAD. Mutual Assured Destruction. The U.S. Nuclear "Triad", consisting of land based, air based, and submarine based nuclear missiles, is designed, constructed, and deployed in such a manner as to assure any potential aggressor, including Russia...that no matter what they do in a First Strike scenario...we can, and will, wipe them off the face of the planet. Putin is no fool. He won't start a war, and he is always looking for an edge, but the fact of the matter is that he has killed more Russians with his efforts in the past two decades than he would care to admit. This is why, as an AR-15 owner, I get a kick out of those who swear by Russian steel-cased ammo because it's cheap. Well, no s**t. When my life might depend on it, I'll take Federal barrier-blind at a buck a round over Wolf FMJ's at a quarter a round. I might only get one shot. It needs to count. Keep your T-72; I'll take the Abrams.

The only thing Russia has that can hit the U.S. in 5 minutes is robocalls and internet viruses. Those are real threats, and where we need to be looking. Or you can go buy up all of the aluminum foil that Sam's Club has, and worry about a missile that does not exist. Or work. Or both.

No tin foil needed and I agree that ammo is crap. I know Russia puts out propaganda just like we do. Some of the info available out there is not propaganda from either side.

I posted earlier about yapping with Russian soldiers..they'd talk about where they lived, their military base, their jobs there..I just started looking up that stuff out of curiosity and that lead to more curiosity and trips down the internet bunny holes.

I don't know anything more than what's around the net and everybody is free to do their own research.

And according to those same folks, Putin hated and never trusted a certain secretary of state but who knows huh.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321

VN Store

Back