Ryan Mallett

Yes, I'm saying I don't want him. Crompton and Coleman will be fine, and as I stated, I'll take my chances with talented local kids instead of a guy who thought he was too good for UT the first time. Both of those guys wanted to be Vols from the get, and this guy would be coming out of necessity, nothing more.

Once again, no thank you.

He didn't think he was too good for UT. He had offers from every major football school in America. He decided to attend an institution other than the one in Knoxville.

He didn't think he was too good for UT. He had offers from every major football school in America. He decided to attend an institution other than the one in Knoxville.

Once again, I think the point was pretty clear that there was at least one place he'd rather have been. I didn't see us in his top 5, that leaves me to believe he'd rather be 5 places. One of those can have him.

Once again, I think the point was pretty clear that there was at least one place he'd rather have been. I didn't see us in his top 5, that leaves me to believe he'd rather be 5 places. One of those can have him.

UT already had plenty of guys ready to take over for Erik Ainge. At Michigan, Mallet was already the appointed heir to Chad Henne's throne. Additionally, he was going to be a four-year starter, just like Chad Henne was. And maybe most importantly, Michigan was a top 5 preseason team, whereas UT was once again an afterthought in the National Championship picture.

Yes, I'm saying I don't want him. Crompton and Coleman will be fine, and as I stated, I'll take my chances with talented local kids instead of a guy who thought he was too good for UT the first time. Both of those guys wanted to be Vols from the get, and this guy would be coming out of necessity, nothing more.

Once again, no thank you.

Tyler Smith thought he was too good for UT, but I'm sure you welcomed him with open arms.

just because an 18 year old kid doesn't pick a school coming out of high school doesn't mean anything.

UT already had plenty of guys ready to take over for Erik Ainge. At Michigan, Mallet was already the appointed heir to Chad Henne's throne. Additionally, he was going to be a four-year starter, just like Chad Henne was. And maybe most importantly, Michigan was a top 5 preseason team, whereas UT was once again an afterthought in the National Championship picture.

How am I not communicating this clearly enough?

1) I'm not just saying Michigan, we weren't even on his list!

2) All those factors are true, and I respect them playing a role in his decision, but if he makes his decision on that along and is afraid of getting beat out at the place he grew up a fan of, then I don't want him at Tennessee. We don't need another Brent Schaeffer that stops going to QB meetings when his little feelings get hurt.

The more qbs the better. Think about how many we've brought on that flopped (Suggs, Leak), moved to another position (Banks), got hurt all the time (Ainge), transfered away (Schaeffer) or just quit (Bo). Just a couple of years ago we were on our third string. And no one knows if Crompton will be up to the task.

I think qb is a position where you cant have too much talent.

Tyler Smith thought he was too good for UT, but I'm sure you welcomed him with open arms.

just because an 18 year old kid doesn't pick a school coming out of high school doesn't mean anything.

Someone has ignorantly said that before, I'll give you the same response I gave them.

Tyler Smith choosing to go to Iowa when UT was in a coaching transition at a time when UT basketball hadn't been viable in many years is NOTHING like a top prospect choosing another school over UT in football.

BTW, I'm not knocking him for where he went, I'm just saying it's obvious to me that UT wasn't where he wanted to be.

Bring him in if he is the best for the program. I dont care if the guy didnt want us or anything at the college level to start off, all I want is the guys that give the big orange the best chance to win in 2008 on the field next year.

How am I not communicating this clearly enough?

1) I'm not just saying Michigan, we weren't even on his list!

2) All those factors are true, and I respect them playing a role in his decision, but if he makes his decision on that along and is afraid of getting beat out at the place he grew up a fan of, then I don't want him at Tennessee. We don't need another Brent Schaeffer that stops going to QB meetings when his little feelings get hurt.

How do you feel about having Brandon Warren return?

I have absolutely no problem with Mallet choosing another school or not even considering UT. That is not insulting at all. I do have a problem with someone criticizing an 18 year old kid for being "too good" when that same critic has posted on this site multiple times that the members are too dumb to understand him.

How do you feel about having Brandon Warren return?

I have absolutely no problem with Mallet choosing another school or not even considering UT. That is not insulting at all. I do have a problem with someone criticizing an 18 year old kid for being "too good" when that same critic has posted on this site multiple times that the members are too dumb to understand him.

I'd rather BW gone somewhere else, but since we were #2 on his list originally, I don't see it as the same thing.

As far as I go, yes, I doubt the intelligence of some posters when they can't properly subtract 14 from 41 when making an argument. Sue me.

I'd rather BW gone somewhere else, but since we were #2 on his list originally, I don't see it as the same thing.

As far as I go, yes, I doubt the intelligence of some posters when they can't properly subtract 14 from 41 when making an argument. Sue me.

It was a mistype, not a mathematical error.

Mallet - wouldn't come to UT originally, but changed reconsidered when his coaching staff changed.

Warren - wouldn't come to UT originally, but changed his mind when his mother's condition deteriorated.

I don't really fault either of them. Mallet seems like a real competitor. If he came here, I'd expect him to give his all.

By his senior year, Mallet will be top QB somewhere. And a first rounder if he stays his senior year. That's right I said it.

Someone has ignorantly said that before, I'll give you the same response I gave them.

Tyler Smith choosing to go to Iowa when UT was in a coaching transition at a time when UT basketball hadn't been viable in many years is NOTHING like a top prospect choosing another school over UT in football.

BTW, I'm not knocking him for where he went, I'm just saying it's obvious to me that UT wasn't where he wanted to be.

sorry, didn't mean to knock you or anything, I'm just a big fan of Mallett and think he's got a bright future in front of him where ever he goes. I'm sure if he came to UT he would just loaf around, he'd be out there bustin' his butt just like everybody else. I for one think he'd be better than either of the QB's we have now. Just my 2 cents though

It was a mistype, not a mathematical error.

Mallet - wouldn't come to UT originally, but changed reconsidered when his coaching staff changed.

Warren - wouldn't come to UT originally, but changed his mind when his mother's condition deteriorated.

I don't really fault either of them. Mallet seems like a real competitor. If he came here, I'd expect him to give his all.

Mallett - Didn't consider UT at all.

Warren - Had UT #2 on his list and went to FSU for the same reasons you excuse Mallett's choice in Michigan, depth chart.

Warren - Had UT #2 on his list and went to FSU for the same reasons you excuse Mallett's choice in Michigan, depth chart.

Warren stated that he chose FSU because it was his childhood dream to play there. He was really an FSU fan. The main reason we had a shot at him was because he lived a stone's throw from the campus. I actually felt a little sorry for the guy. They practically forced him to come onto some local TV show to declare. You could tell he didn't want to leet everyone down, he was hanging his head when he picked up he FSU sweatshirt.

By his senior year, Mallet will be top QB somewhere. And a first rounder if he stays his senior year. That's right I said it.

Gotta agree. Mallet is a stud. He looked better than JClausen in the HS all-american game last year and looked good playing for the injured Henne in 07, even though that was against big-11 competition.

Gotta agree. Mallet is a stud. He looked better than JClausen in the HS all-american game last year and looked good playing for the injured Henne in 07, even though that was against big-11 competition.

he's got great size, a cannon arm, and a good feel for the game. if he's coached up to his talent, there's no doubt he could be a heisman finalist and a 1st round NFL draft pick

Exactly. He didn't think he was too good for UT; he was actually going to come to Knoxville until Buzz was fired, at which point I think he second-guessed himself and there was a lot of miscommunication between Pearl and the Smith family. I've also heard that people may have made promises to Smith that Pearl couldn't keep.

He came back and I don't think anyone holds a grudge against the kid. He's probably our best player right now.

If Mallett came here, he'd be welcomed. If he'd rather go somewhere else, good luck to him.

Sorry, I got the impression by him not even considering us to begin with that he couldn't care less about playing at UT. I'm merely saying we have enough guys using us for a gateway (anyone who mentioned leaving with Trooper) and don't need another one.

I don't see how a guy having Tennessee on his list initially or not has to do with him using the program as a gateway. Where do you draw the line? Does he have to have us on his list his junior year? His senior year? Signing day? Do you exclude seniors who become interested in Tennessee late int the recruiting process. Which list do you use? What if he only talks about his top 3 to the media but we were initially in his top 5 that he discussed with his parents. I'm just not sure I follow the logic here.

Furthermore, what's wrong with being a gateway? When you recruit nationally like Tennessee does you have to sell your ability as a program to put players in the NFL.

I hope Crompton and Coleman are both very successful but I wouldn't turn down a kid that I thought could help the program.

Coach Fulmer: "Sorry Mr. Top Prospect, I see that we weren't listed in your top 5 on Rivals when you came out of high school. Did you honestly think you could change your mind? Now go stand in the corner and think about what you've done."

I don't see how a guy having Tennessee on his list initially or not has to do with him using the program as a gateway. Where do you draw the line? Does he have to have us on his list his junior year? His senior year? Signing day? Do you exclude seniors who become interested in Tennessee late int the recruiting process. Which list do you use? What if he only talks about his top 3 to the media but we were initially in his top 5 that he discussed with his parents. I'm just not sure I follow the logic here.

Furthermore, what's wrong with being a gateway? When you recruit nationally like Tennessee does you have to sell your ability as a program to put players in the NFL.

I hope Crompton and Coleman are both very successful but I wouldn't turn down a kid that I thought could help the program.

Coach Fulmer: "Sorry Mr. Top Prospect, I see that we weren't listed in your top 5 on Rivals when you came out of high school. Did you honestly think you could change your mind? Now go stand in the corner and think about what you've done."

:lolabove::lolabove::eek:lol:

I agree. The UT program is sold as a gateway to the NFL. That works for me. They can start bleeding orange during practice, IMO. It's nice when, by chance, an NFL-bound guy like Berry who already bleeds orange comes along, but there just aren't enough like that available for us to be competitve for championships.

I also don't see how considering transferring after Trooper leaves means a kid is using UT solely as a gateway to the NFL.

VN Store

Back