Ryan Mallett

Mallett - Didn't consider UT at all.

Warren - Had UT #2 on his list and went to FSU for the same reasons you excuse Mallett's choice in Michigan, depth chart.

did you ever once stop and think that UT never recruited him? someone might never show interest if never shown what a school has to offer, sorry but after reading this thread you come of very ignorant. Only local kids should play on UT it sounds like you are saying and that is just dumb.

I don't see how a guy having Tennessee on his list initially or not has to do with him using the program as a gateway. Where do you draw the line? Does he have to have us on his list his junior year? His senior year? Signing day? Do you exclude seniors who become interested in Tennessee late int the recruiting process. Which list do you use? What if he only talks about his top 3 to the media but we were initially in his top 5 that he discussed with his parents. I'm just not sure I follow the logic here.

Furthermore, what's wrong with being a gateway? When you recruit nationally like Tennessee does you have to sell your ability as a program to put players in the NFL.

I hope Crompton and Coleman are both very successful but I wouldn't turn down a kid that I thought could help the program.

Coach Fulmer: "Sorry Mr. Top Prospect, I see that we weren't listed in your top 5 on Rivals when you came out of high school. Did you honestly think you could change your mind? Now go stand in the corner and think about what you've done."

if you think about it, Peyton used UT as a gateway to get to the NFL. That's what it's all about anymore is what school will give you the best chance to get to the NFL.

if you think about it, Peyton used UT as a gateway to get to the NFL. That's what it's all about anymore is what school will give you the best chance to get to the NFL.

Peyton could've played at Baylor and gotten in the NFL.

But Cutcliffe wouldn't have been there at Baylor to nuture and tutor him. :ermm:

exactly. to me, anymore high school recruit don't just go to a school because they like the campus or the atmosphere. yeah it probably helps if your school is good in both, but they want to go to a school that 1. has a track record of players in the NFL and 2. offering them early playing time.

exactly. to me, anymore high school recruit don't just go to a school because they like the campus or the atmosphere. yeah it probably helps if your school is good in both, but they want to go to a school that 1. has a track record of players in the NFL and 2. offering them early playing time.

I was being facetious.

Mallett was a Very Highly touted kid coming out of HS, on par with Jimmy Clausen. UT had Crompton in the back pocket, family ties to Clausen, and an inside track on BJ. If there was imminent need for a QB, UT would have recruited the shlt out of Mallett.

But why waste the resources recruiting a player who is too good to sit and wait for a few years on a position you feel comfortable with, when you have more pressing needs on the squad? Tennessee didn't NOT want Mallett, there were just more pressing concerns. Do you really think that if they had to choose between Coleman and Mallett they'd have taken BJ?

I really don't understand where some of yal are coming from. It would be great getting this kid, if you ever have a chance at a QB that was this good coming out of High School i would take it. He's not going to flourish in a system where Chad Henne IS the starter and was going to be. I'm all for home town kids also but not if there is a better person for the job. Saying that he hasn't played against competition is also ignorant knowing that he played against the BEST high school players in the country last year and proved to be the best player at the ARMY ALL-AMERICAN game. If he were to choose UT i would definitely welcome him aboard!!

oh and also do you think Notre Dame was going to turn down 5* Dayne Crist because they got Jimmy Clausen last year?? i don't think so

:lolabove::lolabove::eek:lol:

I agree. The UT program is sold as a gateway to the NFL. That works for me. They can start bleeding orange during practice, IMO. It's nice when, by chance, an NFL-bound guy like Berry who already bleeds orange comes along, but there just aren't enough like that available for us to be competitve for championships.

Listen, I know we are going to have kids that do this. I welcome it also, my problem is that I feel we are flooded with them at times.

What I want, or would like to see is a good strong balance. I don't want us to have a team that is made up over 50% of non-southern players. I understand that TN is not loaded with talent, but it produces enough players that we don't need to recruit every single position out of state.

Basically, I just think we have enough big time recruits from other states, I'd rather us spend our time talking to a defensive tackle.

I'd like him to come on board who cares if he wasn't interested first time around? Even if BJ is starter 2 years from now depth at quarterback position is important, you're never more than 1 play away from losing your QB which obviously is your most important position.

I say if he comes here make him a DE with his size he could be a good decent one...I was thinking TE but we have pretty good depth there

i think at one time Tennessee football program was flooded with talented QB'S example Manning, Stewart, Rattay. No one knew who the mix was and looked who came out on top.

I say if he comes here make him a DE with his size he could be a good decent one...I was thinking TE but we have pretty good depth there

I hope you're kidding. With this forum, I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't though.

Nope I'm not we have enough Qb's and TE's so why not make him a DE

You are actually suggesting that we take one of the highest recruited QBs in the nation and turn him into a DE? What in the WORLD makes you think he'd make a good DE? Because he's tall? You don't think he knows absolutely anything about being on the DL? If he ran a 4.6 and benched about 400lbs. and was 3rd or 4th on our depth chart I might agree, but to take someone who has earned a reputation of being a smart kid with a HUGE arm and turning him into a DE? I still can't get over that.

I really am starting to not understand what makes some people on here get "GURU" assigned to their name.

You are actually suggesting that we take one of the highest recruited QBs in the nation and turn him into a DE? What in the WORLD makes you think he'd make a good DE? Because he's tall? You don't think he knows absolutely anything about being on the DL? If he ran a 4.6 and benched about 400lbs. and was 3rd or 4th on our depth chart I might agree, but to take someone who has earned a reputation of being a smart kid with a HUGE arm and turning him into a DE? I still can't get over that.

I really am starting to not understand what makes some people on here get "GURU" assigned to their name.

Well if he came here he would have to sit out a year and thats where he would be taught how to play DE now who cares if he has a big arm??? I would rather have a qb thats accurate

Well if he came here he would have to sit out a year and thats where he would be taught how to play DE now who cares if he has a big arm??? I would rather have a qb thats accurate

Who said he wasn't accurate?

You're not the first.

I tend to agree that making a top qb into a de isn't on the top of anyone's "things to do" list.

Who said he wasn't accurate?

Well you said he has a big arm like thats special or something....My thing is we have enough Qb's we need some depth on the DL plus he is just big not mobile now if he was like JaMarcus Russell then yeah have him stay at QB but the games I saw him play in the Slow 11 I was just not impressed

VN Store

Back