School Shootings

I think just one... but not positive. How many would it take to prevent this? And would it be practical to have a full force in every school?

I dunno. If there was only a way to have the authorities tipped off before hand, that might help...

That's interesting because I never hear any solutions from conservatives on how to keep schools safer from these mass shootings. Whenever a Republican member of Congress is asked about a school shooting (such as Paul Ryan was today). Their responses are invariably "My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families." and "Now is not the time to discuss any changes to our laws." or "This tragedy should not be politicized." or even "We must not infringe upon the rights of our law abiding citizens in effort to counter the acts of a few criminals." You may not agree with a liberal's suggestion but at least they do offer some and are willing to acknowledge that there is a problem of mass school shootings in the United States.

There never is a right time to talk about what needs to change to avoid incidents like what happened in Parkland, Florida.
Get your fingers out of your ears.

Take off the “I’m an always concerned citizen” cloak. None of you are even remotely concerned about “gun control” until this happens or it’s election season. In two weeks, if that, you’ll be back on the Muh Russia wagon. You’re right, we aren’t the ones playing on the emotions of grief stricken families at a time of heartbreaking loss, all in an attempt to score political points.

I’ve acknowledged there’s a problem, but that problem does not start and end at the 2nd Amendment. Neither does it start and end at the quantity of guns. And my rights sure as hell don’t stop where your butthurt begins.
Your last line is pretty disingenuous. If you are so concerned about rights, what about the unalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness of the 17 people who were murdered yesterday?

Reactions: 2 people
I love people like you who blames the weapon instead of the one wielding said weapon. I mean you just make so much sense you know? I mean I own an AR 15. I love shooting it. Its fun. Great stress reliever actually. I have thousands of rounds of ammo. Yet, for some strange reason, this weapon of mine has never injured a living being. Wonder why that is?

You're a terrible shot?

Reactions: 1 person
I think just one... but not positive. How many would it take to prevent this? And would it be practical to have a full force in every school?
It was reported that the school campus consisted of several buildings, and had 3200 students. That would take a few people to patrol.

Your last line is pretty disingenuous. If you are so concerned about rights, what about the unalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness of the 17 people who were murdered yesterday?

So given the population in the US, our greatness as a country and some other issues, what is your proposal?

It was reported that the school campus consisted of several buildings, and had 3200 students. That would take a few people to patrol.

It's been disclosed that the security guard (his name was Aaron Feis) was one of the 17 people who were killed in the shooting. Terrible.

I didn't make the law so I don't know the difference which is why I asked. You can't drink until you're 21, why not make it 21 for both? This kid was 19, maybe it could have made a difference in this case - that's all I'm saying.

Yes, passing legislation based on maybe it's just what needs to be done.

It's been disclosed that the security guard (his name was Aaron Feis) was one of the 17 people who were killed in the shooting. Terrible.
I had read about the football coach (Feis) getting killed, but didn't realize he was also a security guard. I just found the story on him, and there is no mention of him being armed. He was killed while shoving a girl through a door to shield her from harm.

Yes, passing legislation based on maybe it's just what needs to be done.

Please show me where I said anything about passing legislation.

There's something called "context", you should probably brush up on it before spouting off.

Since population is such a subject matter of this debate, let's define America's problem more narrowly then. Now, it is a fact that the United States has almost as many school related shootings as all other countries in the world combined. Just discussing school shootings, there have been 27 documented cases of school shootings in Europe since 1913 resulting in the deaths of 124 people (not all children). Since December 14, 2012 when Adam Lanza killed 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, there have been 47 school shootings in the United States resulting in the deaths of 126 people (including the most recent massacre in Parkland, Fla). These 126 people would not even include Virginia Tech or Columbine.

again, Europeans are generally happier and healthier than we Americans.

They don't put stress on the kids to have to go to college, they let them choose their own paths without any stigmas. They also have a lot less use of medication. Their schools are generally better than ours and they are generally better at having after school activities to give kids something positive. See what Iceland has done. This isn't even considering that they have half (percentage) as many single parent families as we do. Its almost 31% here in America, which is staggering imo, but 16% in Europe. That's despite a higher divorce, and lower marriage rate than we have.

Meigs and Monroe county schools both had threats today with a B.B. gun being recovered at Sequoyah high school..

I don't remember school shootings being a big thing when I was growing up, and guns were easier to get then than now. What has changed?

Lots of things. We have a generation coming up now that doesn't know how to deal with adversity. We have a PC culture now where people genuinely feel like they have a "right" to go through life without being offended.

We have zero tolerance policies on bullying now. Bullies have always been around. When I was growing up we were taught to deal with it. Words can't hurt you. You also stood up to the bully back then. If you got in a fight you might get suspended, but so what. Now they Expell you, have you arrested, and send you to an alternative school. Maybe I'm off base here, but meeting behind KMart and fighting it out gave you a chance to get it out of your system. Heck, most of the time you'd end up friends with the guy you were fighting. Kids these days don't have that chance to vent without getting a juvenile record.

Just a couple of thoughts.

If AR 15s were banned, the shooting wouldn't have happened yesterday. Just a fyi, if they are banned his family or friends wouldn't have them either. Could he still have gotten one in the black market? Maybe. Depends on how bad he wanted it. Its a risk id be willing to take rather than just letting psychopaths buy them no questions asked because 'murica

This is an undeniable fact. The proposition that he may have gotten another weapon of choice and may have still committed this atrocity is true but we KNOW that he and many others actually used this specific weapon and he, the and the vegas shooter, and the Sandy Hook shooter's mother all bought them legally.

Another poster said he owns one and likes to shoot it because it's fun. Sorry, but I personally don't think you having fun shooting this weapon is enough for me to say that these should be available on the market. If taking it away from you means that 100+ people and children are not dead, than I vote to infringe on your"fun".

These guns are not used for hunting or personal protection. They only exist for fun. Owning a firearm is a responsibility and having fun with such a firearm is not responsible IMO.

This is an undeniable fact. The proposition that he may have gotten another weapon of choice and may have still committed this atrocity is true but we KNOW that he and many others actually used this specific weapon and he, the and the vegas shooter, and the Sandy Hook shooter's mother all bought them legally.

Another poster said he owns one and likes to shoot it because it's fun. Sorry, but I personally don't think you having fun shooting this weapon is enough for me to say that these should be available on the market. If taking it away from you means that 100+ people and children are not dead, than I vote to infringe on your"fun".

These guns are not used for hunting or personal protection. They only exist for fun. Owning a firearm is a responsibility and having fun with such a firearm is not responsible IMO.

I bet you're the life of the party Mr. Buzzkillion.

I bet you're the life of the party Mr. Buzzkillion.

Thank you for the levity! For context, I own a bolt action .22 because I was in marksmanship ROTC in high school and thought I would enjoy it. I haven't fired it in years because I don't find target practice that enjoyable. But I would like to start hunting and I'm currently looking at a deer rifle. I just feel like firearms should have a purpose and I don't find fun in shooting up a range. The range feels like practice to me, not the end result.

Thank you for the levity! For context, I own a bolt action .22 because I was in marksmanship ROTC in high school and thought I would enjoy it. I haven't fired it in years because I don't find target practice that enjoyable. But I would like to start hunting and I'm currently looking at a deer rifle. I just feel like firearms should have a purpose and I don't find fun in shooting up a range. The range feels like practice to me, not the end result.

I like to test my skills so I do enjoy range time. As for the AR-15 platform if you ever go coyote hunting you will understand the need.

I like to test my skills so I do enjoy range time. As for the AR-15 platform if you ever go coyote hunting you will understand the need.

Would a reasonable requirement for an AR-15 be a coyote permit (do you even need?). I feel like having a simple hunting license requirement might curtail some purely recreational purchase of these rifles. Might be step in the right direction.

Would a reasonable requirement for an AR-15 be a coyote permit (do you even need?). I feel like having a simple hunting license requirement might curtail some purely recreational purchase of these rifles. Might be step in the right direction.

In VA and TN coyotes are nuisance animals so no permit is needed. IMO requiring a permit to purchase is not a reasonable requirement.

Besides, handguns are the most common weapon used in mass shootings by far.

In VA and TN coyotes are nuisance animals so no permit is needed. IMO requiring a permit to purchase is not a reasonable requirement.

Besides, handguns are the most common weapon used in mass shootings by far.

That may be, but from my perspective there seems to be an uptick in the specific use of the AR platform to carry out current mass shootings. I would like to know the actual numbers of AR vs handgun-only mass shootings.

Handguns requires a whole different conversation regarding personal protection v long range rifles IMO.

VN Store

Back