Shoutout to Tim Banks and the entire defense!

Was discussing this with my son and we can’t ever recall a Tennessee Dline this deep that’s got 3rd string guys in the game in the first quarter. Best I can ever remember was going 2 deep and I still remember Mathew Butler playing every defensive snap in a couple games.
I think the ‘98 team was extremely deep too but I’d probably agree…this very well may be the deepest for sure! And it sure showed up in the second half.

I'm still not convinced our secondary has been truly tested. And am still leery about what I did see. I figure Oklahoma will finally tell us if they are better than bad, or better than good.
I can understand your concern to some degree as many of these guys are young and inexperienced. But the upgrade in raw athletic talent is obvious. When NC ST ran that weird spread set and got what the wanted their #10 manned up with no help over the top. Got him the ball in stride and while they did get 28 yards, Ricky Gibson just ran him down and made the tackle. In years past that was a house call. Late in the game our CB manhandled their TE in the flat and kept him from getting the 1st down. They'll play smarter as the get experience but these group are ballers

The great thing about the secondary is youve got Boo a freshman, Gibson and McCoy are both second year players. Secondary is really young. They’re going to get fooled at times and make mistakes but they’re athletic and fast enough to make up for it.

I can understand your concern to some degree as many of these guys are young and inexperienced. But the upgrade in raw athletic talent is obvious. When NC ST ran that weird spread set and got what the wanted their #10 manned up with no help over the top. Got him the ball in stride and while they did get 28 yards, Ricky Gibson just ran him down and made the tackle. In years past that was a house call. Late in the game our CB manhandled their TE in the flat and kept him from getting the 1st down. They'll play smarter as the get experience but these group are ballers
You may be one to something there. Speed and strength, and I suppose determination. If this is what we'll see consistently, the defense will be even more dangerous than it is already. Heh, heh, heh, only murder on the field, I likey.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Only time will tell. I've seen struggling QBs suddenly turn it around after one or two games. So I stand by, not puffing out our chests too far. Humility pills get served to everybody at any given time. Enjoy the ride without arrogance.
Trust me I tend to want to wait and see with my mindset. Just saying based on what I u destined of OU thus far, no matter what they do next week, if we shared them (IF), then we will logically say we still don’t know about our secondary.

That tackle on the tight end was my favorite play

What a terrific performance by these guys. It looked like they broke the spirit of the Wolfpack as the game progressed. So many guys deserve praise that you can't name them all. Swarmed to the ball like Vols defenses of the late 60s and gang tackled. They were everywhere.

Oklahoma is trash at QB.

Don’t get caught up in the name. Know the opponent.
I still say we beat Ok by 30+. Optimist, no I think it's more realistic. I just don't think OK is that good this year. Unless we implode, I think we can beat Bama and we have a good chance at UGA. On both of those teams in the past they would take over in the 3rd/4th qtr by wearing us out. Now that we have more depth, the odds are catching up.

It’s time for me to eat some crow here on Tim Banks. The guy is a good DC. Is he a great safeties coach? No. But for his scheme he is good. And I don’t care about competition. The last three games our defense has been elite.

There isn’t a single Vol fan in this board that thought our defense was gonna be that dominate against NCST. NOT ONE. I mean we haven’t seen defense this good since what, 2001 maybe?

I am here to eat my buffet of crow. Tim Banks is a heck of a DC.

It’s time for me to eat some crow here on Tim Banks. The guy is a good DC. Is he a great safeties coach? No. But for his scheme he is good. And I don’t care about competition. The last three games our defense has been elite.

There isn’t a single Vol fan in this board that thought our defense was gonna be that dominate against NCST. NOT ONE. I mean we haven’t seen defense this good since what, 2001 maybe?

And Martinez's group is part of that. And you're not the only one, but you are part of an element on here that has been ridiculously pigheaded and wrong about WM, too.

I think TB will be a HC somewhere next year.

The great thing about the secondary is youve got Boo a freshman, Gibson and McCoy are both second year players. Secondary is really young. They’re going to get fooled at times and make mistakes but they’re athletic and fast enough to make up for it.
And if they stay healthy they are going to get better as they go. D line and Linebackers are looking tough and while young the secondary has true talent. GBO

IIRC that PI was on that 3 point drive and was very iffy.
I mean Gibson was physical with the WR. Probably should’ve been called but Bru had a DB grab his shoulder on an earlier play and influence it. The play to Bru was much more of a catchable ball than the play Gibson got called on. Overall I think both young corners played great.

Reactions: Volfan1000

I agree, he is not much of a safety coach. He is a good coordinator because of Rodney Gardner D line and a good LB coach hire.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back