So how do you feel after the game?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I didn't care to make this into a poll because I want elaborations, but how does everyone feel? Anyone feel like we're screwed? Anyone feel like we may actually be competitive?

I can definitely say 2 things.... I feel a whole lot better about our defense and a little less optimistic about Peterman (although in his defense, the kid has never stepped foot on a college field, especially not one filled with 60,000+ people, and was probably stroke-level nervous. I'm still willing to give him some time. Showed great flashes)

Worley looked solid.

Neal ran with passion and stood over the DB that was unable to bring him down. Loved what I saw there.

O-Line was beastly.

D-Line was ok, but one must consider the O-Line they were against.

This new offense is extremely successful when using the screen pass it seems.

I loved seeing a defense that actually seemed to be playing defense.

I did not think Peterman looked comfortable out there at all but he needs time to mature and gain experiance

Reactions: 2 people
I feel both of our QB's have a long way to go, but I think one of them can get us to a good place before the start of next season.

Worst case scenario is one of the incoming freshmen show them up and get the starting job.

Reactions: 2 people
I didn't care to make this into a poll because I want elaborations, but how does everyone feel? Anyone feel like we're screwed? Anyone feel like we may actually be competitive?

I can definitely say 2 things.... I feel a whole lot better about our defense and a little less optimistic about Peterman (although in his defense, the kid has never stepped foot on a college field, especially not one filled with 60,000+ people, and was probably stroke-level nervous. I'm still willing to give him some time. Showed great flashes)

Worley looked solid.

Neal ran with passion and stood over the DB that was unable to bring him down. Loved what I saw there.

O-Line was beastly.

D-Line was ok, but one must consider the O-Line they were against.

This new offense is extremely successful when using the screen pass it seems.

I think I must have been at a different game....don't agree with much of what you said. Hill looked good and Marlon Walls was pretty good too

First thought walking back to the car at halftime...

It's going to be a LONG season again.

We just don't have the playmakers that we need in this offense, and the defense can't stay out on the field all game again. I know that's not Jones' fault, and he's trying to remedy that in recruiting. That being said, I don't expect a bowl this year.

Reactions: 5 people
I did not see the game. chatt-town VOL; what do you mean when you say Neal "stood over the db that was unable to bring him down"? By your description alone, it sounds like a punk move against a teammate.

My thought is it's the spring basically just another scrimmage the offense only had about 8 plays to run the defense was basic as well...In the fall you add a lot more guys to the mix....also a lot of the guys that will play are hurt

Reactions: 1 person
I did not see the game. chatt-town VOL; what do you mean when you say Neal "stood over the db that was unable to bring him down"? By your description alone, it sounds like a punk move against a teammate.

Neal was just happy the grass didn't bring him down again, and maybe he thought his teammate was the grass.

Reactions: 3 people
Felt peterman was the better QB today , thought he looked a little stronger and could have made some big plays with out the red jersey IMO

Reactions: 4 people
First thought walking back to the car at halftime...

It's going to be a LONG season again.

We just don't have the playmakers that we need in this offense, and the defense can't stay out on the field all game again. I know that's not Jones' fault, and he's trying to remedy that in recruiting. That being said, I don't expect a bowl this year.

Not a vfl IMO...true fans watch the whole game

Reactions: 13 people
I loved seeing McCullers getting after the quarterback. On almost every pass play he was pushing his man back into the qb. One guy can't hold him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Although I wasn't able to attend the game, this is an encouraging quote:

"Coach Jones has just established an environment where football is fun for us," defensive lineman Jacques Smith said. "It's no longer like a job or just something that you must do, where you come to work just to get put down. He's boosted our confidence. He's made it fun again."

To say that DD didn't exactly inspire confidence in his players would be stating the obvious. But....yeah.

Reactions: 8 people
Not a vfl IMO...true fans watch the whole game

I didn't know there was a game being played today, I thought it was a scrimmage, to which 99% of the people watching had no clue how the scoring system worked. I would have rather seen a true football game, than what they tried to pull off today.

Agree peterman did play better.worleys interception was bad decision making

I wasn't really impressed with either, but I agree as well that Peterman looked better. :hi:

Edit: One annoying thing that I didn't like about this was that since the QB's were no contact the defenders weren't worrying about keeping him contained and just automatically chasing down the rb.

I was impressed with the improvement of tackling in the open field. I saw several d players make 1 on 1 tackles in the open field. Ill admit, the DBs looked better than I expected. The DL looks improved as well and they were disruptive upfront. I cant take much from the offense other than the fact that we need a lot of help on the outside. The QBs performed well considering the limitations with not having any capable WRs and being able to improvise much due to the red shirts. However, both of the QBs overthrew a bunch of passes. Peterman would have had a couple of huge gains due to runs but the play was called. I think Hill will help move the chains this fall a little as well.

Reactions: 3 people
I watched the game on ESPN3. I felt like the defense looked good and they were clearly ahead of the offense, but that is to be expected for a spring game. I thought Alden Hill played very well though on the offensive side of the ball. Our wide receiver depth or lack of it, will open up an immediate opportunity for Marquez North, at least that is what I think. At QB, it was for the most part a toss up but I would lean towards Peterman, he is more mobile than Worley. In the end, the Orange & White game is all about an "Opportunity For Improvement", OFI... I think with this coaching staff we will keep pushing forward and strive for continuous improvement, and with time we will see the winning results we all want. Go Vols!

Jones staked his claim today.

His claim to what exactly? He's already pretty popular amongst the fans.

Honest question, I know you are more positive than most, but how many games do you really think UT is capable of winning this fall? I've said all along that given the return of almost all of our defense and loss of QB and basically all the good skill players, I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can piece together 6 wins. I won't be shocked if they don't even get that though.

VN Store

Back