So how do you feel after the game?

His claim to what exactly? He's already pretty popular amongst the fans.

Honest question, I know you are more positive than most, but how many games do you really think UT is capable of winning this fall? I've said all along that given the return of almost all of our defense and loss of QB and basically all the good skill players, I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can piece together 6 wins. I won't be shocked if they don't even get that though.

I did not see the game. chatt-town VOL; what do you mean when you say Neal "stood over the db that was unable to bring him down"? By your description alone, it sounds like a punk move against a teammate.

Nah you could tell it was all in good fun. Neal had a hard run to the outside and one of the DB's (I couldn't tell who) tried to tackle him and just kind of bounced off him. He pushed Neal out of bounds but didn't bring him down. Neal just kind of stood up strong and gave him a stare. It was good to see. Nothing punk' ish though.

Feel better about the defense, Vereen abused somebody on the O-line. Feel worse about the offense. I'm guessing those two incoming freshman quarterbacks were licking their chops after the other quarterbacks perform today.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm sorry maybe some people on here saw something I didn't, but how in the world did anyone gather that Peterman looked better than Worley? I felt like it took a really long time before Peterman was able to even get anything going. I agree Worley's interception was a bad decision, but other than that I thought he had a pretty solid performance.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm sorry maybe some people on here saw something I didn't, but how in the world did anyone gather that Peterman looked better than Worley? I felt like it took a really long time before Peterman was able to even get anything going. I agree Worley's interception was a bad decision, but other than that I thought he had a pretty solid performance.

Peterman's offensive line was horrible. Peyton Manning would have looked terrible back there. Also, without the red jersey on, he picks up quite a few on the ground. To be honest, it was hard to tell but he showed a little out there today.

Reactions: 1 person
Offensively:D+

QB: Waiting on Freshmen. Peterman looks good needs more time in the offense and definetly needs Richardson to return. I say we drop Worley off scholarship and raise ultimatum. He was sucking massive amount of "rooster" today.
RB: Neal should be taking over duties with Alden in close second. Lane could convert to Slot WR or fight for 2nd string RB if he returns.
WR: Pig looked sluggish (No pun intended), and needs to work on footwork and balance. Vincent Dallas will probably be a backup for the rest of his career. Cody Blanc showed flashes but the lights went out quickly. Everyone else was second string.
OL: Not worried. Richardson should anchor this line with JJ.
TE:N/A?

Defensively: B
DL: Happy, but they were not playing a challenging offensive line with Richardson out, but boy are they quick. Vereen might be starting for 3-4 years.
LB's: Not happy with coverage because the WR corps were short-handed and the LB corps still had some troubles covering especially with screens.
DB's: Still to be determined, I'm not a fan of Martinez but he seems to be keeping the kids in good shape. Coleman seemed ready unlike in the past. Happy to see Randy healthy again (that was our name for Brian Randolph's in class).

Kickers: AAA
Palardy seems to have gotten the bottles of post-loss beer out of his butt when kicking.

Last edited:
I didn't know there was a game being played today, I thought it was a scrimmage, to which 99% of the people watching had no clue how the scoring system worked. I would have rather seen a true football game, than what they tried to pull off today.

I agrre with you. I feel the same as I did before, we wont be very good this year

His claim to what exactly? He's already pretty popular amongst the fans.

Honest question, I know you are more positive than most, but how many games do you really think UT is capable of winning this fall? I've said all along that given the return of almost all of our defense and loss of QB and basically all the good skill players, I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can piece together 6 wins. I won't be shocked if they don't even get that though.
His claim as caretaker of the program. He preaches the traditions and adds things to make it current for the players and recruits. They looked like they were having a ball today.

Provided we don't lose a critical player for the season, with work and a little luck I think we win seven. Plus a bowl game.

Defense was a pleasant surprise. If Peterman can start making some passes downfield with his legs we may actually have a great dual threat qb. The moves he made when he was running were great. Thought Worley looked pretty good but was let downin the fact he doesn't have a strong arm at all. I think both qbs left the door wide open for Dobbs and Ferguson. But overall I was happy with what I saw. One thing I noticed is all of the field goals trajectory were very low. Hope this gets fixed.

I honestly don't feel any different than I did yesterday about the team, and that isn't a negative comment.

QB is a question mark? Well, we've known that since Bray declared for the draft, and it will remain a question mark well into the summer and fall. But it never ceases to amaze me how much stock some people put into these spring games. The offense as a whole will look A LOT different come fall. The fact that the defense basically dominated today usually means you're about right on schedule as a team.

Individually, it was nice to see some of our players stand out. A few of those guys will have the opportunity to not only contribute heavily, but have breakout seasons in the process.

In my opinion, I saw a lot of good things from our Vols today. It was pretty much what was to be expected from a young and inexperience group of offensive skill players vs an experienced defensive group looking to redeem themselves after last season.

Our defense and running game will have to be our bread and butter until a QB and viable receiving options emerge, but, as has been said already, we were missing a couple WRs today.

Either way, I'm still optimistic and believe we'll steal a win or two just off great team chemistry and resilience.

I think the fist up thing when the defense gets a stop is pretty lame, and they wanted all the fans to do it. The majority of the players weren't even doing it.

Scoring setup was absurd, final score was like 93-71, and it was just bad.

Offense was terrible, Hill looked ok, but it was against our 2nd string defense and they looked pretty bad. There were a lot of penalties, and coach Jones went out and yelled at the ref and told him to calm down and stop calling so many penalties in a spring game. I didn't like that, the team needs to be aware that penalties can kill you.

Defense looked better, but there were still a lot of missed assignments, and the lack of speed is evident. Also, depth will be an issue, because the backups seemed lost a lot of the times.

Returners didn't drop anypunts which was nice, but I would have liked to see them actually have been pressured by the punt team.

Kickers looked pretty good, but again, I'd like to see them have some pressure on. Not kicking with no rushers. They need the mental fortitude, and when the pressure is on, Palardy seems to struggle.

Overall, I think it's going to be a long year. If we make a bowl game, coach jones deserves coach of the year.

Struggle to get to six wins this season. No playmakers on offense. QBs have a long way to go. Idiots calling for a new coach after the season ends with losses to all our big opponents.

OMG! We're now braking down and criticizing a water-downed, very vanilla offense and defense, from a glorified spring practice... All of which occurred in 4 10-minute quarters, with numerous likely starters either hurt, or playing sparingly, or with a 'red' non-contact jersey. :no::no::no:

Reactions: 3 people
Peterman has some moves. He was juking allover the place, but since it was two hand touch for him he couldn't really do much with his run game. Dude had a couple nice throws too, big arm! Worley looked a little sluggish but to his defense he was in line at 8am signing autographs. Alden Hill looked really good. Some really nice runs. Was nice seeing that 4-3 D back on the field as well.

Didn't get to see much of the game, got stuck at the refreshment stand for two hours.

I would say that Hill was a high point and I was more impressed with the defense. I didn't care for either quarterback too much, and hope maybe one of the Freshman steps up. Maybe North can come in and make an impact.

From what I saw today, I don't see us winning a lot of games next year, (I hope I am wrong and realize that we were missing a lot of team) I think Butch is building for upcoming years, and I am behind him 100%.

OMG! We're now braking down and criticizing a water-downed, very vanilla offense and defense, from a glorified spring practice... All of which occurred in 4 10-minute quarters, with numerous likely starters either hurt, or playing sparingly, or with a 'red' non-contact jersey. :no::no::no:

What else is there to do? It's all we have to go on. If that team played bama today we get beat by 40+

I think the fist up thing when the defense gets a stop is pretty lame, and they wanted all the fans to do it. The majority of the players weren't even doing it.

Scoring setup was absurd, final score was like 93-71, and it was just bad.

Offense was terrible, Hill looked ok, but it was against our 2nd string defense and they looked pretty bad. There were a lot of penalties, and coach Jones went out and yelled at the ref and told him to calm down and stop calling so many penalties in a spring game. I didn't like that, the team needs to be aware that penalties can kill you.

Defense looked better, but there were still a lot of missed assignments, and the lack of speed is evident. Also, depth will be an issue, because the backups seemed lost a lot of the times.

Returners didn't drop anypunts which was nice, but I would have liked to see them actually have been pressured by the punt team.

Kickers looked pretty good, but again, I'd like to see them have some pressure on. Not kicking with no rushers. They need the mental fortitude, and when the pressure is on, Palardy seems to struggle.

Overall, I think it's going to be a long year. If we make a bowl game, coach jones deserves coach of the year.

Jones wasn't telling them to stop calling penalties. One delay of game happened because they didn't reset the game clock. The other because they were having a fan call the play and the ref didn't know.

First thought walking back to the car at halftime...

It's going to be a LONG season again.

We just don't have the playmakers that we need in this offense, and the defense can't stay out on the field all game again. I know that's not Jones' fault, and he's trying to remedy that in recruiting. That being said, I don't expect a bowl this year.

The defense looked improved to me. The offense really needs A big playmaker at reciever or running back. They don't have one at the moment. What will make or break the Vols this year will be if they can run the ball or not.

I was excited to see Randolph back out there. Dude can be a major contributor at the safety position as long as he stays healthy. He was everywhere on the field today IMO

I think out defense will be much better.

I think our run game will be better.

I think our passing game will be much worse...

IMO

This n Peterman needs to get his passes up because he had many knocked down today. His release seemed to be slow also reminded me of Simms but with better legs.

So many fans want a running qb n I'm telling u unless they can pass also we will stink.

O line played poorly and allowed way too much pressure on QBs. As written earlier in this thread offense and defense were very basic. We definitely need Tiny back.

VN Store

Back