So I Got a Bone to Pick About Our Corporate Sponsors...

It's a system. Nike makes the best apparel, therefore they make the most money, and therefore they offered the NFL the most money.

No Nike has the best marketing and caught lightning in a bottle with Jordan and took off. There stuff isn't any better, they just sell it better.

Reactions: 1 person
No Nike has the best marketing and caught lightning in a bottle with Jordan and took off. There stuff isn't any better, they just sell it better.

Just because you and others say it doesn't make it true or correct.

Did you or anyone else on this message board test and re-test products continually from both companies to form your opinion?

Do you really think all these schools and athletes agreeing to let Nike represent them only do it because Nike pays them the most but delivers them an inferior product?

You think LeBron, Kobe, and Durant chose to let Nike represent them just because it was cool?

Did you or anyone else on this message board test and re-test products continually from both companies to form your opinion?

Do you really think all these schools and athletes agreeing to let Nike represent them only do it because Nike pays them the most but delivers them an inferior product?

You think LeBron, Kobe, and Durant chose to let Nike represent them just because it was cool?

Yes.

Reactions: 3 people

do you think RG3, Eric Berry or D Rose step on the field/court thinking their product is inferior? If there was a quality difference at all it would be identified. The rest is all marketing and money driven

do you think RG3, Eric Berry or D Rose step on the field/court thinking their product is inferior? If there was a quality difference at all it would be identified. The rest is all marketing and money driven

Where did I say Nike or Adidas is better quality? There you go again PJ...

Post after post in this thread claims Adidas makes better product than Nike. You nor I, nor anyone in it has any real clue if that is true or not overall.

:good!:

You sound like my eight-year-old kid talking about how his new shoes make him jump higher. Nike makes sports shoes and clothes. Adidas makes sports shoes and clothes. Aside from marketing, exactly how are Nike's shoes and clothes "way better" in any meaningful sense?

New shoes don't make you jump higher. That's ridiculous.

But they do make you run faster. Believe that. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Post after post in this thread claims Adidas makes better product than Nike. You nor I, nor anyone in it has any real clue if that is true or not overall.

Your question directly implied a stance on quality.

Could UT sell more apparel if they switched to Nike? Nobody really knows but it's an interesting thought and a better point of discussion.

Could UT sell more apparel if they switched to Nike? Nobody really knows but it's an interesting thought and a better point of discussion.

i doubt it. i dont know of many (any) people who would buy UT stuff if it were nike but dont because we have adidas. I could be wrong, but i dont feel that it really affects many sales

i doubt it. i dont know of many (any) people who would buy UT stuff if it were nike but dont because we have adidas. I could be wrong, but i dont feel that it really affects many sales

But would people buy more?

I for one, think Adidas basketball shorts blow. However, I think the Nike Elite shorts are amazing. I haven't and won't buy UT Adidas basketball shorts but I would for sure buy Nike UT basketball shorts.

Holy pajebus, this thread took my OP in an unexpected direction.

This is my point... which apparently doesn't translate well in the world of apparel and satellite TV services because they are both so subjective to personal taste and preference:

I would rather see Tennessee be sponsored by what *I PERSONALLY* view as a superior product (and preferably, produced by an American-owned corporation). To me, this sends the message that Tennessee embraces nothing less than a superior product itself.

Ultimately, I think the debate that has ensued renders my opinion moot, as there are clearly plenty of diehard Vols that think Adidas and Dish are the cats meow. I hereby withdraw my opinion, and offer my apologies to all I've offended.

Reactions: 1 person

I think we do know what's true. If any of the brands made equipment that is "better" in any meaningful way at all, pro athletes wouldn't wear anything else. Instead, pro athletes appear to be perfectly willing to wear gear made by whoever pays them the most. Therefore we can surmise that pro athletes' opinion about sports equipment is the same as ordinary people's -- it's entirely a matter of personal preference.

The whole point of branding is to convince customers that there are meaningful differences between very similar, almost interchangeable products. Cf. colas, light beers, Kraft vs store-brand grocery products, HP vs no-name ink cartridges. Most of it is a crock.

This is my point... which apparently doesn't translate well in the world of apparel and satellite TV services because they are both so subjective to personal taste and preference:

I would rather see Tennessee be sponsored by what *I PERSONALLY* view as a superior product (and preferably, produced by an American-owned corporation). To me, this sends the message that Tennessee embraces nothing less than a superior product itself.

Ultimately, I think the debate that has ensued renders my opinion moot, as there are clearly plenty of diehard Vols that think Adidas and Dish are the cats meow. I hereby withdraw my opinion, and offer my apologies to all I've offended.

Where ya been? Karaoke night at Awful Arthurs?

I have Comcast....

I can watch replays of....

Alabama
Auburn
SC
Clemson
Duke
A&M
Florida
Miami
Etc.....

But no option for Tennessee

And I live in Tennessee !!!

Good thing you're just one person. Adidas is an excellent company and for the exception of the abortions that were the 2013 NCAA tournament bball unis, they make an excellent product.

Also like someone said dish founder is an alumnus.

Who here would do the same job they currently have for less money?

Why would UT go with Nike and get paid less money than what Adidas pays?

Why would UT not want an alumnus as a corporate sponsor?

At the end of the day is it not about the university making as much money as possible to help keep costs down. I remember when UT had their uniforms made locally by Sports Belle.

Learn to read, I didn't say Adias was better then Nike, I just said Nike wasn't any better the Adias, they are both about the same to me, so whoever offers UT the most money, go with them. WhatI did say was Nike markets way better that is why they have such huge sales, not the superior quaility of thier products.

VN Store

Back