So what happened to Dools?

Patterson would have been a much better hire in the long run.

True, but I am not sure if he was still interested after Kiff bolted or not. I know he was the year before as living in Dallas, everyone in the local media was sure he was leaving for UT

I'm also not sure if he would have been given the time here to build like he did at TCU. Truth be told, I'm not so sure his first three years here would have been any better than Dooleys.

Face it, Kiff left us a mess in more ways than one.

How can he be a QB for his dad At Georgia and not know where recruits come from? I felt some guilt in you taking my lighthearted post so literal, but then you one upped me on the goofiness. Do you know who Vince Dooley is?
Yes. Vince Dooley was his dad. He was also never Derek’s coach. Derek was a WR at Virginia. Do you know who George Welsh is?

You’re all over the place on this one, man. Derek has never recruited at Georgia or played at Georgia. And he wasn’t a QB. He cut his teeth as an assistant under Nick Saban at LSU and then the Miami Dolphins.

The negative feelings I have for losing coaches at Tennessee usually fades over time once they are gone. Dooley is no exception. He’s not a bad guy at all, just was in over his head as a coach for a traditional power 5 like Tennessee

Yes. Vince Dooley was his dad. He was also never Derek’s coach. Derek was a WR at Virginia. Do you know who George Welsh is?

You’re all over the place on this one, man. Derek has never recruited at Georgia or played at Georgia. And he wasn’t a QB. He cut his teeth as an assistant under Nick Saban at LSU and then the Miami Dolphins.

That’s what I get for making off the cuff comments. 😅

Last edited:
True, but I am not sure if he was still interested after Kiff bolted or not. I know he was the year before as living in Dallas, everyone in the local media was sure he was leaving for UT

I'm also not sure if he would have been given the time here to build like he did at TCU. Truth be told, I'm not so sure his first three years here would have been any better than Dooleys.

Face it, Kiff left us a mess in more ways than one.
He wanted to keep the staff Kiff built. Most of us were on board with it too. It was a huge mistake and was why several coaches turned us down. I'm not sure who we would have ended up with. But I think Cut would have been the floor.

Dooley was the lowest point of the decade and a half I really wish we'd all stop discussing, including myself.

I felt like Kiffin might have a chance to be the real thing, but he was clearly not ready for the big stage at that point, Jones recruited well and we had some great talent to watch, but he was in way over his head in the SEC, and Pruitt offered hope because he wasn't Schiano and his pedigree, but was an incompetent clown.

But Dooley was a panic hire right off the bat, and before he ever coached a game I can recall only wondering how many seasons we would have to endure before he was finally gone.
There was definitely a feeling of hopelessness with Dooley. It’s funny to look back on but if they hold onto the win against LSU in Death Valley he probably gets a longer leash. That would have been a statement win against a top 10 team that so many fans want to see from the new coach. Beating LSU would have probably qualified them for another bowl game but the UNC game in the Music City Bowl was another really strange ending that should have been a win. Flipping those 2 results would have made his first season look good

Ya stirred me to research again:
It wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t pop up as an administrator someplace.

Who else was on Hamilton's radar during the Dooley coaching search?
David Cutcliffe accepted the job and was announced on ESPN as the next Vol coach. That fell through because Hamilton wouldn't let him bring his own assistants.

Kevin Sumlin was a finalist. He was always a drunk mess, and flamed out at Arizona, but he was much more qualified than Dooley, and a much better recruiter. Kippy Brown was interviewed, but Hamilton had already hired Dooley behind his back at that point.

The negative feelings I have for losing coaches at Tennessee usually fades over time once they are gone. Dooley is no exception. He’s not a bad guy at all, just was in over his head as a coach for a traditional power 5 like Tennessee
Dooley was a massive pr!ck. He was Butch Jones level anal retentive. His players liked him well enough though the first few years.

Dooley was a massive pr!ck. He was Butch Jones level anal retentive. His players liked him well enough though the first few years.

Dooley never went out his way to smoke cigars for beating his formal players.

Dooley had some integrity.

Butch didn’t.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Dooley never went out his way to smoke cigars for beating his formal players.

Dooley had some integrity.

Butch didn’t.
True, but that didn't make him any less of a jerk when he was our coach. Ask anybody working in the AD at the time. Dooley was OCD and anal retentive to the nth degree. Those traits have nothing to do with smoking cigars.

I remember Muschamp turning him down cold. He was still coach in waiting at Texas at the time I think.

I would assume Mike Gundy. Dude should very well set up a scholarship fund at UT for all the money we have made him.

I seem to recall Cut being interested but wanted to bring his coaching staff and Hamilton said no. Something weird like that anyway.

I am sure there were others but the timeline there was so condensed who knows?

I know when Hamilton hired Kiff the year before, Gary Patterson really wanted the job here.
That rumor about Cut was going around, but years later, I recall an article where Cut said he didn't like the way UT fired Fulmer and that factored into his decision. Truth is, with all his success at UT, there are people who swear to this day that he was a bad OC (says a lot about how delusional football fans can be :) ). Then in 2010 when Lame left, there was still a big contingent mad at Fulmer that did not want Cut anyway, is my memory. Which is too bad. Cut would have been infinitely better than Dools, but it was just not to be apparently.

But ANYONE just about, would have been better than Dooley. He only had two things going for him...his name, and the fact that he had been on Saban's staff at LSU. And the latter thing didn't mean ****, as it turns out.

Still no way that overcomes a %&%&%& LOSING RECORD in the %&%&%& SUN BELT!!! At UT. :mad:

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Butch won 9 games twice and went to 3 bowl games. Dooley never won 6 games or finished .500. There is no comparison.
You are both right.

Butch was a more successful coach at UT. His record speaks for itself.

Butch was also a bigger *******, as evidenced by soaking UT as much as long as he could, and smoking the cigars. It apparently never occured to the dipshit that....HE...was unable to beat bammer, but nevertheless wanted to celebrate with the players after he beat, you know, his former team, many of whom he recruited! And act like he actually had something to do with bammer beating us, which I can assure you he most certainly ****ing did not.

Here lately, he has been bragging about his time with Saban, as if that makes him like Sark or Kiffin. I mean, he was with Saban for THREE YEARS and never got promoted, unlike those other two guys.

The guy is delusional, thin skinned, and can't ever admit he made a mistake.

**** him. I hope he goes 0-12 this season.

Dooley is a good offensive minded coach. Good position coach. Good person (from what I know and my interactions with him).

He just didn’t have what it takes to be a head coach. Butch Jones is the much bigger tool than Dooley IMO.
Both of them contributed to the work football program in years for Tennessee. I have no company for either of them. For what I have seen from CJH so far, he is head and shoulders above them se two combined. Dicky was a very good coach when was here, didn’t have the same success when he went back to Florida.

You are both right.

Butch was a more successful coach at UT. His record speaks for itself.

Butch was also a bigger *******, as evidenced by soaking UT as much as long as he could, and smoking the cigars. It apparently never occured to the dipshit that....HE...was unable to beat bammer, but nevertheless wanted to celebrate with the players after he beat, you know, his former team, many of whom he recruited! And act like he actually had something to do with bammer beating us, which I can assure you he most certainly ****ing did not.

Here lately, he has been bragging about his time with Saban, as if that makes him like Sark or Kiffin. I mean, he was with Saban for THREE YEARS and never got promoted, unlike those other two guys.

The guy is delusional, thin skinned, and can't ever admit he made a mistake.

**** him. I hope he goes 0-12 this season.
Butch just wasn’t big enough for the Tennessee job. I think he has some qualities that serve him well as an assistant or a mid major head coach. He was a great special teams coach, for example, but the rules have effectively eliminated kick returns, which marginalizes that skill.

As you said, he’s too thin-skinned for a job like Tennessee. He was never going to get us back to being “Tennessee.” But he came a helluva lot closer than Dooley because he actually put in some effort, instead of sitting around spinning folksy yarns and showing everybody how southern he is by saying britches and mama as often as possible.

Dooley was a fraud who knew he was a fraud and willingly defrauded Tennessee. Butch was a fraud who didn’t realize it and gave it his best shot, which wasn’t good enough. Then he pissed everybody off with the Bama stuff.

Butch just wasn’t big enough for the Tennessee job. I think he has some qualities that serve him well as an assistant or a mid major head coach. He was a great special teams coach, for example, but the rules have effectively eliminated kick returns, which marginalizes that skill.

As you said, he’s too thin-skinned for a job like Tennessee. He was never going to get us back to being “Tennessee.” But he came a helluva lot closer than Dooley because he actually put in some effort, instead of sitting around spinning folksy yarns and showing everybody how southern he is by saying britches and mama as often as possible.

Dooley was a fraud who knew he was a fraud and willingly defrauded Tennessee. Butch was a fraud who didn’t realize it and gave it his best shot, which wasn’t good enough. Then he pissed everybody off with the Bama stuff.
Dayum! Are y’all really bitchin’ about who the larger 💩 turd was?

🤣🤣🤣

Offseason Blues…

Reactions: NighthawkVol

At least to me, Botch was never "too small" for the UT job. I believe that the hope with any hire is that the new hire grab the proverbial bull by the horns.

Botch just never "evolved" in the least in his five years here. He was the same slogan spouting tool on his way out the door that he was on his way in.

He came in with some decent recruiting-but just didn't do anything with it. Then the slogans got old and recruiting got harder as the book on one Lyle Jones was already public knowledge by that point.

Ultimately we ended up with that godawful 2017 season. Botch had basically put all his chips on JG as the successor to Dobbs. Granted JG kind of sucking was not all Botchs fault, but it was pretty evident very quickly that the recruits star profile had been greatly inflated-most likely engineered by Botch.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I liked Dooley, sure wish it would’ve worked out. Dooley really enjoyed being the Tennessee football coach and embraced traditions and a little sec nostalgia.

Reactions: Franklin_Vol09

VN Store

Back