So what happened to Dools?

Butch just wasn’t big enough for the Tennessee job. I think he has some qualities that serve him well as an assistant or a mid major head coach. He was a great special teams coach, for example, but the rules have effectively eliminated kick returns, which marginalizes that skill.

As you said, he’s too thin-skinned for a job like Tennessee. He was never going to get us back to being “Tennessee.” But he came a helluva lot closer than Dooley because he actually put in some effort, instead of sitting around spinning folksy yarns and showing everybody how southern he is by saying britches and mama as often as possible.

Dooley was a fraud who knew he was a fraud and willingly defrauded Tennessee. Butch was a fraud who didn’t realize it and gave it his best shot, which wasn’t good enough. Then he pissed everybody off with the Bama stuff.
Bro he made workouts optional and inherited the greatest legacy class we've ever seen. That's not putting in effort, it's straight sabotage.

Bro he made workouts optional and inherited the greatest legacy class we've ever seen. That's not putting in effort, it's straight sabotage.
And managed to outperform Dooley by a wide margin.

The legacy class thing is way overrated. Hurd, Malone, Kamara, Kirkland, John Kelly, Kyle Phillips, Gaulden, North, Moseley, Callaway, Bituli, Palmer, Jennings, Tuttle, JRM, etc. weren’t legacies. But yeah, go off about how Todd Kelly, Jr. and Vic Wharton fell into his lap. 🙄

He and his staff put in effort on the recruiting trail. Dooley mailed it in. The results reflect that.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
How can he be a QB for his dad At Georgia and not know where recruits come from? I felt some guilt in you taking my lighthearted post so literal, but then you one upped me on the goofiness. Do you know who Vince Dooley is?
Derek didn’t play for his father @ UGA.
He was a wide out @ UVA.
What’s your point here? Derek Dooley is a well respected position coach and is still involved on some level I believe.

Derek didn’t play for his father @ UGA.
He was a wide out @ UVA.
What’s your point here? Derek Dooley is a well respected position coach and is still involved on some level I believe.
He’s not in coaching anymore. He wasn’t retained as an analyst when DeBoer took over. His focus right now seems to be the Group of 5 playoff pitch. I’m sure he’s doing well financially with what he earned between his buyouts and craving salaries.

Amazing that posters on here were afraid of:

1. Losing Dools to UGA
2. Losing Butch to UM
3. Losing Pruitt to Bama

The coach worshipping on here is off the chain...until it isn't. LOL.
Paranoia flourishes here!🤣 OH and don't forget. Heupel is going to be the next Oklahoma coach!🤣 Sooner than later!:cool:

Reactions: Boca Vol
Dooley set the program back ten years. If Hamilton didn't panic about Cutcliffe bringing most of his Duke assistants or balk at Sumlin's down 2010, then Tennessee would have been okay. Championship level program? No that wouldn't have occurred. But Cutcliffe would have been a nice caretaker for a few years or Sumlin would have recruited well enough to leave the program in a better place. It was so bad after Dooley that Kirby Smart wouldn't even do a formal interview with his friend Dave Hart because of how much despair was around the program. Charlie Strong had second thoughts once he talked with some people in the SEC that Tennessee couldn't win anything for a while. Some of that was organizational incompetence around UT, but the football program had such a bad funk in coaching circles at the time.

I have watched sports competently for over 20 years and I have never, in my entire life, seen a football team quit like the 2011 team did on Derek Dooley against Kentucky. It is to me the most appalling game I have ever watched as a Tennessee fan. That team collectively said "We would rather stay at home than deal with this dude for another month." How Dave Hart let Dooley stay around after that was shocking.

Also I don't understand how Vol fans can "hate" Butch Jones more than Derek Dooley even with Butch's corny ass. Dooley wasn't really likable either and Butch's tenure looked like Pete Carroll at USC compared to Dooley's.

Who knows,it's the frigging internet

It's not.

The only reference to it on the internet is a dodgy Singaporean website with absolutely no detail and using a boilerplate template.

Quite frankly, that website makes "Richard G West" and "College Football Troll" look like Pulitzer winners

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Butch just wasn’t big enough for the Tennessee job. I think he has some qualities that serve him well as an assistant or a mid major head coach. He was a great special teams coach, for example, but the rules have effectively eliminated kick returns, which marginalizes that skill.

As you said, he’s too thin-skinned for a job like Tennessee. He was never going to get us back to being “Tennessee.” But he came a helluva lot closer than Dooley because he actually put in some effort, instead of sitting around spinning folksy yarns and showing everybody how southern he is by saying britches and mama as often as possible.

Dooley was a fraud who knew he was a fraud and willingly defrauded Tennessee. Butch was a fraud who didn’t realize it and gave it his best shot, which wasn’t good enough. Then he pissed everybody off with the Bama stuff.
Pretty fair assessment.

If Willcox stayed as DC Dools time might have been 5-6yrs instead of 3
Wilcox appeared generational in comparison to Sunseri, but not in reality. Competent and solid. Always felt our defense was a step behind. Was restrained by slower athletes, which he helped identify and sign and develop. I know the team (especially Bray and Rodgers) had checked out against Kentucky with a bowl on the line, but it’s inexcusable to be on the losing side faced off against a Joker Phillips coached offense utilizing a backup WR at quarterback who hadn’t played the position since high school.

Wilcox appeared generational in comparison to Sunseri, but not in reality. Competent and solid. Always felt our defense was a step behind. Was restrained by slower athletes, which he helped identify and sign and develop. I know the team (especially Bray and Rodgers) had checked out against Kentucky with a bowl on the line, but it’s inexcusable to be on the losing side faced off against a Joker Phillips coached offense utilizing a backup WR at quarterback who hadn’t played the position since high school.
Agreed

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back