So which team/teams get left out of the playoffs?

Their defense can still hold down ANYONE. Give a backup QB a months worth of reps and see what he can do. If FSU can score 24, they can beat anyone because of their defense.
FSU will be lucky to score in a bowl game if they get a top opponent unless they get a pick 6 or a fluke kick return. They might score against Oregon where they don't play defense.

What we saw with him getting thrust into a night start at the Swamp with 3-4 days worth of prep? That’s the only and final arbiter of how he’d play given more opportunities?
That's a fair point and good question. Unfortunately, I think you're kind of forced to do just that, fairly or unfairly, if you are asking yourself if they are truly, with a backup QB one of the 4 best teams in America.

I'll say this, if nothing else this makes everyone ready for a 12 team playoff. No one is this fired up over team 13 (unless it's the Vols, then we'll all be ready to meet Boo Corrigan or whoever over at the Waffle House).

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
So how can you label the SEC superior and the ACC crappy?
ACC best usually plays SEC least. FSU could not beat any of the top 5 even with Jordan Travis. I’ve watched FSU all season. Reminds me of BYU in the 80s.

Whose is this from Athens Vol by the way? I’m originally from there.

It’s strange that a lot of you, claim all year, how the SEC is the toughest conference in all of football. Then when the SEC Champion gets a spot in the playoffs, it’s SEC bias. I hate Bama as much as anyone but, if the goal is to put the best teams in those “4” spots, I think the committee got it right. However, I don’t think that has always been the committee’s goal (see last year with TCU).
Exactly. They change their criteria almost yearly according to the results they want. You cannot use the “best four in” argument if you look at other years. Besides TCU, you have to go no further than 2021 when Cincinnati was picked. Were they one of the “best four”? Of course not. Thankfully most of this 💩 goes away with the expanded playoff.

I would say
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Florida State
4. Georgia

**Florida State is the weakest but they went undefeated and won their conference
** If Georgia falls out of the top 4 it should be Texas in over Alabama ( head to head win) and Ohio State (one loss but no conference championship)
** Regardless someone is going to get their feelings hurt but next year makes the process better

FSU will be lucky to score in a bowl game if they get a top opponent unless they get a pick 6 or a fluke kick return. They might score against Oregon where they don't play defense.
Keep talking out of your ass. Oregon gave up 17 PPG their defense was top 12 in the country. Your basing FSU’s future off last nights performance with their 3rd string QB he won’t be playing in their bowl game, the #2 will be back.

Bama is ahead of FSU because they are “better”

But FSU is ahead of Georgia because of ???? If ranking Bama 4th meant Bama is one of the 4 best teams, how does Georgia losing to Bama drop them from #1 to #6 if the top rankings are about the “best teams”

I think FSU should have been in and Bama out.

Reactions: tennrich1
Blame Auburn for their defensive stupidity.

As a few of us said earlier in the day, FSU had a weak schedule--and being undefeated in a weak conference certainly doesn't mean that you're
better than a 1-loss team from the strongest conference, and so, while I hate bama, IMO the committee got it right.
I hate FSU ( any Florida team for that matter )too so I'm not going to put up much of a defense for them. Their schedule was a joke compared to GA and Bama.

That being said, I am incredibly biased in that I'll never support anything that furthers the Bama dynasty lol There isn't a team in the country that gets the benefit of doubt more than the Tide. And they just got it again.

The whole system is flawed and should never have been limited to 4 teams. Glad they are finally expanding.

There also seems to be a sliding scale in place with their justifications. Its not how you start the season, it's how you finish now apparently. It's almost as bad as trying to figure out what these refs consider holding or pass interference anymore.

Power 5 Conference titles matter until they don't. Yeah...the ACC isn't the SEC but neither is the Pac 12. Washington gets the benefit of doubt since they have their starting QB though.

Can argue around in circles for days under the current system. I hope the expansion puts some of this to rest next year.

The real winner today is Ole Miss. Jumps up from a meh-ish Citrus Bowl to a New Years 6 spot that Kiffin gets to go all off about.

ACC best usually plays SEC least. FSU could not beat any of the top 5 even with Jordan Travis. I’ve watched FSU all season. Reminds me of BYU in the 80s.

I moved here (Athens, AL) 7 years ago so not a native.

FSU’s defense can slow anyone down so they would give any of the top 5-7 fits when fully healthy. They “shut down” LSU better than literally any team on their schedule. How can that be discounted, when they handled LSU more easily on a neutral field than Bama did at home? When you give up 15 PPG you have a shot vs anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
I hate FSU ( any Florida team for that matter )too so I'm not going to put up much of a defense for them. Their schedule was a joke compared to GA and Bama.

That being said, I am incredibly biased in that I'll never support anything that furthers the Bama dynasty lol There isn't a team in the country that gets the benefit of doubt more than the Tide. And they just got it again.

The whole system is flawed and should never have been limited to 4 teams. Glad they are finally expanding.

There also seems to be a sliding scale in place with their justifications. Its not how you start the season, it's how you finish now apparently. It's almost as bad as trying to figure out what these refs consider holding or pass interference anymore.

Power 5 Conference titles matter until they don't. Yeah...the ACC isn't the SEC but neither is the Pac 12. Washington gets the benefit of doubt since they have their starting QB though.

Can argue around in circles for days under the current system. I hope the expansion puts some of this to rest next year.
FSU controls roughly 1/3 of their schedule and had LSU and Florida on there and won them.... Meanwhile Bama had Texas and lost by 10 at home while they struggled with USF the following game.....

Actually it does matter. If Bama is “better” than Florida State and gets put above, why change the formula for Georgia and Florida State?

Because if you say Bama is better than Florida State but not Georgia, you obviously have a formula that isn’t consistent. And if it isn’t consistent, why not? It’s bias. And what is the bias? Bama Bias….

It’s pretty black and white. If you think FSU is a lesser team, you have to rank them accordingly in the rankings. Worse than Bama but better than Georgia? Flawed formula.
That's every ranking ever. But no, 5th and below don't matter. They're all in the same no-chance-at-a-natty boat. They probably kept them at 5 for the feelz. 8/21 for 55 yards gets you another TCU in the playoff. College FB doesn't need another TCU in the playoff and that's what you're getting with FSU.

Reactions: EastTNVol6240
That's every ranking ever. But no, 5th and below don't matter. They're all in the same no-chance-at-a-natty boat. They probably kept them at 5 for the feelz. 8/21 for 55 yards gets you another TCU in the playoff. College FB doesn't need another TCU in the playoff and that's what you're getting with FSU.

Except the guy who went 8/21 for 55 wouldn't be playing in the playoff.

It should. The top 6 is usually where the argument take place.

Which ranking Georgia below Florida State looks odd. Why use one formula for Bama and Florida State and another for Florida State and Georgia? Seems like if you (CFP) honestly believe FSU is a different team, you use same formula for the rankings

Good point.

Personally think if it's the best 4 and nothing else they are looking at it's MI TX AL and GA.

GA has a case for getting burned too. They lose 1 game by 3 points in a championship game. I think they handle WA and MI fairly easy on a neutral field.

Now because of 1 close loss, they get left out of the dance.

Reactions: Drewbydoo
Good point.

Personally think if it's the best 4 and nothing else they are looking at it's MI TX AL and GA.

GA has a case for getting burned too. They lose 1 game by 3 points in a championship game. I think they handle WA and MI fairly easy on a neutral field.

Now because of 1 close loss, they get left out of the dance.

That is the wild thing. The CFP blew up their model and they didn't even get that right lol

Reactions: JoeMiltonsAgent
lol. College football is the only sport where a committee decides who is best and not the records. Like it or not, TCU deserved it last year and so does FSU this season. I can’t wait for the playoff system to make it fair regardless of optics of how the team looks.

You're kidding, right? You really think the same thing isn't going to happen every year where 3-4 teams believe they got screwed by the selection committee and conference favoritism isn't at work?

As long as subjectivity plays any part in selecting playoff teams, this same stuff will happen annually. And don't believe for a second that the NCAA doesn't love and revel in the controversy, which only brings more attention and eyeballs.

Reactions: BradentonVol
You're kidding, right? You really think the same thing isn't going to happen every year where 3-4 teams believe they got screwed by the selection committee and conference favoritism isn't at work?

As long as subjectivity plays any part in selecting playoff teams, this same stuff will happen annually. And don't believe for a second that the NCAA doesn't love and revel in the controversy, which only brings more attention and eyeballs.
Sure it is. But it’s all subjective. So adding more teams is the only way to make it more acceptable. I don’t think it’s ever going to be perfect as along as
money drives the decisions but something has to change.

With their defense, I think it’s closer than many give them credit for. Your point though is likely true, but still, it’s insanity that they didn’t let them in given the committees past precedent on teams they’ve selected and teams they’ve omitted.

Keep talking out of your ass. Oregon gave up 17 PPG their defense was top 12 in the country. Your basing FSU’s future off last nights performance with their 3rd string QB he won’t be playing in their bowl game, the #2 will be back.
Their success was from their #1 QB who unfortunately is out for them. Keep building up a team with a 55 strength of schedule. What a great victory last night over a team that lost to KY.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
Well Florida state got the shaft hahaha Texas vs Michigan should be a good game. Bless Washington’s heart . They would had a better game against Florida state.

VN Store

Back