Still think Bray is better than Ainge??

If you had a choice, who would you rather have at QB this year, Bray or Ainge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hatred? I don't hate him. I listen to his show at least three or four times a week.

But as a QB, he sucked.

Go back and see the stats already quoted. (2 of the 4 most productive seasons passing in UT history.) If that's sucking, then every QB who played for UT were lousy passers. He ran Cutcliffe's system beautifully. The only fair criticisms are that he failed with the game on the line in the SEC championship game (and even that isn't as cut-and-dried as you'd think) and he played bad as a sophomore, which I put more on Sanders than on him.

Reactions: 1 person
You should learn what an analogy is..

You should learn what a football is.

Go back and see the stats already quoted.

Couldn't care less. I watched him for four, looooong years. He sucked, I will always think he sucked.

I watched him choke up waaaay too many hairballs to think he is anything other than a chokebot.

Bray would have to choke about another hundred times to put him in the same league as Ainge.

Last edited:
You should learn what a football is.

Couldn't care less. I watched him for four, looooong years. He sucked, I will always think he sucked.

I watched him choke up waaaay too many hairballs to think he is anything other than a chokebot.

Bray would have to choke about another hundred times to put him in the same league as Ainge.

I love how you just choose bits and pieces of my comments to respond to. You obviously have nothing of value to try to come back against the other parts of it because you know I'm right and have no facts or examples to prove otherwise.

Go to youtube and watch 2006 UT at #10 Georgia, down 24-14 at haltime and Ainge brings us back to win 51-33. Thats all you need to know. I appreciate Bray coming here and playing, but he doesn't have one qualitySEC win in his career, and has never brought us back to win a big game. Ainge won a ton of quality SEC wins. Bray vs Ainge is no comparison at all, Ainge wins hands down. And if you consider what demons Ainge was fighting the whole time, I am still amazed that he held things together as well as he did.

Reactions: 3 people
Go to youtube and watch 2006 UT at #10 Georgia, down 24-14 at haltime and Ainge brings us back to win 51-33. Thats all you need to know. I appreciate Bray coming here and playing, but he doesn't have one qualitySEC win in his career, and has never brought us back to win a big game. Ainge won a ton of quality SEC wins. Bray vs Ainge is no comparison at all, Ainge wins hands down. And if you consider what demons Ainge was fighting the whole time, I am still amazed that he held things together as well as he did.

If Ainge had Sal for DC, we would of went 1-11.

Is this really a question?

Reactions: 3 people
Nice grammar chief.

Why yes, it is a question. I'll take Ainge who was a much better qb in the clutch. 1-11 my arse.

You like my grammar?

Come down sometimes, it's not hard...

Lets see how "clutch" Ainge is, with the defense giving up 40-50 points a game.

Last edited:
Ainge and Bray never played defense. Clutch is delivering a strong solid performance in against tough defenses when your offense needs it. Its about making good reads under stress and using your knowledge to create the best outcome for your offense each play and then being successful on the play. Again, Ainge was hands down better than Bray in clutch plays. Sorry, I appreciate the effert bray gave us, but the truth is what it is. Its time to hopefully move on from our worst times in football history.

I will go with Ainge. Before he separated his shoulder during the ND game his Fr year, his physical tools were on par with Bray's. However, the coaching Ainge received was miles ahead of what Bray got. On top of that, I don't think Ainge faced nearly as tough a conference as Bray did during his time at UT.

So it comes down to the intangibles: leadership, preparation, ability under pressure, and will to win. While I don't doubt Bray's desire to win games, I believe Ainge was far more effective in all of those areas.

I'm not bashing Bray either. I think with any semblance of a defense, he could have won 8 or 9 games last year. He definitely had the physical talent to start at QB on any team in the SEC. He just lacked the intangibles you have to have to be successful in the SEC. I hope this process has humbled him and left him with a new outlook on his career.

And I'm not forgetting that Ainge looked downright pathetic his Sophomore year when he was benched for the weakest of the Clausens. It just shows what great coaching (Cuttcliffe) can do for a guy.

Last edited:
Surely you don't.

By my count, Ainge mailed it in once... at LSU 05' and that was more of just a dumb@ss play and momentary mental breakdown... and don't say LSU 07' because, again, that too was just a horrible throw.

IMO,,, i'd much rather have Ainge than Bray... but that's not possible so here we come 7-5, 5-7...

i hate to defend tyler bray again.....

but, can you really claim ainge gave his all for tennessee when he was documented to be having a substance abuse problem throughout his time in knoxville?

So if we had Ainge this past year instead of Bray do you think the season would've turned out any better? I doubt it, personally.

Surely you don't.

By my count, Ainge mailed it in once... at LSU 05' and that was more of just a dumb@ss play and momentary mental breakdown... and don't say LSU 07' because, again, that too was just a horrible throw.

IMO,,, i'd much rather have Ainge than Bray... but that's not possible so here we come 7-5, 5-7...

Ainge is the player that helped to tank the program in the first place.

We're arguing over who was the tallest midget between these 2 anyways.

Casey C. was tough-minded and wanted to win--badly. Had some fire. Bray always seemed a bit apathetic. Ainge and Bray are/were very similar QBs.

Ainge is the player that helped to tank the program in the first place.

We're arguing over who was the tallest midget between these 2 anyways.

How did he help tank the program? Was he the one sitting on his a$$ and not recruiting? Was he the one that was coaching a defense that couldn't stop anyone on 3rd down? Was he the starting QB of the team that lost to Wyoming in Neyland? I seem to remember he was the last QB to get us to the SECCG. He wasn't a world beater but he isn't the reason we are where we are.

How did he help tank the program? Was he the one sitting on his a$$ and not recruiting? Was he the one that was coaching a defense that couldn't stop anyone on 3rd down? Was he the starting QB of the team that lost to Wyoming in Neyland? I seem to remember he was the last QB to get us to the SECCG. He wasn't a world beater but he isn't the reason we are where we are.

Good points. Some of the stupida$$ comments made on this board sometimes.... Agree with you-- how the hell can the QB who last led this program to play for the SEC championship be considered someone who helped tank the program. Stupidity knows no bounds on VN.

So if we had Ainge this past year instead of Bray do you think the season would've turned out any better? I doubt it, personally.

We would have won a few more games with Ainge. EA understood what a checkdown receiver was and when to use them, and would throw to them. Would have made a huge difference for Bray in several games this year if he did this. Watch Grudens chalk boardinterview with Bray from a few days ago and you will clearly see that Bray didn't get it and didn't check down. Again I appreciate what him playing for us, and yes his arm skill is better than EA, but between the ears and leadership Bray isn't in the same league with EA and that was validated with the draft this weekend. I hope that Bray realizes this last opportunity that he has with this tryout with the Chiefs, but he will need to change a lot of things mentally and attitude wise to be successful, and I hope he does that would be great for him and UT.

i hate to defend tyler bray again.....

but, can you really claim ainge gave his all for tennessee when he was documented to be having a substance abuse problem throughout his time in knoxville?

Nobody questioned Ainge's heart, it was always in the right place (especially after Cutcliffe returned and yanked his attitude).

Maybe it isn't really fair because Ainge had Cut and Bray didn't, but Ainge gave his all, never 70-80%.

Nobody questioned Ainge's heart, it was always in the right place (especially after Cutcliffe returned and yanked his attitude).

Maybe it isn't really fair because Ainge had Cut and Bray didn't, but Ainge gave his all, never 70-80%.

Oh really? :unsure:

VN Store

Back