stock market was up today...

Just watch the Big Short and that will clear a lot of it up.
Better yet, read it. Michael Lewis does a fantastic job laying this out in that book. Liar’s Poker is great too. It was the precursor to The Big Short and he didn’t even know it at the time…., or maybe he did.

The underlying issue was the subprime mortgages issued to unqualified borrowers. The house buyers (including many speculators) drove up prices which created the bubble. When the bubble burst the 30% decline in home values hit the middle class extremely hard. But the shenanigans from repackaging those loans only created collateral damage. Wall Street firms were wiped out and the mortgage debt products and failed public companies damaged traders’ portfolios and middle class retirement accounts. But without the idiotic lending on the front end those after effects that pulled down the economy even more wouldn’t have been catastrophic.
And why did the lenders have no reservations about making Ninja loans to unqualified borrowers?

It’s almost like they knew someone was there, waiting to buy them. Weird.

About 20% that I got back today (a third of yesterday’s losses) is gone. I’d love to see markets going up into the close, but it kind of feels like all of today’s early gains will disappear and the close could be in the red.

Reactions: walkenvol
Isn't volatility a bad thing?

I expect some rebound could happen but do we think this will remain a trend or are things expected to level off?

Wrong - the POTUS appoints the head of the federal reserve and can replace them whenever they choose. We’ve seen numerous examples through the years of the president publicly stating needed federal reserve policy that’s followed shortly after.
I support trump, but I can only imagine what kind of **** Jamie Dimon is going to cook up. That guy's a ****ing crook.

Please explain. Is it a good or bad sign for the health of the markets?
I'm talking about as a trader. I rolled down a bunch of put options (for profit) on Monday, and when the market bounces back a little (volatility) I can either close them out, or sit tight. Either way, I had determined entry prices for certain stocks and now I have lowered that point for an even better premium. Hopefully, they expire OTM though. That's my ultimate goal.

As far as overall health though, I think it's good as it weeds out weak companies

Reactions: Sudden Impact

VN Store

Back