Supreme Court agrees to hear NCAA athlete compensation case

When Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh start talking about workers rights you know you're in for a hell of a ride.

Reactions: NEO
Once you can pay players the NCAA is both completely powerless and antiquated.
Should it be powerful though? In football its power has dwindled exponentially the last few years and the big conferences are really running things. What exactly is the point of the NCAA?

This calamity will be fun to watch.

The "pay gap" between men and women live and in living color on college campuses. Lol.

If the colleges are forced to start paying players. I wonder how many schools will drop some sports, or sports all together. And if they drop more women sports, how will title 9 play out in these cases

This calamity will be fun to watch.

The "pay gap" between men and women live and in living color on college campuses. Lol.

It’s like when they showed the men’s vs women’s workout facilities for the NCAA tourney without saying the men bring in close to a billion dollars while the women lose about 3 million.

It’s like when they showed the men’s vs women’s workout facilities for the NCAA tourney without saying the men bring in close to a billion dollars while the women lose about 3 million.

Wait until the lawsuits from players already done with eligibility.

This is going to be a disaster. I'm not saying players shouldn't be paid, although realistically only a small portion of players in 2 maybe 3 sports "make" the universities money, but the outcome of this will result in a lot of niche sports being dropped all together.

Should it be powerful though? In football its power has dwindled exponentially the last few years and the big conferences are really running things. What exactly is the point of the NCAA?

The NCAA needs big time college athletics more than big time college athletics needs the NCAA IMO. You are correct that the big conferences are calling the shots. They are an inconsistent organization when it comes to punishment and are too slow with their investigations that leave programs waiting for the outcome. I wouldn’t be surprised to see in my lifetime the power conferences form their own alliance leaving the NCAA completely out of the picture.

Reactions: Tyler Durden
To a degree yes but they make money on basically 2 sports and probably only a handful of teams. They pretty much take a loss on the rest.

Personally I’d like to see the destruction of college sports as we now know them. I’d like to see the NFL and NBA be forced to set up a farm league system and collegiate sports go back to a more student-athlete model.

To a degree yes but they make money on basically 2 sports and probably only a handful of teams. They pretty much take a loss on the rest.
No, the easiest thing the NCAA could have done years ago was allow the athletes to profit off of their own image or likeness, or allowed them to make money from advertising... That wouldn't have done diddley-squat to their overall revenues.

Reactions: NEO

Zero point other than to enforce a scam.

No, the easiest thing the NCAA could have done years ago was allow the athletes to profit off of their own image or likeness, or allowed them to make money from advertising... That wouldn't have done diddley-squat to their overall revenues.

Then take those players off scholarship and let them foot the entire bill for themselves. Without the schools or NCAA they don’t have the platform to earn squat. Also let them pay the schools extra for giving them that platform.

Then take those players off scholarship and let them foot the entire bill for themselves. Without the schools or NCAA they don’t have the platform to earn squat. Also let them pay the schools extra for giving them that platform.
Yeah, that will fix it.

I'm starting to come around on the NIL idea, but I'm not for universities paying athletes unless you allow universities to purge non-revenue sports that would operate at a significant loss. Of course, athletes are going to have to accept the name, image, likeness thing won't be considered "fair" by those who don't draw the advertising/sponsor dollars, and not all of them will.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back