Supreme Court strikes down federal law prohibiting sports gambling

So now they need to put Pete Rose in the hall. One of the greatest baseball player ever

I think he should be in the Hall of Fame too... but this ruling doesn't place his most serious transgression in a different light. He was betting on his own team.

I have been in law enforcement for over 20 years and seen marijuana and other illicit drugs destroy lives over and over again. Where there are illicit drugs there are violent crimes.

I have yet to see anyone killed or any other violence over gambling. I'm not saying it isn't possible but I sure haven't seen violent crimes based on gambling addiction.

We are in the midst of an opioid epidemic in this country, and I would bet that the vast majority addicted to opioids have or regular smoke marijuana. Marijuana is obviously a gateway to other more dangerous or illicit substances.

Oh Jesus Christ. Most of the “crime” around marijuana happens BECAUSE it’s illegal

Reactions: 14 people
Hell, I don't even play the lottery. If someone wants to be a fool, I say let'em.

Pearl-clutchers aside, this was long overdue. Gambling has been a huge industry, as are “daily fantasy sports” which are the same thing. No reason for it to still be only legal in one state.

Reactions: 1 person
How long are we talking until you can make a bet at the stadium/arena for the game you're watching?

Is marijuana a gateway drug? | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

Correlation =/= causation, and especially for heroin, most of those addicts started with painkillers. Use of things like oxycodone has skyrocketed.

From your link.
"These findings are consistent with the idea of marijuana as a "gateway drug."
"Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other drugs52*and are, like marijuana, also typically used before a person progresses to other, more Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other, more harmful substances."

You can't honestly say that marijuana isn't a gateway drug for many people. Not all, but many. I agree that painkillers are also a huge problem.

Reactions: 2 people
I have been in law enforcement for over 20 years and seen marijuana and other illicit drugs destroy lives over and over again. Where there are illicit drugs there are violent crimes.

I have yet to see anyone killed or any other violence over gambling. I'm not saying it isn't possible but I sure haven't seen violent crimes based on gambling addiction.

We are in the midst of an opioid epidemic in this country, and I would bet that the vast majority addicted to opioids have or regular smoke marijuana. Marijuana is obviously a gateway to other more dangerous or illicit substances.

You are very misinformed. If cannabis is a gateway drug tobacco and alcohol are. More opiod addicts smoke cigarettes than cannabis. Most drank alcohol before weed or opiods. These are facts.

People have never been killed over gambling? People get killed all the time either from gambling debts, or robberies after someone wins a large amount of money gambling.

It seems you are making stuff up to justify outdated and ignorant views on the subject.

Reactions: 7 people
From your link.
"These findings are consistent with the idea of marijuana as a "gateway drug."
"Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other drugs52*and are, like marijuana, also typically used before a person progresses to other, more Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other, more harmful substances."

You can't honestly say that marijuana isn't a gateway drug for many people. Not all, but many. I agree that painkillers are also a huge problem.

However, the majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to use other, "harder" substances. Also, cross-sensitization is not unique to marijuana. Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other drugs52 and are, like marijuana, also typically used before a person progresses to other, more harmful substances.

It is important to note that other factors besides biological mechanisms, such as a person’s social environment, are also critical in a person’s risk for drug use. An alternative to the gateway-drug hypothesis is that people who are more vulnerable to drug-taking are simply more likely to start with readily available substances such as marijuana, tobacco, or alcohol, and their subsequent social interactions with others who use drugs increases their chances of trying other drugs. Further research is needed to explore this question.

Caffeine and cigarettes are gateway drugs for many people, but all the talk about how marijuana leads to violence and “ruins lives” warrants the biggest of eyerolls. Especially when alcohol is legal

Reactions: 6 people
You are very misinformed. If cannabis is a gateway drug tobacco and alcohol are. More opiod addicts smoke cigarettes than cannabis. Most drank alcohol before weed or opiods. These are facts.

People have never been killed over gambling? People get killed all the time either from gambling debts, or robberies after someone wins a large amount of money gambling.

It seems you are making stuff up to justify outdated and ignorant views on the subject.

Your factual evidence really drives home your point.

I've never been in law enforcement other than maritime drug enforcement, but I can even tell you that the list of people killed or crimes committed over gambling and gambling debts is a extememly long.

Reactions: 7 people
I've never been in law enforcement other than maritime drug enforcement, but I can even tell you that the list of people killed or crimes committed over gambling and gambling debts is a extememly long.

I have a family member that is hooked on gambling. It's very sad.

Anything in excess can be detrimental.

I have a family member that is hooked on gambling. It's very sad.

Anything in excess can be detrimental.

Agree, but it shouldn't be the Government's responsibility to manage that. It's definitely not the Fed's, glad it has been struck down......progress.

VN Store

Back