Taliban Taking Over Afghanistan - Does anyone care?

Do you care?

• No

Votes: 40 23.4%
  • Hell No

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • Yes, we should invade and send in Troops

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • I like Pie

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
More Americans died on 9/11.

Is that your barometer? Should we wait until more American's are killed to get out of that cesspool?

If only American lives matter, why do you care how quickly we get out of Afghanistan or what violent vacuum is left in its wake?

THE HUMAN COST:
American service members killed in Afghanistan through April: 2,448.
U.S. contractors: 3,846.
Afghan national military and police: 66,000.
Other allied service members, including from other NATO member states: 1,144.
Afghan civilians: 47,245.
Taliban and other opposition fighters: 51,191.
Aid workers: 444.
Journalists: 72.

Last edited:
Some people commenting on an NPR article have a good point. The US should have combat trained Afghan women. They’re the ones who stand to lose everything and they’re the ones who understand what freedom means. But the patriarchal system prevailed in a country where the average male is about as masculine as an Antifa goon.

Only hindsight will tell on this one.

If terror attacks start happening again and the leaders are safe in Afghanistan then this was absolutely the wrong move.

I think the best we can hope for is Afghanistan simply being a repressive country who's ideology is confined to its borders. I would think the last thing they want to do after taking back their country is to do something that would bring us right back. Only time will tell.
It wasn't Afghanis that attacked us on 9/11 in the first place. It was a group of Saudis with a Saudi elite being harbored in Afghanistan that was the ringleader.

Some people commenting on an NPR article have a good point. The US should have combat trained Afghan women. They’re the ones who stand to lose everything and they’re the ones who understand what freedom means. But the patriarchal system prevailed in a country where the average male is about as masculine as an Antifa goon.
I also couldn't help but notice that every single person at the airport mobbing the planes appeared to be male.

Reactions: AM64 and BreatheUT
Question for the group - why did the Taliban harbor al-Qaeda in the first place? What did they get out of it?

I can't think of how they benefitted - to the contrary actually. It gave a major foreign power a reason to go over there.

The number of lives lost and the total cost of this war is staggering. You can blame the administration if it makes you feel better but this vacuum was going to be filled irrespective of who slept upstairs at the WH.
Why not squarely place the majority of this on the originator? The Bush administration started this and deserves an overwhelming majority of the blame. And you are correct, the void would have been filled no matter what the moment we left.

Reactions: AM64
Question for the group - why did the Taliban harbor al-Qaeda in the first place? What did they get out of it?

I can't think of how they benefitted - to the contrary actually. It gave a major foreign power a reason to go over there.

I'm sure OBL and al-Qaeda were paying the taliban leaders.

Was it enough to make it worth their while? I mean, the stunt their houseguests pulled eventually eliminated their own government. Doesn't seem like a great risk/reward.

I'm sure they felt the risk was worth the reward, remember Clinton tucked tail and ran after Mogadishu, lobbed a few rockets after our embassies were bombed, did nothing after the Cole was attacked so they probably felt safe.

Reactions: -GiveHim6- and AM64
I'm sure they felt the risk was worth the reward, remember Clinton tucked tail and ran after Mogadishu, lobbed a few rockets after our embassies were bombed, did nothing after the Cole was attacked so they probably felt safe.
All of those attacks pale in comparison to 9/11 though. After 9/11, they had to have had a "Dude, what the hell, Osama?" moment. But they didn't hand him over even after that.

Was it enough to make it worth their while? I mean, the stunt their houseguests pulled eventually eliminated their own government. Doesn't seem like a great risk/reward.
OBL and AQ gave the Taliban the international reach they wanted, and the Taliban gave OBL and AQ the ability to train and recruit without really having to worry about state intervention. And I think they were completely OK with bringing the white capitalist devil to their country to bleed the coffers and kill a few of us in the process. My guess would also be that they've managed to graft from our own defense spending to strengthen their ranks and fund their operations. I wonder how many ANA soldiers send part of their paycheck to the Taliban, I think a lot of them sign up for the money and have no intention of fighting their brothers.

Hey we got manhattan for a bunch of beads. In hindsight I’d guess they would like to renegotiate but at the time I’d guess they really liked those beads!

I’m sure Bin Laden paid them well and I think he also sold them on the idea that he wanted that fight with the West. I think he thought that because they took down the Soviets in the 80’s they could take us down as well bc we didn’t have the stomach for it. Some may agree with that and say Bin Laden was ultimately correct. I don’t see it that way. I don’t think UBL saw it that way in December 2001, but because we shifted our focus to Iraq not long after we took Afghanistan we didn’t go all in the way we should’ve if we were to indeed change Afghanistan long term.

VN Store

Back