Team Issue…

What's mainly not right is we no longer have a generational QB, 2 high NFL draft pick receivers, & an elite, high draft pick edge rusher. Hooker & the talent on offense basically masked all the other issues, elite talent often does. This season is what Heupel is when he doesn't have elite talent to overcome his marginal coaching/leadership abilities. There's a reason Danny White looked elsewhere after getting this job before he basically had to pivot to Heupel.
His first and second seasons begs to differ with you. His first two years were outstanding when you evaluate what he did with the talent had. Remember, Pruitt won 3 games with a lot more talent than Heupel had any of his first three years. He was fortunate that enough of Pruitt players stayed that he still had a shell of a team and Pruitt had gotten Hooker to transfer. If you really want to compare coaches since the 1960s/70s, Heupel has done more with less than anyone since Dickey.

Last edited:
I disagree. He has had talent. He had a talent advantage vs Vandy and still gave up 24 points. Teams with a lot less talent play aggressive against WRs at the LOS.

I'm not claiming the talent has been elite or that it doesn't need to be better. I'm looking at what he's done with what he's had and drawing my opinion... which I think is backed up by what we see.
I can definitely see your point. Perhaps it is time to make some changes in Knoxville this off-season but is Heupal willing to do it?

I can definitely see your point. Perhaps it is time to make some changes in Knoxville this off-season but is Heupal willing to do it?
I can honestly say that I do trust Heupel. If he thinks it is a matter of players or the right kinds of players and chooses to stick with Banks... then I won't abandon Heupel. I only hope that if he has blind spots as a coach he's wise enough to listen to others who might see what needs to be done.

Bottom line though... it is his job security at stake and not mine. I have to make decisions and at the end of the day it is wise to use the intelligence of others... but you still own it as the leader. If he tolerates an underperforming coach then it could really cost him.

Milton's lack of performance combined with his poor leadership is obviously part of the problem, but I would fall short of saying its the biggest problem. When Bru McCoy went down early, I knew we would miss his leadership on offense.

Playing a team like GA obviously exposes the fact that we're not anywhere close this season to being physically and mentally tough enough to compete with them. Coaches deserve criticism for this. Coaches also deserve criticism for terrible effort on defense. I actually think it's fair game to criticize the fact we don't seem to have a better option ready to play at QB.

With all that said, we're miles ahead of where we were 3 years ago. We need an elite QB and much better players on the back end of the defensive to get to where we really need to be from a personnel standpoint.
There's only so many hours in the day/available to prepare for an opponent. If a true freshman wants to start, he needs to put in the extra work to get himself in a position that leaves the coaches no choice but to put him in, and pray the starter gets injured or completely implodes, neither of which happened.

Everyone can say Milton is the problem but both the offense and defense is clearly lacking confidence.

There’s no heart, no fight, no energy surrounding this team.

Is there a distraction going on? Who knows but something is definitely not right with this staff that just won 11 games last year.
Man u should be ashamed of saying tn players have no heart or fight in them. They always play hard. The reality is #1 georgia, #8 alabama and #9 mizz is just better than tn. Last yrs tn team was simply better than this years team

There's only so many hours in the day/available to prepare for an opponent. If a true freshman wants to start, he needs to put in the extra work to get himself in a position that leaves the coaches no choice but to put him in, and pray the starter gets injured or completely implodes, neither of which happened.
I actually wasn't even really advocating Nico as the starter. I think redshirting him this season was the right move.

I was lamenting the fact there wasn't any meaningful chance at competition for the spot after Jackson transferred. He did what was best for him, but I sincerely hope there was an earnest attempt to try to get him to stay and compete for the job this season. Sure, it's probable he might have transferred anyway.

1) it would have been nice to give someone like TJ a shot earlier in the season when JM was struggling immensely to see what happened

2) having another QB other than Nico ready and capable of competing for the job would've made me feel better about CJH's accurate evaluation of JM's talent. I thought every SEC team we played (other than Vandy) had a QB that outplayed Milton. IMO

Last edited:
I actually wasn't even really advocating Nico as the starter. I think redshirting him this season was the right move.

I was lamenting the fact there wasn't any meaningful chance at competition for the spot after Jackson transferred. He did what was best for him, but I sincerely hope there was an earnest attempt to try to get him to stay and compete for the job this season. Sure, it's probable he might have transferred anyway.

1) it would have been nice to give him a shot earlier in the season when JM was struggling immensely to see what happened

2) having another QB other than Nico ready and capable of competing for the job would've made me feel better about Hypeul accurate evaluation of JM's talent
"Struggled immensely"? The guy had 1000 yards and 8 TDs in the first 4 games. His only game under 200 was A&M. Did he completely light it up? No, but he didn't struggle immensely either.

"Struggled immensely"? The guy had 1000 yards and 8 TDs in the first 4 games. His only game under 200 was A&M. Did he completely light it up? No, but he didn't struggle immensely either.
Maybe immensely is the wrong adjective, I'll give that one to you. However, overthrowing wide open TDs, taking unnecessary sacks, making the incorrect reads, not to mention having to alter the offense for his deficiencies....I believe more than cancels out the numbers you find impressive.

Seeing a few games in person made me even more disappointed. There's receivers running open all over the field and he either doesn't see them or he's scared to throw it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Maybe immensely is the wrong adjective, I'll give that one to you. However, overthrowing wide open TDs, taking unnecessary sacks, making the incorrect reads, not to mention having to alter the offense for his deficiencies....I believe more than cancels out the numbers you find impressive.

Seeing a few games in person made me even more disappointed. There's receivers running open all over the field and he either doesn't see them or he's scared to throw it.
He was solid enough to win at least 1 more game if the other 21 players did their jobs. Having 3 highly touted RBs not breaking 25 yards against 3 different opponents, and a defense that was just as weak and ineffective completely negates anything Milton did.

Reactions: feathersax
Everyone can say Milton is the problem but both the offense and defense is clearly lacking confidence.

There’s no heart, no fight, no energy surrounding this team.

Is there a distraction going on? Who knows but something is definitely not right with this staff that just won 11 games last year.
They know they are a team without a winner leading the team on the field. They know Milton is a steep drop off from what we had. They hoped he would transform during his time behind Hooker and over the summer but he didn't. The guy who played Clemson didn't come back for this season. They are just muttling through this season. There will be a new energy next season.

Again......Milton was Milton he is going pro and he don't suck....sum of you act like he was the second coming of JG...win the bowl game and you finished ....rebuilding....in the top 25. The backend d needs help too and sum of the front, so it wasnt all on the qb...I wish the dude luck and was glad to see that 100, 000 do as well and had sum sense.....

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
He was solid enough to win at least 1 more game if the other 21 players did their jobs. Having 3 highly touted RBs not breaking 25 yards against 3 different opponents, and a defense that was just as weak and ineffective completely negates anything Milton did.
I think your affirming what I said in my original post. Milton's obvious weaknesses wasn't the only team problem, but they were, in fact, a big problem. Of course the defense struggled, and the WRs took a talent hit from players leaving from last year as well as Bru going down. Throw in there our patchwork offensive line that struggled, but played with heart down the stretch.

No way I'll agree with you that our runningbacks were the issue this season. I think you'll have a tough time explaining that one if you're talking about Wright, Sampson, and Small. They were the best group in the country IMO. My only criticism is I wish Sampson had more touches.

I think your affirming what I said in my original post. Milton's obvious weaknesses wasn't the only team problem, but they were, in fact, a big problem. Of course the defense struggled, and the WRs took a talent hit from players leaving from last year as well as Bru going down. Throw in there our patchwork offensive line that struggled, but played with heart down the stretch.

No way I'll agree with you that our runningbacks were the issue this season. I think you'll have a tough time explaining that one if you're talking about Wright, Sampson, and Small. They were the best group in the country IMO. My only criticism is I wish Sampson had more touches.
Milton had as many rushing TDs as Sampson (7) and more than Wright (4) and Small (2) combined. The three combined had 29 TDs last year and only 13 this year. That's less than half. Plus, there were 6 games this year with 0 TDs from those 3. If you can't see that's an issue from the RBs, you're delusional.

Last edited:
Comon next year. I'm dying to see what all the Milton haters are going to be b---hing about next year. He had a terrible OL to work behind for most of the year and he still put up some pretty good numbers. I hope he gets a chance at the next level. It kills me that, after all the flak, this guy is still very happy he got to play at Tennessee. I would find it hard to do that after all the low IQ fans out there dumping on him all year long. Good Luck Joe.

Comon next year. I'm dying to see what all the Milton haters are going to be b---hing about next year. He had a terrible OL to work behind for most of the year and he still put up some pretty good numbers. I hope he gets a chance at the next level. It kills me that, after all the flak, this guy is still very happy he got to play at Tennessee. I would find it hard to do that after all the low IQ fans out there dumping on him all year long. Good Luck Joe.
I’m not sure why you all take it so personal that some pointed out joes flaws. He was a class act while he was here. I respect that and hope the best for him at the next level. But like many I understand that he struggled to be a next level QB. He couldn’t read, he couldn’t make decisions, and often lacked on field football IQ. Sometimes those things just can’t be taught. Statistically, he was an underperforming QB in the SEC. Those are facts. Not personal attacks. He really held back the offense at times. Our offensive line actually played decent ball this year, especially given the moving around and injuries. Some of us were just ready to get our future valuable experience. Kind of like looking to the bowl game. Joe nor the university stands to gain anything from Milton playing in the bowl game. But I’ll still bet he does. You can’t create game speed in practice. You just can’t. Every rep we can get our future at this point is a positive.

Reactions: cgrish
I’m not sure why you all take it so personal that some pointed out joes flaws. He was a class act while he was here. I respect that and hope the best for him at the next level. But like many I understand that he struggled to be a next level QB. He couldn’t read, he couldn’t make decisions, and often lacked on field football IQ. Sometimes those things just can’t be taught. Statistically, he was an underperforming QB in the SEC. Those are facts. Not personal attacks. He really held back the offense at times. Our offensive line actually played decent ball this year, especially given the moving around and injuries. Some of us were just ready to get our future valuable experience. Kind of like looking to the bowl game. Joe nor the university stands to gain anything from Milton playing in the bowl game. But I’ll still bet he does. You can’t create game speed in practice. You just can’t. Every rep we can get our future at this point is a positive.
Milton had as many rushing TDs as Sampson (7) and more than Wright (4) and Small (2) combined. The three combined had 29 TDs last year and only 13 this year. That's less than half. Plus, there were 6 games this year with 0 TDs from those 3. If you can't see that's an issue from the RBs, you're delusional.
I believe you’re discounting the fact that many teams started playing the box heavy once they saw that Milton was struggling and making awful decisions. At one time we were averaging over 230 rush yds per game. I’m willing to bet we didn’t end the season anywhere near that.

I believe you’re discounting the fact that many teams started playing the box heavy once they saw that Milton was struggling and making awful decisions. At one time we were averaging over 230 rush yds per game. I’m willing to bet we didn’t end the season anywhere near that.
The RBs didn't score a TD against Austin Peay or Vandy. No amount of stacking the box should make a difference in those 2 games.

Wright got 1000 yards this year, cool. He was also one of three on the top NCAA rushing list to only have 4. Everyone else on the top 50 had more.

The RBs didn't score a TD against Austin Peay or Vandy. No amount of stacking the box should make a difference in those 2 games.

Wright got 1000 yards this year, cool. He was also one of three on the top NCAA rushing list to only have 4. Everyone else on the top 50 had more.
We led the SEC in rushing at one point with 230/game. Sure I’d love 3 rushing TD per game but just because they didn’t find the end zone is a silly take that we have a bad run game. Any program out there would take those numbers in a heartbeat. This years team struggled in the red zone period.

We led the SEC in rushing at one point with 230/game. Sure I’d love 3 rushing TD per game but just because they didn’t find the end zone is a silly take that we have a bad run game. Any program out there would take those numbers in a heartbeat. This years team struggled in the red zone period.
This year's team struggled, period.

Milton threw for over 200/game in all but one, yet, he's the one constantly blamed as "the reason" for the struggles. If his yards don't matter because he didn't get the ball in the endzone, then the yards from the RBs shouldn't matter either.

And just for shiggles, the RBs scored at least 1 TD every game last year. I was not asking for 3/game, but expecting one of those 3 guys to score at least once in more than 6 games is not unreasonable.

Lol. I must be delusional because I'm pretty convinced we'll have a few high round draft picks that play the running back position and a QB that is scared to death to get hit. But keep tallying up those goal line zone read keepers (which I'm sure he isn't reading, but instead called by Hypuel) as noteworthy stats. 😂 😂 😂

By your silly logic, Milton throwing 2000+ yards on 300+ attempts as the only QB is as impressive as Wright rushing for 1000 yards as as one of 4 running backs. Madness.

Last edited:

I'm convinced some posters do not watch the games, but instead cling to the box scores. Not real sure how anyone can watch the guy consistently overthrow sure TDs, hold on to the ball and take unnecessary sacks, be 240 lbs and cower before getting hit by DBs on draws, throw a ball 100 mph when a receiver is 10 ft away, make the wrong read, etc, etc...

My original comment asserted Milton's lack luster play was a big problem this season, but not the only problem. Im not a Milton hater, i just think hes a below average QB with great measurables, nothing more. He was our best option this season unfortunately.

its disingenuous, though, for the one poster to try to convince people Jaylen Wright and Dylan Sampson were as big of a problem as JM.

Last edited:
Reactions: EastTNVol6240

VN Store

Back