Ten Thoughts (The Austin Peay Postgame Report)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
1. Six possessions, six touchdowns for the first team offense. Less than 100 yards for APSU when the first team D was in the first half. Despite the lackluster performance by the second string, the first team did its job and performed well. Most impressive thing? Zero penalties in a new offense. That's ridiculous and shows how much the coaching staff teaches discipline.

2. I thought Worley had a lot of good. The couple times he was pressured, he didn't look flustered. His ball fake on the read option is very good and he made correct decisions on reads. However, his feet were not settled when he had to move and that needs to get fixed. Too many throws off his back foot.

3. I thought the O-Line got a solid, consistent push, but not an overwhelming one. I would have liked to see more getting to the second level from them. They did get 200 yards rushing in the first half. How critical can you be when that happens?

4. There was a definite difference from the running backs, especially Marlin Lane. Neal put his shoulder down and got extra yards after contact. He danced a tad too much for my liking, but his feet were quick and he usually made one cut and went. Lane impressed me also. He was looking for contact and kept the pile moving forward. Really nice game from him.

5. The Travis Stephens Offensive Player of the Game: Ju'Wuan James was a road grader today. He was dominant blocking and was the only offensive linemen getting to the second level. He looked quicker and on pulling plays, he really sealed plays, especially on Lane's first TD run. I thought he did a good job also on pass protection and blitzes. Congrats to the big fella.

6. The front four got consistent pressure without any help from Jancek. He didn't blitz once on third down and he didn't need to. The interior pressure from McCullers/Hood was really impressive and I hope that stays. A little disappointment from outside rush however.

7. The linebackers just did not do a good job on scramble situations. They lost contain in their zones and APSU had too much success in the first half in the middle of the field after the initial read for APSU wasn't there. Need to get that fixed.

8. However, the defensive line read draws and screens very well. They did a good job staying in their lanes and reading the play, especially on the Hood INT. They also kept their hands up on passes by reading the QB's eyes and tipping four passes today.

9. The Al Wilson Defensive Player of the Game: Daniel Hood. Speaking of reading screens, I thought Hood played great. He used his quickness to get in the backfield, and broke up three screens plays by reading the play. He was very solid and I hope him and McCullers continue their good play.

10. Solid game. Nothing really too noteworthy. They played well in the first half. The second team didn't perform well, and I was disappointed in the front seven second team, but it's early. Worley looked comfortable, the O-Line will be great, the backs looked better, and the D-Line looks solid. We will know more next week, but nice to see some UT orange and Butch Jones getting his first win of many in Knoxville.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Reactions: 54 people
Worley's accuracy and the passing game as a whole concerns me. But I think we can all agree that we have ourselves an extremely disciplined and well coached football team. Thats refreshing.

Reactions: 12 people
I liked what I saw from the our firsts for the most part, our secondary needs improvement.

I can't get over the fact that we didn't have any penalties, that is a very good thing.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm very pleased with the penalty situation and the O-Line's push in the first half. But I hope we haven't seen the QB we finish with yet.

Don't forget the most important stat, 45-0, that is the bottom line no matter who you are playing. Work to be done, no doubt and good analysis, but the bUTch era is off to a good start! GO VOLS!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Nice write up.

I was concerned with Worley being behind nearly every pass as well, but I wonder if that's going to get worked out as he and the receivers get more reps in. He's not going to be a QB who sticks a ball in there late, so the timing has got to be there.

I feel better about our running game in terms of the running backs themselves, but the lack of depth on the oline is going to make it very difficult to be effective late in games.

I don't want to talk about the secondary.

Lots of good things tonight. I know I'm stating the obvious but we won't know much until September 14. My theory is never bury a team till they've played at home and never give a team too much credit till they play on the road.

I know it was late in the game, but I really liked the look of Summerhill. Seemed to have good vision. I liked a lot of what I saw in the really deep roster. Bodes well for the future.

Reactions: 6 people
I think we will see consistent improvement from CBJs team. Its gonna be a brick by brick deal. Its gonna be a long year but I dont think this team will quit unlike years past.

Reactions: 9 people
Check out Eastern Washington at #25 Oregon State and tell me your not satisfied. How about McNeese State at South Florida. Or North Dakota State at Kansas State. I will take our outcome all day long.

Reactions: 8 people
I was impressed by the fight in the second team defense. The talent drop off was huge, but they never gave up and they made some clutch stops to keep the Goose Egg alive.

I was disappointed we only saw Worley and Peterman. I was hoping to see some Furgeson tonight as well.

Reactions: 4 people
I hope the old saying that the most improvement happens between game 1 and game 2 holds true for the Vols. I'm afraid WK will provide much more of a challenge for this team.
Go Vols

Worley's accuracy and the passing game as a whole concerns me. But I think we can all agree that we have ourselves an extremely disciplined and well coached football team. Thats refreshing.

I think Worley will come in to his own...he was an excellent Field General tonight for sure. Especially running a fast paced offense that is new with all the subs and what not....excellent job. I keep praying he will find that inner baller in him that one him the "Gatorade Player of the Year" in high school. If his arm can catch up with his ownership of the game....these frosh WR's will look like JR's real soon.

Reactions: 1 person
The fact that UT committed NO penalties is truly amazing. Surely a tribute to the coaching staff's emphasis on discipline.

Reactions: 10 people
The Vols scored 3 points the whole 2nd half against Austin Peay.....if we loose against WK the season is over

Reactions: 4 people
It was apu n I saw nothing that will determine how good or bad we are. Peterman looked weak so he must improve and worley ran the off OK but r we good enough to come back when we r down?? I just don't know.

Btw watching all the other big dogs in sec n we just sux compared to them and the people responsible for this debacle should be burned at the stake..lol

N to all those sheep that loved dools quit being sheep n love tn n not the person running it. We r bigger than a head coach n support the vols but if the staff suxs call it out.

Now cbj has wku up next.

VN Store

Back