Ten Thoughts (The Austin Peay Postgame Report)

Our second team offense/defense is a good match for Austin Peay....thus only 3points in the 2nd half

It wasn't perfect but it reminded me of more successful times. Curb stomp your lesser opponents by halftime then tune up the reserves for meaningful reps later. Good start all in all.

For a very tired AP. Jeez, we are so shallow after the 1's it's pathetic.

Yes...way too many fans are so thirsty for success, they simply don't realize we are not where we need to be in terms of overall talent. It's simply the truth. I love and support them regardless, but I' very realistic. This could still be a very long season.

On the one hand, I am pleased with the way the Vols played. Foreman had a few miscues that Patrino may try to exploit, but overall defense played well.

Foreman isn't a starter so hopefully Petrino ties to "exploit" Foreman after we have a decent lead and he's getting second team reps.

it doesnt matter how Worley does people will always be calling for him to be benched around here. was he behind his receivers on some throws? yes. but lets face it, peterman was not impressive at all and they dont have the same tempo when hes in the game. for right now i like the management skills from Worley. guys around him seem to be buying into him and trusting him some more. his ball fake on the zone read was very very impressive. i think the WR\QB chemistry will grow as each game goes on. overall, he only had 13 or 14 attempts and he completed 11. So there is not much to get on him about. As long as hes not out there turning the ball over like crazy im okay with him doing what he does. i think he did fine for the first game. more worried about the secondary to be honest with you. Hopefully we see that jump from game 1 to game 2 that is very common with teams

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
On sportscenter they talked about the FCS teams that beat FBS teams this week, and how much they got paid. Does anyone know how much we paid AP?

For a very tired AP. Jeez, we are so shallow after the 1's it's pathetic.
I think this shows the lack of SEC talent that Dooley was recruiting. Hopefully rules will allow our coaches to release some of these guys at the end of the season and recruit above the limit for 2014 class.

So how does it feel to be leading the Nation in Scoring Defense? Oh yeah, it has been a long time since we could say that!!!

Let's savor the moment!

I'm ecstatic to see those 315 rushing yards we had. Not to mention the defense looked like the confident group of playmakers they are for the first time in years. With AJ Johnson anchoring the D and an improved secondary we could surprise some people this year. Prediction: 7-5 (which is more than the dumb "experts" who chose Vandy and Mizzou to finish above us predicted)

I know this gets said so much early in the season, but I believe it is true here: It looked to me like they were truly holding a lot of stuff back, trying to get a nice win, really stress the run, and get youth involved and get them some game experience. I don't think Butch had any thoughts about knocking anyone's socks off, I believe there are some things we will see later and that there is a lot that wasn't being shown. Just my take on it but I thought they did what they needed to do and I don't ut too much stock into last night's game. I think it goes up a notch intensity wise on Saturday. I am a pedestrian but that's just my line of thinking. I feel good about things and can't wait for WKU!

What happened to all these dropped passes we were supposed to see?

Saw a few most notably North on the one long throw but was impressed with the number of good catches made on slightly behind throws to North also. I think this young receiving group will only get better. :good!:

1. Six possessions, six touchdowns for the first team offense. Less than 100 yards for APSU when the first team D was in the first half. Despite the lackluster performance by the second string, the first team did its job and performed well. Most impressive thing? Zero penalties in a new offense. That's ridiculous and shows how much the coaching staff teaches discipline.

2. I thought Worley had a lot of good. The couple times he was pressured, he didn't look flustered. His ball fake on the read option is very good and he made correct decisions on reads. However, his feet were not settled when he had to move and that needs to get fixed. Too many throws off his back foot.

3. I thought the O-Line got a solid, consistent push, but not an overwhelming one. I would have liked to see more getting to the second level from them. They did get 200 yards rushing in the first half. How critical can you be when that happens?

4. There was a definite difference from the running backs, especially Marlin Lane. Neal put his shoulder down and got extra yards after contact. He danced a tad too much for my liking, but his feet were quick and he usually made one cut and went. Lane impressed me also. He was looking for contact and kept the pile moving forward. Really nice game from him.

5. The Travis Stephens Offensive Player of the Game: Ju'Wuan James was a road grader today. He was dominant blocking and was the only offensive linemen getting to the second level. He looked quicker and on pulling plays, he really sealed plays, especially on Lane's first TD run. I thought he did a good job also on pass protection and blitzes. Congrats to the big fella.

6. The front four got consistent pressure without any help from Jancek. He didn't blitz once on third down and he didn't need to. The interior pressure from McCullers/Hood was really impressive and I hope that stays. A little disappointment from outside rush however.

7. The linebackers just did not do a good job on scramble situations. They lost contain in their zones and APSU had too much success in the first half in the middle of the field after the initial read for APSU wasn't there. Need to get that fixed.

8. However, the defensive line read draws and screens very well. They did a good job staying in their lanes and reading the play, especially on the Hood INT. They also kept their hands up on passes by reading the QB's eyes and tipping four passes today.

9. The Al Wilson Defensive Player of the Game: Daniel Hood. Speaking of reading screens, I thought Hood played great. He used his quickness to get in the backfield, and broke up three screens plays by reading the play. He was very solid and I hope him and McCullers continue their good play.

10. Solid game. Nothing really too noteworthy. They played well in the first half. The second team didn't perform well, and I was disappointed in the front seven second team, but it's early. Worley looked comfortable, the O-Line will be great, the backs looked better, and the D-Line looks solid. We will know more next week, but nice to see some UT orange and Butch Jones getting his first win of many in Knoxville.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

This game tells us NOTHING. ZERO!! Please get this through your thick skulls! Next week will tell us a little. Oregon will tell us A LOT.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back