Tennessee Lady Vol News

It was great for the program to see the Preseason recognition continue for the LVs as a team ranked in both polls along with Rickea Jackson & Jewel Spear being named to the All-SEC team.
Some other points to add to the discussion,
I can see Rickea Jackson having a career changing season and reaching elite status in the record books of collegiate sports in her final year. I think she’ll do it as a swing forward at the 3/4 positions.
I went back to watch film from the start of her career at MS State and one game stood out to me when they faced R. Howard at Kentucky. Jackson athleticism was on full display. With her recent growth as a player following the AmeriCup games is clear to see that Rickea is the best player in not just the SEC but arguably WCB.
Destinee Wells is a true floor general.
I honestly at this moment don’t have an idea if she starts on October 30th or not.
The film she’s put together over her career is top tier at the PG position. I think her scoring will hold at double digits but where she completely enhances this program is her ability as an elite facilitator and ball handler.
Jewel Spear as I said before is a #1 option. She has the “it” factor. Completely dominated the #1 ranked portal transfer in a head to head matchup.
Spear’s shooting prowess is underrated but not for long. Jewel will become a household name in the SEC on Rocky Top.
Yes, preach it. This year, I believe, will be a special year for the LVs. Again, I predict the LVs will win the SEC regular season and the SEC Tournament. In addition, this will be the year the LVs get back to the Final Four. GBO.

Great information thank you. I am a strong believer in Wells as she is really not an unknown she has given a lot of big time teams fits in games including the Lady Vols. I'm glad we have Cooper as a recruit she will help fill some of the void left by Jackson leaving after this season. I can only hope we see a big season out of Jewell and Sarah this season. I really like the team.
Hopefully they will mesh together as a great team..I usually don't put to much stock into practice...totally different from in game action vs a rival in front of a gym full of hostile fans...

Reactions: orange beard
On Monday the
You know I'm gonna try to beat a little more info out of you. The part about TK is the best news and I'm so glad my pessimism about her was apparently wrong! Did you see her go full court at any point? Does she seem anywhere near starter mins? TK and Jill together is definitely a goal!

I can't wait to see Jewel play. I like everything about that kid. Also intrigued by Wells. She seems like a silent assassin.
On Monday the 23rd, the Lady Vols have an open practice at 5:00. I believe it is open to season ticket holders but possibly to the general public. Can't find my source but I booked it in my calendar. Any way, another chance to get a preseason look at the LVs.

On Monday the

On Monday the 23rd, the Lady Vols have an open practice at 5:00. I believe it is open to season ticket holders but possibly to the general public. Can't find my source but I booked it in my calendar. Any way, another chance to get a preseason look at the LVs.
Please give those of us not in Knoxville area a full description!! Excited for this team!
Thanks!

On Monday the

It is a season ticket holder open practice and also Q&A Session.

Attachments

• 393866867_2103407136668961_1180760663704965195_n.jpg
    393866867_2103407136668961_1180760663704965195_n.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 18

Kellie, Kea and Tess doing SEC Media Days today on SEC network. 10:40 for press conference, 12:40 for interviews.

Kyra Elzy is bring Petty to Media Days. Everyone watch your ponytail!!!

Last edited:
You know, for years we have said, why are we missing so many layups. That’s the special thing about Rickea. Do not know how our new players shoot layups, but Rickea never tosses a shot toward the basket or backboard hoping it might go in. She may have to switch sides of the basket to avoid a defender, but she always fights to force the ball to go exactly where she wants it to go against the backboard, so it can only go in the basket. Rickea has the focus, concentration, fight, and determination on her shots that remind me of the way Candace took her shots. I can only hope if our other players learn nothing else from the, yes elite, Rickea, it is this determination to stay with, and fight, to finish their shots under the basket.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

You know, for years we have said, why are we missing so many layups. That’s the special thing about Rickea. Do not know how our new players shoot layups, but Rickea never tosses a shot toward the basket or backboard hoping it might go in. She may have to switch sides of the basket to avoid a defender, but she always fights to force the ball to go exactly where she wants it to go against the backboard, so it can only go in the basket. Rickea has the focus, concentration, fight, and determination on her shots that remind me of the way Candace took her shots. I can only hope if our other players learn nothing else from the, yes elite, Rickea, it is this determination to stay with, and fight, to finish their shots under the basket.

GO LADY VOLS!!!
If I’m not mistaken, I think she averaged 71 % at the rim last year

Transcript from Kellie's interview: http://a.espncdn.com/sec/basketball/ncw/2023/SECMD Kellie Harper.pdf

Some highlights:
- We definitely do not have a timeline on her (Tamari Key) because I think when you hear people talk about day-to-day, that's very accurate with her. We have -- typically we go into a week with a weekly plan, at least a three- to four-day plan, and then make adjustments where necessary. We did get her in a few limited minutes yesterday, scrimmaging with our practice guys. That was good to see. Her presence, it's amazing how quickly her presence can be felt as soon as she steps out on the court.
- Sara Puckett has had a great summer and fall. I mean, she looks amazing. She is playing with great confidence right now. She is scoring in a variety of ways. I think her defense has improved.She's probably our best rebounder right now on the team.I could not be happier about where she's at.
- Every player on our team is better from last year, every single one of them. That's a huge statement.
- Two guards probably averaged around 15 (rebounds), total of 15. That is a big blow from two players that played a lot from the perimeter position. Right now we're not seeing that in practice. It's a huge concern of mine.

Transcript from Kellie's interview: http://a.espncdn.com/sec/basketball/ncw/2023/SECMD Kellie Harper.pdf

Some highlights:
- We definitely do not have a timeline on her (Tamari Key) because I think when you hear people talk about day-to-day, that's very accurate with her. We have -- typically we go into a week with a weekly plan, at least a three- to four-day plan, and then make adjustments where necessary. We did get her in a few limited minutes yesterday, scrimmaging with our practice guys. That was good to see. Her presence, it's amazing how quickly her presence can be felt as soon as she steps out on the court.
- Sara Puckett has had a great summer and fall. I mean, she looks amazing. She is playing with great confidence right now. She is scoring in a variety of ways. I think her defense has improved.She's probably our best rebounder right now on the team.I could not be happier about where she's at.
- Every player on our team is better from last year, every single one of them. That's a huge statement.
- Two guards probably averaged around 15 (rebounds), total of 15. That is a big blow from two players that played a lot from the perimeter position. Right now we're not seeing that in practice. It's a huge concern of mine.
Really enjoyed reading that whole transcript! Would you happen to have the one for the players?

Some highlights:
Thanks for this. It is really the most comprehensive article/interview I have seen about what has been going on behind the scenes. Reading between the lines, it sounds like Puckett may start given that she is doing better than anyone else on the team in the area that Kellie is the most worried about: rebounding. The fact that she has been practicing so well, playing better defense, and playing with a lot more confidence should seal the deal.

First 5 as of today
Wells, Spear, Puckett, Jackson, Jill

Top subs
Key, Striplin, Powell, Ace, Darby
I didn't exactly take that away. I did take away Jill starting at 5 bc once again I'm discouraged about TK. Just yesterday full court scrimmaged for first time and only for limited mins. Hopefully by SEC season she'll be a factor. In addition to Jill, RJ of course and probably Jewel are locks to start. KJH was awfully high on Sarah, and we know she falls in love every off season. Especially over rebounding. Not sure about PG though, somewhere there's an interview w Rickea where she talks about how great JP has been on D. At least at first, Powell may start over Wells, but Wells gets big mins.

The player interviews fm today are just around different places in snipets. Hopefully someone will pull them together tomorrow.

That’s how I interpreted the presser too

I agree with this analysis. Starting 5 is Wells, Spear, Puckett, Rickea, and Jillian.

Top Reserves: Darby, Striplin, Key, Ace, Powell/Wynn.

This starting lineup is outstanding if they can stay healthy. This is the best case scenario long-term and to build a strong core beyond the starting lineup. I believe it’s a great sign that Tamari Key is even making strides towards being set to return to the court during non conference play. And it’s even harder when factoring in she is competing for playing time alongside one of the most versatile PF/C talents in the SEC in Jillian Hollingshead a former McD All-American. Hollingshead looked outstanding during 3x3 play earning herself a spot on the Under 21 USA Nat’l 3x3 team before an injury sidelined her during the Foreign Tour which she looked outstanding while playing oversees as well. If Tamari Key and Karoline Striplin are coming off the bench together those are players that not only solidifies the bench but will give an advantage to the second unit defensively and put Karo in a natural position at the 4 spot. Jillian looked dominant against LSU during the SEC tourney. Had many other bright moments during the season. If she starts and stays healthy this is a double figure scorer and the most versatile offensive center in the SEC. She can handle the basketball full court and has a beautiful mid-range jumper. This is playing with house money folks. When TK is ready and gets back in full swing she’ll get her opportunities. A win-win situation for the LVs.

Cool! I'll be there if at all possible. And I'll give ya'll a FULL report, not be mysterious like ole Earl lol.
Does anyone know if the G5/G30 parking lot on top of the garage and adjacent to the arena ramp is going to be available for season ticket holders to park in who are going to the open practice? I want to avoid the hassle of a parking ticket or possible towing by UT parking police. UT hasn't said squat about where to park.

Looks like G10 for parking...
Does anyone know if the G5/G30 parking lot on top of the garage and adjacent to the arena ramp is going to be available for season ticket holders to park in who are going to the open practice? I want to avoid the hassle of a parking ticket or possible towing by UT parking police. UT hasn't said squat about where to park.
IMG_6708.jpeg

VN Store

Back