Tennessee Lady Vol News

A) That she should be fired if this season is not a success
B) She has not had as much success as she should have with the portal additions
C) Not a good High School recruiter
This is basically ridiculous click bait. No discussion of the loss of TK, Jordy’s injuries, the process it took to get RJ ready to be a leader and reach her potential. The writer knew it would be unpopular and labeled it as such. Just stirring the pot.
A is, as you noted, admittedly there to cause discussion. Which, if we disagree with the premise, automatically gets labeled click bait.
B is an opinion which in my opinion, is arguably true. Should have been better last year even given the adversities. That's sports.
C is absolutely true, and the statistics prove it. Not sure how anyone can argue this point.

I sports love KJH alot, have for years. I really, really want her to succeed here. She's done absolutely everything right culturally and ethically and that means alot. What she hasn't done is win games against elite teams nor compete for championships. This year, she has the best roster she's ever had to accomplish that vital next step. IMO she absolutely must.

If she doesn't, if we continue to hang around the edges of elite but can't quite get there, I agree an AD discussion is due on exactly what the goals for the program are. If the goals are to continue the great culture and the moderate success, KJH is probably a lifer. And maybe that's OK (with y'all, not me).

If the goal is to return to elite status, competing for championships and winning big games, at that point it would be reasonable to question if KJH is ever going to be that girl, and to explore opening the purse for a big time hire if available.

I don't think any of that is idiotic.

Jill mic-ed up for practice today.

You know what I want to see in these clips of practice? Just once? TK on the court actually scrimmaging. I'm pretty discouraged regarding her playing time, and will be very surprised if she starts or plays much if at all in the exhibition two wks fm tonight. Kellie's comments last week definitely tamped down expectations for her. Right after that in the clip she was sitting out practice with Ace, who was injured, and not even dressed. Today she's mostly on the bike. I just don't get that she is yet a full participant.

I'll be happy for her to get to play and contribute at all this year, but I no longer am counting on the presence we were hoping for. Therefore I'm forced to tinker w my predicted starting lineup. Probably Jill moves to 5 and Karo starts at 4, or Rickea slides to 4 and Tess starts in kind of a 3 guard line up.

A) That she should be fired if this season is not a success
B) She has not had as much success as she should have with the portal additions
C) Not a good High School recruiter
This is basically ridiculous click bait. No discussion of the loss of TK, Jordy’s injuries, the process it took to get RJ ready to be a leader and reach her potential. The writer knew it would be unpopular and labeled it as such. Just stirring the pot.
Got it, Agree with you on A. B isn‘t idiotic. C seems obviously factual.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98

Jill mic-ed up for practice today.

You know what I want to see in these clips of practice? Just once? TK on the court actually scrimmaging. I'm pretty discouraged regarding her playing time, and will be very surprised if she starts or plays much if at all in the exhibition two wks fm tonight. Kellie's comments last week definitely tamped down expectations for her. Right after that in the clip she was sitting out practice with Ace, who was injured, and not even dressed. Today she's mostly on the bike. I just don't get that she is yet a full participant.

I'll be happy for her to get to play and contribute at all this year, but I no longer am counting on the presence we were hoping for. Therefore I'm forced to tinker w my predicted starting lineup. Probably Jill moves to 5 and Karo starts at 4, or Rickea slides to 4 and Tess starts in kind of a 3 guard line up.

Hasn’t Kellie been tampering expectations of TK this whole time. It’s not fair to her to expect her to be back so fast esp in full form. I do think she’ll be better by SEC play but honestly wasn’t this expected.

Will be really curious for another Kellie media release. Also SEC media days are this week! Thursday or Friday should tell us more

Hasn’t Kellie been tampering expectations of TK this whole time. It’s not fair to her to expect her to be back so fast esp in full form. I do think she’ll be better by SEC play but honestly wasn’t this expected.

Will be really curious for another Kellie media release. Also SEC media days are this week! Thursday or Friday should tell us more
Maybe its my expectations that were out of line. When she was medically cleared last spring, I thought she'd be ready in six months time. I gather that medically she is, but maybe not emotionally or mentally. KJH has talked about how being an elite athlete is a state of mind and can be hard to re-achieve. Also, if I were TK, I'd be medically hesitant even if they did medically clear me. I probably over-expected, I thought she'd play some in Europe lol. I'll just be happy for her to get to play at all at this point.

I believe Rickea and Tess are going to media days. I expect KJH to keep the same line on TK, it's up to her and we'll see what we see.

Got it, Agree with you on A. B isn‘t idiotic. C seems obviously factual.
Obviously this is an opinion question, glass half full etc. Regarding B I think it is idiotic to to not take into consideration what the season might have looked like with a healthy TK and Jordy for the whole season. All teams have injuries for sure but those are two pretty big cogs to not have. Additionally we took a couple on the chin while Kellie and RJ worked on getting RJ integrated into the program. Maybe those early losses cost us some seeding in the tournament but boy were they worth it! We have a legitimate POY candidate who has made leaps in terms of being a mature leader. This seems like a pretty big success with a portal player to me. One a lot of coaches would not have been able to do.
And oh btw we did beat the national champs last year. That is a pretty big win.
C) A little chicken and egg to me here. Juries still out
Again it is all just opinion.

Maybe its my expectations that were out of line. When she was medically cleared last spring, I thought she'd be ready in six months time. I gather that medically she is, but maybe not emotionally or mentally. KJH has talked about how being an elite athlete is a state of mind and can be hard to re-achieve. Also, if I were TK, I'd be medically hesitant even if they did medically clear me. I probably over-expected, I thought she'd play some in Europe lol. I'll just be happy for her to get to play at all at this point.

I believe Rickea and Tess are going to media days. I expect KJH to keep the same line on TK, it's up to her and we'll see what we see.
Keep in mind even when Trey Smith returned from his blood clots, the first season he was back they didn't have him practice full speed at all so he'd be available for games.

TK's medically team knows way mote than any of us.

Keep in mind even when Trey Smith returned from his blood clots, the first season he was back they didn't have him practice full speed at all so he'd be available for games.

TK's medically team knows way mote than any of us.
Actually, Kellie said she and the medical team take guidance fm TK. In their eyes, she's completely ready to go. But she has to be comfortable with it and as yet is not. Very understandably.

Also, football and basketball are way different obviously. No way TK plays if she is not fully practicing after a year long layoff.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Everyone has an opinion. If they significantly underperform this year, there's a small chance she's replaced.
Barring that scenario, she stays.
I'm am trying to figure out what "significant underperformance" means to the average Vol fan. I assume that, at minimum, she must make the NCAA tourney and win the first game or y'all will be breaking out the pitchforks and torches.

Is anything less than the Sweet 16 a "significant underperformance?"

Elite 8?

I'm am trying to figure out what "significant underperformance" means to the average Vol fan. I assume that, at minimum, she must make the NCAA tourney and win the first game or y'all will be breaking out the pitchforks and torches.

Elite 8?
You would probably get 9 different answers if you asked 10 different LV fans.
Personally, I would go with:
Finishing 3rd or lower in the SEC regular season.
Not making the championship game in the SEC playoff.
Not making it to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA playoffs.
If ALL 3 of the above come into realization, I would say that the team significantly underperformed.
(Injuries have to be accounted for).

I thought that they would be ranked higher than #11. There are at least 4 teams that, imo, we should be ranked ahead of.
I’m good with it. We’ve got plenty of opportunities to gain ground and establish our mark. Five SEC schools in the top 25. Plus others on our noncon schedule.

Elite 8?
I've said lo these many times, and not too proud to say it again, we'll know signif underperformance when we see it. Biggest must in my book is being competitive in, and even winning, games against elite teams. We've got to show we belong on that level and so far, except for that blessed second half against LSU, we've never done it. And we have to stop losing to the first decent team we play in the NCAA tourney. Not being able to do that last year, with that roster, was a huge disappointment. This yr, with an even better roster, we absolutely gotta. Win most of those games and the finish takes care of itself.

Boy are we getting a chance to check that box early, playing the #7,9,10, and 18 ranked teams during preseason. BTW, those who said this was a weak sauce sched just got embarrassed. I'd say our ranking is about right bc as I said above, we just haven't proven ourselves on a top 10 level. The mistrust is deserved, but the chance to change that is right here. Let's effin go!

More details on the AP poll.

Notre Dame and USCar shouldn’t be top 10..
Ole Miss is way to high
Ms St and USCal are speculation picks
Surprised Oklahoma isn’t ranked Big12 seems to be undervalued

Villanova was top 10 last year and sure lost siegrist but that’s disrespectful

Was Taylor the only player lost at Duke? Seems they should still be good too

Mid Major wise FGCU is the team that will win 30 games to have to be ranked again and MTSU returns their top players they should probably fall right outside the top 25

I've said lo these many times, and not too proud to say it again, we'll know signif underperformance when we see it. Biggest must in my book is being competitive in, and even winning, games against elite teams. We've got to show we belong on that level and so far, except for that blessed second half against LSU, we've never done it. And we have to stop losing to the first decent team we play in the NCAA tourney. Not being able to do that last year, with that roster, was a huge disappointment. This yr, with an even better roster, we absolutely gotta. Win most of those games and the finish takes care of itself.

Boy are we getting a chance to check that box early, playing the #7,9,10, and 18 ranked teams during preseason. BTW, those who said this was a weak sauce sched just got embarrassed. I'd say our ranking is about right bc as I said above, we just haven't proven ourselves on a top 10 level. The mistrust is deserved, but the chance to change that is right here. Let's effin go!
Kellie is winless against single digit seeds in the NCAAT since she’s been here. This has to be the year that changes.

Elite 8?
Pat only had one team that *didn’t* make the Sweet 16. Anything less than that should always be regarded as failure. Just making the tournament is not sufficient. Else we would’ve just kept Holly.

I'm am trying to figure out what "significant underperformance"....Is anything less than the Sweet 16 a "significant underperformance?"

Elite 8?
IMnotsoHO...Sweet 16 is the minimum goal for ANY Lady VOl team
For this team, E8 is the Mendoza line.

This is year 5 and we are arguably the most loaded team in quite a few years.
Kea and Key are "generational players"
This to me is where Coach Kellie proves she is a "generational coach"
And I believe she will!

VN Store

Back