Tennessee Lady Vol News

So so sad about Tasha. Has it's own thread.

What is this insanity about Jewel and a boot? Where did we see such a hellish pic? In the pool playing video?

Twitter posters say the LVs secret scrimmaged NC State (and WON) during their retreat weekend. Could Jewel have gotten hurt there? Please let this not be true! Also, I need details of the scrimmage.

I'm going to practice this evening and get this s*&t cleared up.

And with a really heavy heart for Tasha.
Painful for me to hear about Tasha Butts she was a wonderful player for us and an even better person. RIP wonderful Lady.

Could be expect she played. Hopefully we hear about what happened with her soon.

If the game was played yesterday, then the videos of the team breakfast which took place Saturday morning is where elite G Jewel Spear was seen wearing a walking boot.
That would suggest she didn’t play in the scrimmage game against NC State on Sunday.
I believe that Jewel Spear is fine, and possibly suffered an injury that has sidelined her day to day. One positive sign is from the videos I’ve seen she is standing/walking without crutches.
Get well soon Jewel and come back stronger to compete for a 9th Nat’l championship on Rocky Top.

View attachment 589889NC State finished 19th last season and are predicted 8th preseason by Massey so this is a pretty good sign. Obv Massey is less reliable before games are played esp in this transfer era but still!
I figure they will be picked behind Notre Dame and a couple others think they will still be projected as a top five in the ACC. Great to know that we can beat them on the road even if we don't know the score. They are a competent team that will probably win 20 games again this season.

I figure they will be picked behind Notre Dame and a couple others think they will still be projected as a top five in the ACC. Great to know that we can beat them on the road even if we don't know the score. They are a competent team that will probably win 20 games again this season.
Exactly my thoughts they return a solid core and good recruiting class and the 6th player of the ACC. Would obv want more details

So so sad about Tasha. Has it's own thread.

What is this insanity about Jewel and a boot? Where did we see such a hellish pic? In the pool playing video?

Twitter posters say the LVs secret scrimmaged NC State (and WON) during their retreat weekend. Could Jewel have gotten hurt there? Please let this not be true! Also, I need details of the scrimmage.

I'm going to practice this evening and get this s*&t cleared up.

And with a really heavy heart for Tasha.
The picture of jewel was on IG

Interesting but maybe unsurprising that Kellie said they basically have 8 starters right now and only 5 slots - and I don't think that even includes Tamari Key. It sounded like Hollingshead, Striplin, Jackson, Puckett, (T.) Darby, Spear, Wells, and Powell. She also wouldn't really say if one of the point guards had separated themselves yet, but did note Powell's active on-ball defense (almost sounded like it might be the thing that would tip the scales in her favor).

Don't love that she said they haven't been shooting that well this fall, but I suppose I'd rather them be in a slump now than during the season!

Do you want the bad news first?

Sara rolled her ankle off a practice player's foot and went down with shouts of pain. That awful moment when everything goes dead silent and the only sound is her cries. She was helped to the locker room with no weight on the foot (Kellie waved away the wheelchair the managers brought out). I'm calling it a 2 week minimum injury. DAMN!

Jewel seems ok. Did not practice, was not in a boot. Walked without a limp but gingerly. Did alot of rehab stuff with trainers and rode the bike alot. Did participate in free throw drill, then got ice and goldfish crackers for the rest of practice. Seems in her usual great spirits.

About TK. Oh boy. I decided the best word for her situation is ponderous. Both the process and her movements are just ponderous. Kellie told us beforehand that her goal for today was to make TK "struggle". She did not ever struggle that I saw, mostly because she does not yet have a gear that would lead one to struggle fm the effort. She did participate alot, even went up and down several times in drills. Got blocked by a 6 ft practice guy bc she still does not jump. Does still have the nice mid range shot. Kellie emphasized the test now for TK and everyone is patience. Hopefully, gradually the breakthru will come.

Just to totally ruin my life, I now have an injury concern re Rickea. She's been wearing the leg sleeve lately, which I took to be a fashion statement. But she was wincing, flexing, and rubbing on that leg at times. Also, when everyone else runs lines for something that displeases KJH, she heads for the bike and pedals madly along with TK and whoever else is recently injured. No extra running for RJ. She mentioned this summer that her "knees are not that good anymore" and this may be a common sense precaution. Also just to scare me, RJ was not present for first 15 or so mins of practice. Could have been extra media day interviews.

Jill is wearing a shoulder harness thingie but looked good.

Last edited:
About the actual practice. Kellie had a little briefing beforehand for us and said although they "won" the scrimmage yesterday, she was not very pleased, espec w defense and rebounding (same as it ever was). Told us there would not be much 5 on 5 scrimmaging as a result, but lots of drills. And she wasn't kidding. The practice was almost exclusively defense and rebounding drills and simulations, though a couple of the drills did involve going full court when they got a rebound.

They drilled against the practice guys (God love them!) and just in random groups. There was absolutely nothing to indicate any kind of starting lineup. KJH got after them a little for low energy, but said to group after practice that it's been a grueling few days. Bonding day in mountains Saturday, met at the super secret location for 2 1/2 hr scrimmage Sunday, then 3 hrs back to Knoxville. Class today and then the practice went a little over 2 hrs. Makes me tired just typing it.

Random observations:
-I sure wish Cooper was eligible. She's special athletically. As with Rickea, you can immediately see the difference. She's getting tons of work, playing alot with the practice team but also participating in team drills. She's going to be a difference maker.

-I thought Powell looked good early in the practice - quick, crisp, hitting shots. But later she got beat repeatedly to the basket to the point she got a little frustrated w herself. Wells remains an enigma. Very low key and quiet.

-Sara looked very good before going down. She and Rickea go back and forth between the post and the guard drill group.

-Rickea is first down the floor every single time they go full court. They could run fast break for her almost every play if they wanted to. Also, no one in attendance today, male, female or other could stop her in the post when she gets the ball there.

-Tess got probably the sternest rebuke. It was over defense, and KJH may have emphatically mentioned it was something she also saw yesterday in the scrimmage. Tess did hit some nice threes, of course.

Sara rolled her ankle off a practice player's foot and went down with shouts of pain. That awful moment when everything goes dead silent and the only sound is her cries. She was helped to the locker room with no weight on the foot (Kellie waved away the wheelchair the managers brought out). I'm calling it a 2 week minimum injury. DAMN!

Jewel seems ok. Did not practice, was not in a boot. Walked without a limp but gingerly. Did alot of rehab stuff with trainers and rode the bike alot. Did participate in free throw drill, then got ice and goldfish crackers for the rest of practice. Seems in her usual great spirits.

About TK. Oh boy. I decided the best word for her situation is ponderous. Both the process and her movements are just ponderous. Kellie told us beforehand that her goal for today was to make TK "struggle". She did not ever struggle that I saw, mostly because she does not yet have a gear that would lead one to struggle fm the effort. She did participate alot, even went up and down several times in drills. Got blocked by a 6 ft practice guy bc she still does not jump. Does still have the nice mid range shot. Kellie emphasized the test now for TK and everyone is patience. Hopefully, gradually the breakthru will come.

Just to totally ruin my life, I now have an injury concern re Rickea. She's been wearing the leg sleeve lately, which I took to be a fashion statement. But she was wincing, flexing, and rubbing on that leg at times. Also, when everyone else runs lines for something that displeases KJH, she heads for the bike and pedals madly along with TK and whoever else is recently injured. No extra running for RJ. She mentioned this summer that her "knees are not that good anymore" and this may be a common sense precaution. Also to scare me, RJ was not present for first 15 or so mins of practice. Could have been extra media day interviews.

Oh no! Sara :( praying for her hopefully just a hyperextention.

All the posts biking sounds pretty standard. They have been doing that all summer

Wouldn’t doubt if NC State tried to rough us up too

Oh no! Sara :( praying for her hopefully just a hyperextention.

All the posts biking sounds pretty standard. They have been doing that all summer

Wouldn’t doubt if NC State tried to rough us up too
Sara rolled it pretty good. It was right in front of us, easy to see. Hopefully nothing serious.

All posts didn't bike. Jill and Karo never biked. It was TK, Jewel, Ace (who was recently nicked up) and then Rickea. It is definitely a purposeful decision regarding her. Rickea also headed for the bike a couple of times while waiting her turn in drills, as if to stay warm. Hey I'm all for whatever keeps her playing big mins, don't wear out the wheels on the Ferrari!

On a fun note, the players were each asked what game they most looked forward to this season. The winner? LSU by a country mile! A couple said the politically correct "all of them", Rickea said Notre Dame and all of them, and Cooper said "South Carolina" to laughter and big applause from the fans. Everyone else got Kim and the Barbies circled.

Last edited:

Just to totally ruin my life, I now have an injury concern re Rickea. She's been wearing the leg sleeve lately, which I took to be a fashion statement. But she was wincing, flexing, and rubbing on that leg at times. Also, when everyone else runs lines for something that displeases KJH, she heads for the bike and pedals madly along with TK and whoever else is recently injured. No extra running for RJ. She mentioned this summer that her "knees are not that good anymore" and this may be a common sense precaution. Also just to scare me, RJ was not present for first 15 or so mins of practice. Could have been extra media day interviews.

Sounds like a M*A*S*H unit already. Dammit.

My spirit just went in the toilet! Wish you had never gone @glv98! 😩🥹🥲😂
I know, I'm sorry. Sara's injury really put a damper on the whole thing. But I think everything else will be OK. TK is what it is now, Jewel is def on the mend, and I really think the Rickea thing is just precautionary due to wear and tear. It'll be all right.

Interesting but maybe unsurprising that Kellie said they basically have 8 starters right now and only 5 slots - and I don't think that even includes Tamari Key. It sounded like Hollingshead, Striplin, Jackson, Puckett, (T.) Darby, Spear, Wells, and Powell. She also wouldn't really say if one of the point guards had separated themselves yet, but did note Powell's active on-ball defense (almost sounded like it might be the thing that would tip the scales in her favor).

Don't love that she said they haven't been shooting that well this fall, but I suppose I'd rather them be in a slump now than during the season!
Maybe Kellie is just complimenting Powell, but we need Wells in a big way. Check out their stat comparisons, there is no comparison.

On whether there is a learning curve with Destinee Wells coming into the program…
"For Destinee in particular, the biggest challenge for her is to continue to look for her opportunities and not just defer. She can really score, and we've seen that. There are times when she will get into running the offense and look for her teammates. I just have to remind her of how good she is. We need her to look for scoring opportunities as well. Destinee can create shots for herself or other people."

VN Store

Back