Tennessee Lady Vol News

We can't be a four seed and make the elite 8 or further unless we do something like the Diamondbacks and Rangers did in Baseball. Winning in the regular season and getting that one or two seed is huge and being a one is a huge advantage getting beyond the sweet sixteen. We'll know about this team really early cause you have to win home games even if it is LSU, Ohio State, Norte Dame etc if your going to get that high seed. If were losing most of those games then this team is overrated and you can again look for sweet sixteen as the best option for the team. We'll know a lot after the pre-season games are over just like last year.
I don’t know about some players on the roster, but we have Rickea, and one player can have some legendary performances and carry a team to a final four, and I think she’s one of those players.

I’ve watched LSU and South Carolina play exhibition contests.. and this Tennessee team is built to win a SEC and NCAA championship. Tennessee portal additions were not just key in adding talent but providing high quality players. I’ll wait to see the starting lineup on Monday and I believe the five Harper starts with need to stick. Some nights as outstanding a player and world class basketball talent Rickea Jackson is if they have the hot hand the offense needs to run through Destinee Wells, Jewel Spear, or Jillian Hollingshead. Rickea does not have to carry this team by herself.
There doesn’t need to be any shifting and trying to fit pieces during the season.
My scouting report for LSU is they play at a lethargic pace and are not as skilled individual basketball players as the analysts are evaluating this group.
Example: I didn’t see four All-SEC players on the court last night. Even if it’s early in the season you can see the ceiling of a player/team.
The fact is high school recruiting services and basketball scouts are not good at evaluating talent.
College basketball is different and teams that just recruit players based on stars and rankings are going to see that the return on their NIL investments are not matching up.
AAU basketball has caused a major decline in HS recruiting.

I’ve watched LSU and South Carolina play exhibition contests.. and this Tennessee team is built to win a SEC and NCAA championship. Tennessee portal additions were not just key in adding talent but providing high quality players. I’ll wait to see the starting lineup on Monday and I believe the five Harper starts with need to stick. Some nights as outstanding a player and world class basketball talent Rickea Jackson is if they have the hot hand the offense needs to run through Destinee Wells, Jewel Spear, or Jillian Hollingshead. Rickea does not have to carry this team by herself.
There doesn’t need to be any shifting and trying to fit pieces during the season.
My scouting report for LSU is they play at a lethargic pace and are not as skilled individual basketball players as the analysts are evaluating this group.
The fact is high school recruiting services and basketball scouts are not good at evaluating talent.
College basketball is different and teams that just recruit players based on stars and rankings are going to see that the return on their NIL investments are not matching up.
AAU basketball has caused a major decline in HS recruiting.
You list what u think their weaknesses are, can u tell me what the lady vils weaknesses are, as if u were not a fan of the team?

You list what u think their weaknesses are, can u tell me what the lady vils weaknesses are, as if u were not a fan of the team?

I’m not going to talk weaknesses and strengths of either team. I’m telling you LSU beat a team by 60 or 70 points playing all their starters through 3 to 4 quarters in an exhibition game that would’ve loss to any other Top 25 WCB by 60 or 70 points if they played their starters for 3 to 4 quarters.
LSU is certainly a Top 15 team but not a super team.
I would like to know exactly what was Tennessee score or breakdown in the NC State scrimmage without elite G Jewel “Fear Da Spear” Spear! From sources, it seems Destinee Wells and Jasmine Powell played together in the backcourt during this contest.

As for LSU, the pace and effort which they played with last night was underwhelming. Morris still doesn’t get enough credit for what she brought to that team last season. She carried that team offensively.
They don’t have a single player that will provide what Morris did last season.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think the LSU weakness is three point shooting. They are going to be a very strong post and rebounding team and don't see them losing until SEC play as their schedule is not that strong in pre-season. I think they are definitely a contender for the conference championship and the only way to exploit them is to make them shoot perimeter shots and hope they miss like they did in this game 4 of 19.

Tennessee looks to have problems rebounding and possibly some defensive matchups. Tennessee gets a lot better if Tamari gets back to her old form cause she cures a lot of the defensive problems. I think the Tennessee strengths are going to be Rickea being able to take advantage of superior three point shooting cause that is what it is going to take for Tennessee to be successful. If teams have to take Rickea one on one due to perimeter shooting then the Tennessee offense will be one of the most explosive in the nation.

SC looks like a well rounded team with enough rebounding and inside game to make them hard to guard. They seem to have more perimeter shooting than last season.

Really need to see all three teams against better competition. We beat Rutgers last season by 44 on a neutral court and they aren't any better this season.

I think any of these three teams and Ole Miss as well could win the SEC title. It comes down to players making plays and you also need a little luck as well as favorable calls from Refs. So many things can change a two or three possession game.

I’m not going to talk weaknesses and strengths of either team. I’m telling you LSU beat a team by 60 or 70 points playing all their starters through 3 to 4 quarters in an exhibition game that would’ve loss to any other Top 25 WCB by 60 or 70 points if they played their starters for 3 to 4 quarters.
LSU is certainly a Top 15 team but not a super team.
I would like to know exactly what was Tennessee score or breakdown in the NC State scrimmage without elite G Jewel “Fear Da Spear” Spear! From sources, it seems Destinee Wells and Jasmine Powell played together in the backcourt during this contest.

As for LSU, the pace and effort which they played with last night was underwhelming. Morris still doesn’t get enough credit for what she brought to that team last season. She carried that team offensively.
They don’t have a single player that will provide what Morris did last season.

I didn’t watch the exhibition but I won’t judge a team like that, what if we don’t look great against Carson Newman, what will they say? I do t think Wells and Powell should ever be on the floor at the same time, no reason to have 2 5’6 guards on the floor at the same time. I’m confident in what Rickea, Spear and Hollingshead will bring, but I need to see the rest in Sec play and big games, I won’t take much out of what the others do against inferior competition, but that’s me.

I think the LSU weakness is three point shooting. They are going to be a very strong post and rebounding team and don't see them losing until SEC play as their schedule is not that strong in pre-season. I think they are definitely a contender for the conference championship and the only way to exploit them is to make them shoot perimeter shots and hope they miss like they did in this game 4 of 19.

Tennessee looks to have problems rebounding and possibly some defensive matchups. Tennessee gets a lot better if Tamari gets back to her old form cause she cures a lot of the defensive problems. I think the Tennessee strengths are going to be Rickea being able to take advantage of superior three point shooting cause that is what it is going to take for Tennessee to be successful. If teams have to take Rickea one on one due to perimeter shooting then the Tennessee offense will be one of the most explosive in the nation.

SC looks like a well rounded team with enough rebounding and inside game to make them hard to guard. They seem to have more perimeter shooting than last season.

Really need to see all three teams against better competition. We beat Rutgers last season by 44 on a neutral court and they aren't any better this season.

I think any of these three teams and Ole Miss as well could win the SEC title. It comes down to players making plays and you also need a little luck as well as favorable calls from Refs. So many things can change a two or three possession game.

That’s a pretty good analysis, I can agree with that.

Destinee Wells and Jasmine Powell were good enough to play together on the court and beat NC State in a scrimmage. I’ll take it.
Tennessee rebounding is a topic and maybe rightfully so, there’s a lot more to basketball than that one statistical area. If Tennessee can stay healthy then I feel the chances of winning a lot of games are very very very high.

Carson Newman roster basically the same as last season with a lot of players back. If I would say that there is anything we should take from the game is how many points they score. Last year they scored 63 and for most of the season our defense wasn't very good. I will think were on the right track if we can hold them in the 40's for this game. I expect us to score over 100 and we should see about 25 threes made between the two teams.

If they sit back and don’t apply pressure defensively then just about any team will score points in an exhibition game.
I’m not expecting a full court press, but would like to see the defense mix it up between possessions.
LSU got a lot of easy baskets against East Baptist last night off of extending the defense and blitzing the passing lanes!

After seeing LSU get the benefit of the doubt, it really doesn’t matter what happens in this Carson Newman game offensively or definitively.. just play basketball, come out the game healthy and play the entire roster.
I hope we give a true look against Team USA on both ends of the court.
GBO🍊!

Destinee Wells and Jasmine Powell were good enough to play together on the court and beat NC State in a scrimmage. I’ll take it.
Tennessee rebounding is a topic and maybe rightfully so, there’s a lot more to basketball than that one statistical area. If Tennessee can stay healthy then I feel the chances of winning a lot of games are very very very high.
I disagree, but if u watched the exhibition game against NC State, can u tell me where to watch it. If we play both 5’6 together for any extended time in the big games it will be a disaster.

Carson Newman roster basically the same as last season with a lot of players back. If I would say that there is anything we should take from the game is how many points they score. Last year they scored 63 and for most of the season our defense wasn't very good. I will think were on the right track if we can hold them in the 40's for this game. I expect us to score over 100 and we should see about 25 threes made between the two teams.
Massey has us at 94-49 if we go over 100 I see them getting 50’s IMG_9070.jpeg

I never said I watched the NC State - Tennessee scrimmage. It was a scrimmage. It’s been announced that they won it. Jewel Spear didn’t play in the game. Coach Harper has stated that she can play both PGs at the same time. So what I said is if that combination of playing them together(inference) in practice and against NC State scrimmage (practice) is good enough..then I’ll take it.
It’s no more of a disaster than playing two Cs together to put size on the court.
You do it some nights and avoid it on other nights. Not a big enough of a deal to debate about it though.

So, is scheduling a game against WNBA players a good idea? We get publicity for sure. I hope we don’t come out scared, awed, or tentative, I hope we play to win. If our end of bench plays, I’ll know we’re not trying to win.

Another thing, we can’t afford injuries. Kellie said we have 8 starters. If our 5 starters are Wells, Jewel, Rickea, Jillian, and Striplin, that, to me, means Tess, Sara, and Powell are probably subs, because not one of them should start instead of anyone in that starting 5. If Jill and Striplin only play the 5 position, then Sara could start at the 4.

This is a small roster, we’re going to need our top players healthy and injury free all year, and that’s a tall order.

Last edited:
I never said I watched the NC State - Tennessee scrimmage. It was a scrimmage. It’s been announced that they won it. Jewel Spear didn’t play in the game. Coach Harper has stated that she can play both PGs at the same time. So what I said is if that combination of playing them together(inference) in practice and against NC State scrimmage (practice) is good enough..then I’ll take it.
It’s no more of a disaster than playing two Cs together to put size on the court.
You do it some nights and avoid it on other nights. Not a big enough of a deal to debate about it though.
They don’t need to play together, all I have to say about Powell is I’ve seen tape on her for 4 years. Maybe when playing cupcakes they can but that’s about it.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Yeah, the only thing Kellie seems concerned about is our rebounding, but obviously that's a biggie. Jordan Horston and Jordan Walker were both remarkably good rebounders, especially for guards, and so it's going to be interesting to see if anyone (or two) players will make it their mission to develop the type of desire to do that tough task for the team. I mean, it takes guts to be a great rebounder because if you go after it and are just a tad late getting there and the opponent beats you to it, then you're left having to put in even more exhausting effort to make sure you can still get back down the floor to defend in time to make a difference.

Being a great rebounder is hard, but a team with several of them willing to do that hard thing consistently is going to win a lot of games.

So, is scheduling a game against WNBA players a good idea? We get publicity for sure. I hope we don’t come out scared, awed, or tentative, I hope we play to win. If our end of bench plays, I’ll know we’re not trying to win.

Another thing, we can’t afford injuries. Kellie said we have 8 staters. If our starters are Wells, Jewel, Rickea, Jillian, and Striplin, that, to me, means Tess, Sara, and Powell are subs, because not one of them should start instead of anyone in that starting 5.

This is a small roster, we’re going to need our top players healthy and injury free.

Tennessee is a physically imposing team. They won’t have the overall team height advantage over professional athletes but this team won’t look like the typical college athletes even on the court against WNBA players!

Also, most teams have the same number of players as Tennessee 13 this season.
Talaysia Cooper redshirt makes its 12 to play in games.
Whether it’s 15 or 13 teams that play at a high level usually play no more than 7 or 8 in their rotation. I’ll say Tennessee plays anywhere from 9 possibly 10 depending on Ace & Kaiya development and Tamari Key return to the court early in the season.
This team has really really good depth.
I believe they should really get after it against Team USA. Play a hard and physical Lady Vols brand of basketball.

Tennessee is a physically imposing team. They won’t have the overall team height advantage over professional athletes but this team won’t look like the typical college athletes even on the court against WNBA players!

Also, most teams have the same number of players as Tennessee 13 this season.
Talaysia Cooper redshirt makes its 12 to play in games.
Whether it’s 15 or 13 teams that play at a high level usually play no more than 7 or 8 in their rotation. I’ll say Tennessee plays anywhere from 9 possibly 10 depending on Ace & Kaiya development and Tamari Key return to the court early in the season.
This team has really really good depth.
I believe they should really get after it against Team USA. Play a hard and physical Lady Vols brand of basketball.
Talaysia is ineligible for all events this year

VN Store

Back