Tennessee Lady Vol News

We do need to win all 5. To act like we aren’t in the top 4 in the SEC is a little silly though.

Kellie did this to herself with her schedule. Needs to quit scheduling like she’s at a mid-major and join the big leagues. Play a bunch of cupcakes to get your team playing together and work on chemistry. Throw in 1-2 max 3 quality teams in the non-con. This playing 5 ranked teams to start the season is dumb.

OU did the same thing and have also played their way out of the conversation and top 25. Same problem. A mid-major coach still scheduling like she’s at a mid-major. You’re the big dog now, schedule like it.

Only time I can see it being beneficial to schedule like we have been is if you’re coming off a Natty and didn’t lose any players. By all means, load that schedule up.

I agree the schedule has been her demise for the last two seasons. It's hard to ignore the number of losses (even if you've played quality teams. LSU showed last year it doesn't matter if you play cupcakes). We currently have 0 wins over the top 50 net teams. Our best win is #60 Oklahoma and #72 Auburn, so I think this next week of games will likely determine TN's post-season fate. The SEC traditionally gets 6 or more teams into the league, so if we can finish 4th or 5th in the league we will have a chance Selection Monday.

I agree the schedule has been her demise for the last two seasons. It's hard to ignore the number of losses (even if you've played quality teams. LSU showed last year it doesn't matter if you play cupcakes). We currently have 0 wins over the top 50 net teams. Our best win is #60 Oklahoma and #72 Auburn, so I think this next week of games will likely determine TN's post-season fate. The SEC traditionally gets 6 or more teams into the league, so if we can finish 4th or 5th in the league we will have a chance Selection Monday.
As I stated above (#8,394), I believe the LVs will win the next five games. Let's talk about tournament chances, or as you state "TN's post-season fate," then. Go get'em. GBO.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
We do need to win all 5. To act like we aren’t in the top 4 in the SEC is a little silly though.

Kellie did this to herself with her schedule. Needs to quit scheduling like she’s at a mid-major and join the big leagues. Play a bunch of cupcakes to get your team playing together and work on chemistry. Throw in 1-2 max 3 quality teams in the non-con. This playing 5 ranked teams to start the season is dumb.

OU did the same thing and have also played their way out of the conversation and top 25. Same problem. A mid-major coach still scheduling like she’s at a mid-major. You’re the big dog now, schedule like it.

Only time I can see it being beneficial to schedule like we have been is if you’re coming off a Natty and didn’t lose any players. By all means, load that schedule up.
The in a row is the killer… bc 1 player (cough cough Rickea) goes down your scrambling… well actually we’ve had over 16 injuries this year so even more to my point. IN A ROW. Like throw the girls a bone

After last night's win, we moved up 7 spots in the NET to #67, 4 spots at Massey to #34, and 1 spot at Her Hoop Stats to #37. One game at a time, clawing our way back up.
After the Florida win, we move up another 3 spots in the NET to #64, 2 spots at Massey to #32, and 1 spot at Her Hoop Stats to #36.

TAMU is #27 in the NET so would be a huge road win for our NET (though they're ranked below us at #40 at Massey and #57 at Her Hoop Stats)..

After the Florida win, we move up another 3 spots in the NET to #64, 2 spots at Massey to #32, and 1 spot at Her Hoop Stats to #36.

TAMU is #27 in the NET so would be a huge road win for our NET (though they're ranked below us at #40 at Massey and #57 at Her Hoop Stats)..
As I say NET is terrible…

Taking a look at Her Hoops Stats and really impressed with what Jewel Spear has done so far in conference play. It's a limited sample size (against teams likely in the bottom half of the league), but still, so far she is in the top 10 of the SEC in many categories:
- 1st in the SEC in 2pt. %: 76.5%
- 2nd in FT made per game: 6.3
- 2nd in A/TO ratio: 5.0
- 3rd in player offensive rating: 157.6
- 3rd in offensive win shares: 0.5
- 4th in win shares: 0.5
- 5th in PER: 30.6
- 5th in foul rate: 1.0%
- 5th in points per play: 1.37
- 6th in points per shot attempt: 1.41
- 7th in TO per game: 0.3
- 7th in TO%: 2.9%
- 7th in FT rate: 37.0%
- 9th in FG%: 58.3%
- 10th in points per 40 minutes: 23.2

And she's done all of this while being cold from 3 (1 for 7 so far).

Taking a look at Her Hoops Stats and really impressed with what Jewel Spear has done so far in conference play. It's a limited sample size (against teams likely in the bottom half of the league), but still, so far she is in the top 10 of the SEC in many categories:
- 1st in the SEC in 2pt. %: 76.5%
- 2nd in FT made per game: 6.3
- 2nd in A/TO ratio: 5.0
- 3rd in player offensive rating: 157.6
- 3rd in offensive win shares: 0.5
- 4th in win shares: 0.5
- 5th in PER: 30.6
- 5th in foul rate: 1.0%
- 5th in points per play: 1.37
- 6th in points per shot attempt: 1.41
- 7th in TO per game: 0.3
- 7th in TO%: 2.9%
- 7th in FT rate: 37.0%
- 9th in FG%: 58.3%
- 10th in points per 40 minutes: 23.2

And she's done all of this while being cold from 3 (1 for 7 so far).
I love the fact that Jewel seems to be expanding her game at Tennessee. She was known as a jump shooter and 3 point bomber during her time at Wake Forest and in the ACC. She has surprised a lot of teams I'm sure with her ability to get to the paint and score or get fouled and her free throw percentage is outstanding. She needs to work on her footwork laterally and foot speed overall on the defensive side of things, but she has improved 10 fold since putting on a UT uniform. When you watch her play, she seems to play with a joy and love of the game which makes me want to root for her.

I love the fact that Jewel seems to be expanding her game at Tennessee. She was known as a jump shooter and 3 point bomber during her time at Wake Forest and in the ACC. She has surprised a lot of teams I'm sure with her ability to get to the paint and score or get fouled and her free throw percentage is outstanding. She needs to work on her footwork laterally and foot speed overall on the defensive side of things, but she has improved 10 fold since putting on a UT uniform. When you watch her play, she seems to play with a joy and love of the game which makes me want to root for her.
What?!? Good player development at Tennessee? You mean like the improvements Rae, Jordy, Rikea, TK have all made with this Staff’s help?
This post is obviously not pointed at you. Just pointing out other player’s games Kellie et al have really improved for the Kellie can’t develop players crowd.

What?!? Good player development at Tennessee? You mean like the improvements Rae, Jordy, Rikea, TK have all made with this Staff’s help?
This post is obviously not pointed at you. Just pointing out other player’s games Kellie et al have really improved for the Kellie can’t develop players crowd.
exactly

Reactions: chuckiepoo and Lucy
Yall I know this is COMPLETELY off topic and random, but does anybody remember the refs name that used to absolutely have it out for Glory Johnson back then? I mean Glory couldn’t even look upset or it was a tech!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The LV season probably rests on the next six games, four of which are road games. after those games, the final 5 games have 3 at home but includes SC twice, LSU, VD and aTm. Toughest last 5 game stretch In the conference. They need to make hay in the next 6 games.

So in the next 6 games, again 4 being road games, I would think at a minimum 4-2 is required. That puts the team at 14-8. In the last 5 games, if they go 2-3 that puts them at 16-11 which is borderline tourney at best. Prob would need a few wins in the SEC tournament which puts them at 18-12 and safely in imo.

The committee won’t leave an 18 win UT out of the tourney for the first time. Maybe not even a 17 win team. But as I pointed out above, it’s getting to the point now where the margin for error is getting small. Of course there is the chance UT will knock off SC or LSU and that changes everything esp if they make a nice SEC tourney run. The next 6 game stretch is really important, minimum 4 wins required.

We still really need some signature wins, but after yesterday's loss, we hold steady at #64 in the NET, #32 in Massey, and drop 1 spot to #37 at Her Hoop Stats.

In the next 3 games, a win at Mississippi St. (#33 in the NET) would be huge, and wins at home against Vandy (#48) and at Ole Miss (down to #58 - worse than MTSU) are pretty much critical. Our only Q1 win is at #67 Auburn (looks better after LSU's loss there), and we only have two Q2 wins: at home against #49 Florida and the neutral win over #56 Oklahoma. I forgot that we actually get TAMU again at home, which if they hang around the top 30, would be not just a shot at revenge, but another shot at a Q1 win.

Even with last season's struggles, we went a combined 15-12 in Q1/Q2 games (all losses were Q1), whereas this season we're at 3-6 in Q1/Q2 games. I think we also got cut some slack last season for playing the #2 non-conference SOS, whereas even that is currently at #38 for us.

We still really need some signature wins, but after yesterday's loss, we hold steady at #64 in the NET, #32 in Massey, and drop 1 spot to #37 at Her Hoop Stats.

In the next 3 games, a win at Mississippi St. (#33 in the NET) would be huge, and wins at home against Vandy (#48) and at Ole Miss (down to #58 - worse than MTSU) are pretty much critical. Our only Q1 win is at #67 Auburn (looks better after LSU's loss there), and we only have two Q2 wins: at home against #49 Florida and the neutral win over #56 Oklahoma. I forgot that we actually get TAMU again at home, which if they hang around the top 30, would be not just a shot at revenge, but another shot at a Q1 win.

Even with last season's struggles, we went a combined 15-12 in Q1/Q2 games (all losses were Q1), whereas this season we're at 3-6 in Q1/Q2 games. I think we also got cut some slack last season for playing the #2 non-conference SOS, whereas even that is currently at #38 for us.
We got a four seed with that 15 and 12 record in Q1 and 2 so I suspect the reverse of that gets you an 8 or so in the NCAA. The way the SEC is going to beat each other up a 9 and 7 record will get you in. I think all the games we have left are either Q1 or Q 2 Arkansas and Missouri could turn out to be the exceptions still not likely they would have to drop below 135 . The six additional wins would raise out Q 1 and 2 to 9 and if we lost the others 12 losses. 9 and 12 can get you a low seed because they are going to take at least 6 SEC teams as they took seven last season. Three that they took had 9 and 7 conference records. Bama was 8 and 11, Georgia was 10 and 12, Miss St was 8 and 10. So six wins is the minimum goal I think to get in without winning big in the SEC Tourney.

And then back on the road again for a Thursday game with MS State. 🤞
I wouldn't be surprised to see the game at Miss. State postponed or canceled because of weather. Mississippi got the same winter storm Tennessee received plus they had a coating of ice. There is another winter storm scheduled to hit the South starting Thursday plus frigid temps. We'll see if the Lady Vols take a chance on making that trip. If the game were to be canceled like a few years ago how would that affect the Lady Vols' chances of making the NCAA tourney. Would it help them or hurt their chances?

VN Store

Back