Tennessee Lady Vol News

It'll click, just a question of when, and how many players she can trust to work the plan when the season starts.

That right there is the thing. And it may not be lack of trust on the part of players, but a natural reversion to the familiar if the going suddenly gets rough. That's what happens a lot to natural athletes. They can practice new things, but until they've practiced them and done enough repetitions to completely override the unthinking instincts they'd defaulted to in the past, there's always the risk that they'll revert to old habits to get through tight spots or extreme fatigue.

I think this is exactly what Kim anticipates early on, which is why she keeps preaching patience to everyone. It takes a LOT -- and by a lot I mean an ish-load -- of repetitions of very specific simultaneous movements and accompanying thought to overcome deeply-ingrained longtime habits. The easiest thing in the world for an athlete to do is to do the same routines they've been doing since they were 10 years old.

I don't envy Kim's task of retraining all those minds and bodies, but if it can be done at all, I believe she can make it happen. But it's definitely going to take some time. It's a lot.

That right there is the thing. And it may not be lack of trust on the part of players, but a natural reversion to the familiar if the going suddenly gets rough. That's what happens a lot to natural athletes. They can practice new things, but until they've practiced them and done enough repetitions to completely override the unthinking instincts they'd defaulted to in the past, there's always the risk that they'll revert to old habits to get through tight spots or extreme fatigue.

I think this is exactly what Kim anticipates early on, which is why she keeps preaching patience to everyone. It takes a LOT -- and by a lot I mean an ish-load -- of repetitions of very specific simultaneous movements and accompanying thought to overcome deeply-ingrained longtime habits. The easiest thing in the world for an athlete to do is to do the same routines they've been doing since they were 10 years old.

I don't envy Kim's task of retraining all those minds and bodies, but if it can be done at all, I believe she can make it happen. But it's definitely going to take some time. It's a lot.

Agreed. This is where I think the light OOC schedule, particularly in November, will benefit the team. They’ll have time to work out kinks/habits.

I also think it’ll help the players who aren’t as quick/athletic find their way and gain confidence within the system.

Coming from a Sports Psychology angle, it would be ideal if the LV video crew could put together an instructional video for fans (that would serve like Neyland's Maxims) so that fans at those early home games would have a more informed sense of what the players should be doing and should not be doing.

I'm sure CKC has long ago honed her system down to a handful or two of concept emphases.

I said "from a sports psych angle" because those early games could provide a significant source of positive (and negative) reinforcement for players during this learning adjustment period IF fans understood in broad terms those things that--differently from traditional basketball--are desirable (and not desirable) in CKC's system.

I know. Ideal.
But on the other hand, how would CKC know that there's already a precedent for that among the Tennessee fanbase? She has yet to attend a football game (another reason to look forward to those two "big" recruit visits she mentioned!), so she has probably never heard fans speak of Neyland's Maxims.

Are the maxims still repeated by the crowd before games at Neyland?
Recitation of CKC's "maxims" for this system might be worth introducing as a new Lady Vols pregame tradition. Gotta bring the blue hairs along, too!

This is purely confessional, private to the male posters here:

When female reporters are posing questions to a female coach, they all talk so fast my male brain struggles to follow their words! If you've ever been a guy walking blindly into a positive or spirited discussion between 3 or more females... you know what I mean.

Fortunately, when I slowed the video down to .75 speed, I could understand everything!

So if you aren't familiar with XX to XY translator technology...
1727729151684.png
Carry on, ladies. We're coming.

Coming from a Sports Psychology angle, it would be ideal if the LV video crew could put together an instructional video for fans (that would serve like Neyland's Maxims) so that fans at those early home games would have a more informed sense of what the players should be doing and should not be doing.

I'm sure CKC has long ago honed her system down to a handful or two of concept emphases.

I said "from a sports psych angle" because those early games could provide a significant source of positive (and negative) reinforcement for players during this learning adjustment period IF fans understood in broad terms those things that--differently from traditional basketball--are desirable (and not desirable) in CKC's system.

I know. Ideal.
But on the other hand, how would CKC know that there's already a precedent for that among the Tennessee fanbase? She has yet to attend a football game (another reason to look forward to those two "big" recruit visits she mentioned!), so she has probably never heard fans speak of Neyland's Maxims.

Recitation of CKC's "maxims" for this system might be worth introducing as a new Lady Vols pregame tradition. Gotta bring the blue hairs along, too!
Actually, General Neyland’s Maxims seem to mesh into CKC’s system seamlessly!

I’m sure Danny, among others to include her inherited team, have introduced her to the Maxims.

Actually, General Neyland’s Maxims seem to mesh into CKC’s system seamlessly!

I’m sure Danny, among others to include her inherited team, have introduced her to the Maxims.
Yeah, I can see that.
With maybe the exception that they'll be putting the ball in the air waaaaaay more times than the General would ever condone.

And on second thought, as fast as she's been going on everything basketball since Day One, I doubt they've had much discussion about football, unless it's about where she and recruits would be watching the game, and when during the game a camera will acknowledge her presence to the crowd.

Hope she gets a rousing cheer of response--would be great for recruits to hear and see that!

Last edited:

I know. Ideal.

Coming from a coach's angle,,,I would guard everything I am thinking/doing/tactics/style...everything bc not only fans are privy to this site

Reactions: chuckiepoo

I know. Ideal.

I’ll stick with Pat’s Definite Dozen.

Once again- Her honesty is SO refreshing. I really enjoyed hearing her talk about Jill. If everything clicks, this season could be special.
I loved that, too. Some other highlights for me:
- Samara and Talaysia are the point guard leaders
- I loved hearing about the whiteboard and culture of accountability she's building
- Boyd is already one of the best players at understanding the press
- Tess, Jewel, and Ace are getting better at hitting outside shots at the pace she wants to play, creating good space for drivers like Ruby, Samara, and Talaysia

Coming from a coach's angle,,,I would guard everything I am thinking/doing/tactics/style...everything bc not only fans are privy to this site
I guess that's why at the stadium they would wait to recite Neyland's Maxims until the opposing team had gone back into the locker room after warming up.

We're not talking about sharing bench signals or press designs!

The basic principles of CKC's game will look counterintuitive to fans expecting our offense to use 2/3 of the play clock passing the ball around looking for a good inside shot... or expecting players to dash back downcourt after a made shot to set up on defense.

Unless fans are educated a bit, they may boo any LV jacking up an open 3 four seconds after a steal at half court, not realizing that taking far more shots than the opponent is a strategic maxim for every game.

Nothing of that is "a secret" to our opponents--not even back in August!

I guess that's why at the stadium they would wait to recite Neyland's Maxims until the opposing team had gone back into the locker room after warming up.

We're not talking about sharing bench signals or press designs!

The basic principles of CKC's game will look counterintuitive to fans expecting our offense to use 2/3 of the play clock passing the ball around looking for a good inside shot... or expecting players to dash back downcourt after a made shot to set up on defense.

Unless fans are educated a bit, they may boo any LV jacking up an open 3 four seconds after a steal at half court, not realizing that taking far more shots than the opponent is a strategic maxim for every game.

Nothing of that is "a secret" to our opponents--not even back in August!
That actually scares me. I recall some of Holly's teams doing that very thing...taking 3 pt shots and missing when they had 10 seconds or so left on the shot clock. Maybe there will be cheap tickets after all this season.

I loved that, too. Some other highlights for me:
- Samara and Talaysia are the point guard leaders
- I loved hearing about the whiteboard and culture of accountability she's building
- Boyd is already one of the best players at understanding the press
- Tess, Jewel, and Ace are getting better at hitting outside shots at the pace she wants to play, creating good space for drivers like Ruby, Samara, and Talaysia
Love this!

CKC's report on Tess, Jewel and Ace is encouraging. Getting shots up at speed was their biggest hurdle vs elite/uber athletic teams. They also weren't good at creating their own shot, which was frustrating to watch bc the last coach would essentially play them in a 3 and D kind of role -- and none of them were great defenders.

It's great that we now have MULTIPLE downhill scorers who can draw defensive attention. We have shooters, downhill scoring guards AND mobile bigs.

I'm excited to see this team.

It'll click, just a question of when, and how many players she can trust to work the plan when the season starts.

In light of all this, the new system better be the one that brings us back to top tier national prominence and do so pretty quickly. Otherwise, what's the point of all this counter intuitiveness and unlearning basics? Is it worth sacrificing 10 games, a third of your seaason, to properly implement? This is a huge gamble, but maybe that's what the LVs needed to stop the slow downward slide. Maybe Kim will be the newby that shows old heads like Dawn and Vic the way forward.

I suspect what will really happen is a modified version. As players have gotten so much more athletic, less strictly positioned bball and a faster pace will occur across the board. But I don't think passing the ball to get a good shot and setting up a defense are going away. Nor the advantage of height. I understand the need to emphasize total devotation to the theory, but I hope some situational backups are in place as well. If we're leading by 4 w 2 mins left do we continue to jack 3s every 5 seconds?

It's defintely going to be interesting to watch and whatever happens represents a reset the program badly needed, even if eventually and inevitably it moderates back toward the middle.

so can Jillian,,,but what would either do against a Cardosa or a Griner type of player,,,we must have a Big who can body up against foes like these BC in the SEC there will be foes like this
SEC not having many of that type of player this season. LSU has one but she is somewhat slow just need to deny her the ball. SC has the freshman so experience will be a problem for her. I think we'll be tested inside vs UConn they have the size this season. Anyway the plan is to disrupt, stifle, get teams in a short time clock so they have to take shots they do not like.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back