Tennessee not getting any love from EA Sports College Football 25

They’re now allowed to be in the game due to NIL. They get paid $600 and get a free copy of the game from EA. There are a few who opted out, most notably Arch Manning
But at the end of the day it’s a video game and not real, correct? So how in the world should a video game ranking mean anything to anybody other than a video game player? In the real world, that non-ranking means zip.

But at the end of the day it’s a video game and not real, correct? So how in the world should a video game ranking mean anything to anybody other than a video game player? In the real world, that non-ranking means zip.
Sports simulation games are supposed to represent realism. If you don’t have any interest in video games then I don’t expect you to see it from our standpoint

Sports simulation games are supposed to represent realism. If you don’t have any interest in video games then I don’t expect you to see it from our standpoint
You are correct. I have no interest whatsoever. But I can assure you that any offensive ranking that leaves out UT is an absolute joke and is nowhere close to realism.

Half the stadiums ranked above Tennessee on that list aren't even worthy to sniff Neyland Stadium's proverbial jock strap.

Michigan at #16 is even more of a slap than Tennessee. Notre Dame and Texas are too low as well.

Tennessee isn't the only one getting the shaft.

Michigan and Tennessee are both top 5 stadiums IMO.

I imagine folks that are just casually saying "who cares" are probably not the sort playing the game, but for us video game geeks, the ratings absolutely mean something. Those fake numbers determine to a degree what you can do IN the game. So in other words, if they say digital Nico Iamaleava has average passing stats, then when you play with him, he'll have average passing abilities. You can find ways to game the engine, yes, but the core player abilities put boundaries on what you can do. And while it's true EA College Football is just a video game, it's going to be kind of sucky if digital Nico is rated 77-83ish and can't do half the things actual Nico can do on the actual field. Or if, for example, EA gives him a poor rushing ability score because he's a QB and EA doesn't know any better, which will make rushing with him harder than it ought to be.

Tennessee's offense ought to be up there. The OL is good, the RBs are good, the QB should be good ... the fact they don't have UT in the top 25 means they've shortchanged the Vols somewhere in there. And sure, real world, doesn't matter, but digital football world? BOO.

Back in the day, FSU was always overrated in this game because one of the creators graduated from FSU. (look it up). This game has never been accurate.

Heck, I play the most recent additions and they have Saban Alabama teams going 7-5 and crap like that.

Half these rankings are probably based off the fact that someone from that school is on the EA team.

Michigan at #16 is even more of a slap than Tennessee. Notre Dame and Texas are too low as well.

Tennessee isn't the only one getting the shaft.

Michigan and Tennessee are both top 5 stadiums IMO.
A&M ranked #1 is just insane since they are I think I read 24-20 in SEC play at home since joining the conference

Yeah Michigan at #16 is far worse than Tennessee. They just won the National Title.

It makes me think the lead programmer of the game is a Buckeye fan or something.

So Tennessee won't be higher than an 83 in either offense or defense. This is ****ing ridiculous. This is why Tennessee hates the media. It's constant nonsense like this trying to diminish our team's success.

Problem is that Tennessee did it to itself. If you play the older EA games, we tend to do better than how we did in the real season. That Dooley, Jones, Pruitt run really killed our perception. Part of the reason why is that we had years under all three were we were ranked and people bought the hype only to see us fall flat. People are afraid to buy into the hype. Constantly losing to Florida doesn't help (even when Florida is inferior like last year). Tennessee has one elite season in last 15 years; you are going to get disrespect. Want to break the narrative? Beat Florida soundly, take down Georgia, and win the SEC. I think Heupel is starting to do some of that.

Defense rating is low probably due to no returning starters on the secondary. Offense makes 0 sense but clearly they don't believe in Nico.

Then again, the overall ratings are garbage in EA. I have 2013 and the individual players actually matter more than overall ratings. There are teams with low overall ratings that win consistently (especially with simulation). It is still widely inaccurate as Alabama typically loses to Michigan in the opener on it (someone they beat by 4-5 touchdowns) and then goes on to lose 4-5 games (that Alabama team won the National Title). EA games have always been broken.

Heck, that 2013 game can't even simulate neutral sites so Alabama goes to Michigan and plays in Ann Arbor when the game was in Texas in real life.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Problem is that Tennessee did it to itself. If you play the older EA games, we tend to do better than how we did in the real season. That Dooley, Jones, Pruitt run really killed our perception. Part of the reason why is that we had years under all three were we were ranked and people bought the hype only to see us fall flat. People are afraid to buy into the hype. Constantly losing to Florida doesn't help (even when Florida is inferior like last year). Tennessee has one elite season in last 15 years; you are going to get disrespect. Want to break the narrative? Beat Florida soundly, take down Georgia, and win the SEC. I think Heupel is starting to do some of that.

Defense rating is low probably due to no returning starters on the secondary. Offense makes 0 sense but clearly they don't believe in Nico.

Then again, the overall ratings are garbage in EA. I have 2013 and the individual players actually matter more than overall ratings. There are teams with low overall ratings that win consistently (especially with simulation). It is still widely inaccurate as Alabama typically loses to Michigan in the opener on it (someone they beat by 4-5 touchdowns) and then goes on to lose 4-5 games (that Alabama team won the National Title). EA games have always been broken.

Heck, that 2013 game can't even simulate neutral sites so Alabama goes to Michigan and plays in Ann Arbor when the game was in Texas in real life.
Tennessee had an 84 offense and 88 defense in ncaa 14. So these guys are basically saying that Tennessee is worse now than in Butch Jones's first season

Reactions: EaglesVols91
Tennessee had an 84 offense and 88 defense in ncaa 14. So these guys are basically saying that Tennessee is worse now than in Butch Jones's first season

I get your point but people still considered Tennessee a bigger program back then. Multiple seasons of falling flat turned the media against us. At the time, it only looked like a 3-year aberration with Dooley and a few bad seasons of Fulmer.

Again, though, the overall rankings in the game mean diddly. I have played it enough to know. I see overall 83s do a lot better than overall 88s and beat them consistently. Key is the player rankings not the team rankings.

I get your point but people still considered Tennessee a bigger program back then. Multiple seasons of falling flat turned the media against us. At the time, it only looked like a 3-year aberration with Dooley and a few bad seasons of Fulmer.

Again, though, the overall rankings in the game mean diddly. I have played it enough to know. I see overall 83s do a lot better than overall 88s and beat them consistently. Key is the player rankings not the team rankings.
I completely understand what you're saying about player rankings, but like, our 8th best WR is a 5 star freshman, we added multiple freshman all Americans through the portal, and this is the deepest team Tennessee has had since the early 2000s. Also the defenses of Colorado, USC, and LSU were basically none existent last year

I completely understand what you're saying about player rankings, but like, our 8th best WR is a 5 star freshman, we added multiple freshman all Americans through the portal, and this is the deepest team Tennessee has had since the early 2000s. Also the defenses of Colorado, USC, and LSU were basically none existent last year

I agree with you on those general points, I am just explaining why it is what it is. History plays a big part (even though it shouldn't) and people have seen Tennessee fail to live up to hype over and over again. They have seen Tennessee choke away games against Florida, Georgia, etc.

VN Store

Back