Tennessee not getting any love from EA Sports College Football 25

Good grief, we've already been over this. This isn't just a disagreement of opinions. "What EA Sports thinks" impacts the actual gameplay. I can't speak for the "dissing Tennessee" angle, but the ratings will have a direct impact on the game experience. So here we are, excited to play the first college football game in a decade, and EA's basically saying "hey, thanks for your 59.99 but your big high octane offense actually sort of sucks this year."

Imagine if they'd made this game in 2024 and Brock Bowers was given an 82 rating as a TE, and the game didn't reflect the impact Bowers had at the position. Surely you can concede, at a bare minimum, how grating that would be? I do believe, if I were a Dawg, that I would be just the slightest bit pissed.
To be fair though, Bowers was an extremely known quantity last year. It's apples and oranges. Nico has never taken an SEC snap no matter how good he was projected to be coming out of high school.

I certainly think our offense should have been ranked somewhere in the 12-25 range and probably our team as well, but I think the Bowers analogy is off, Bowers was much, much more of a sure thing as a tight end than our offense going into 2024. We could indeed have a very potent offense, but that is based on hopes, which despite being reasonable hopes, are really unproven, particularly at QB which is the engine that drives the offensive train. Bowers was without a doubt an All-American type tight end going into last year. He had won the Mackey Award and was a first team All American in 2022.

Reactions: Voltopia
I about guarantee he won’t be highly rated they rated everything about Tennessee way off and have teams like Colorado unrealistic rankings they have no good players besides the qb

Last edited:
To be fair though, Bowers was an extremely known quantity last year. It's apples and oranges. Nico has never taken an SEC snap no matter how good he was projected to be coming out of high school.

I certainly think our offense should have been ranked somewhere in the 12-25 range and probably our team as well, but I think the Bowers analogy is off, Bowers was much, much more of a sure thing as a tight end than our offense going into 2024. We could indeed have a very potent offense, but that is based on hopes, which despite being reasonable hopes, are really unproven, particularly at QB which is the engine that drives the offensive train. Bowers was without a doubt an All-American type tight end going into last year. He had won the Mackey Award and was a first team All American in 2022.

I'm willing to meet halfway in the sense that I'll agree Bowers's talent is/was much more a "sure thing" as opposed to Tennessee's 2024 offense, but the Bowers analogy was meant to a hyperbolic contrast of imaginary EA ratings not matching up with the actual talent, and why that would generate a reaction from fans who have reason to expect otherwise. I could have also used a Tennessee player, let's say Pearce, only they rated him an 84 or something like that. But I was speaking to a Dawg, so, you know, I spoke Dawg with the guy. Minus the woofing anyway.

But even though I'll meet halfway, I still think the comparison has some merit to it. Josh Heupel has NEVER had an offense ranked out of the top 20 statistically in his career (and only twice out of the top 10), I'm not shying away from the idea that some of the reaction is justified. And it's not just orange-tinted glasses talking here. Hell, Andy Staples recorded a specific video clip saying that Tennessee being out of the top 25 was ridiculous and that Vol Nation should load up and start firing for being omitted. He's not the only one. Lots of people laughing at that score right now.

Now, again, I get that the ratings are generated in large part by the player ratings, so in a sense EA isn't looking at Tennessee and saying "your offense is an 81 or 82 or whatever." They're saying "when we plug in our player evaluation scores, our simulation rates your offense as an 81." I don't care how they got there, I'm just ripping it. My stance is of course people are griping, they were excited to take the keys to the Lambo that is Heupel's offense, only for EA to say "actually, you're driving a Honda Civic this season." Boo. Boo that. I look forward to -- hopefully -- seeing UT expose it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyDawg

I understand your point about the Bowers analogy in the sense that it was certainly obvious to every even somewhat knowledgeable CFB fan that Bowers was likely the best TE in the nation entering last season. And this season it’s true that based on experience, Nico and by extension the TN offense can be considered unproven.

But I think the analogy does have some merit in the sense that not ranking the TN offense at least in the top 25 is also ridiculous. Unproven yes, but also an offense that will have a #1 recruit at QB and utilizing a scheme that provided the #1 scoring offense in the country a few years ago.

Even as a Dawg fan I must admit that not giving the TN offense the benefit of the doubt with at least a top 25 offensive ranking is ridiculous. I mean hell, they put Colorado in the top ten. I understand the ridiculous reasons that Colorado is placed such, but it doesn’t change how asinine it is to have your Vols out of the top 25.

Mind boggling to me that we didn’t make the top 25 offensive list

I personally think it's a troll, they can't be that low. Seems like I remember Iowa being a 90 overall defense on this game when they first revealed it. And we put 35 on them and could have scored more... these rankings can't be real

I understand your point about the Bowers analogy in the sense that it was certainly obvious to every even somewhat knowledgeable CFB fan that Bowers was likely the best TE in the nation entering last season. And this season it’s true that based on experience, Nico and by extension the TN offense can be considered unproven.

But I think the analogy does have some merit in the sense that not ranking the TN offense at least in the top 25 is also ridiculous. Unproven yes, but also an offense that will have a #1 recruit at QB and utilizing a scheme that provided the #1 scoring offense in the country a few years ago.

Even as a Dawg fan I must admit that not giving the TN offense the benefit of the doubt with at least a top 25 offensive ranking is ridiculous. I mean hell, they put Colorado in the top ten. I understand the ridiculous reasons that Colorado is placed such, but it doesn’t change how asinine it is to have your Vols out of the top 25.
Like I said, we should have been ranked 12-25 but the Bowers analogy was not on point, anyway if a player is any good at all, it doesn't matter, because when I used to get tired of playing with Tennessee, I'd go win national championships at Navy. You can win and build any team into a powerhouse if you are a remotely decent player.

I haven't bought the game and probably won't now... EA clearly sucking Deon's cock with it.

If we want some attention about it, get someone like Peyton Manning or Alvin Kamara to say something about it. Get it in the news.

Reactions: VolForLife83
Their Marketing team is playing our fanbase like a fiddle lol. Which college football team has the most active fanbase on twitter? Volnation. How can we get this fanbase to get engaged in our product? Dont include that fanbase's Team in any of the rankings even though, We havent dropped out of the top 25 since entering it in 2022 Pitt Game, Our offenses have been some of the best in the country the past 2 years, and we have one of the best Defensive players in the country. Easy money.

Don't necessarily agree with that but I think someone in the UT admin should question EA publicly on it. I at least want to see their response/explanation.
So you want Danny White to make a statement publicly on how EA has messed up our ranking in the yet to be released video game? That would go over well.

VN Store

Back