Tennessee opens as a 5.5 point favorite over NC State

NC State was very methodic with scoring 38 points and amassing 521 yards total offense over the 4 quarters. I really don't get the ... it is going to be a cake walk feeling.

It could very well turn out to be. It is just that 521 yards and 38 points regardless of who a team plays are not something to take lightly. If NC State is able to move the ball on our defense, that will slow down the scoring. Chattanooga could not move the ball which lead to lots of opportunities for us to score. I can not see us having more than half those opportunities against NC State.
I watched most of the NC State v. W. Carolina game and my take away was W. Carolina's 1's matched up pretty well with NCST. In fact going into the 4th Qtr. W, Carolina lead 21-17. FCS schools can only have 63 scholarship players, so any FBS school should have a decided advantage especially in the 4th quarter on a hot day. That proved true, as NCST pulled away late and W. Carolina's players looked fatigued late in the game. The Raleigh News and Observer headline of " NC State avoids catastrophe against Western Carolina, but the luster is off the Wolfpack" pretty much sums up the game. That doesn't mean NCST won't play better against us, but they didn't look like a team that we shouldn't beat by 3 TD's yesterday.

I watched most of the NC State v. W. Carolina game and my take away was W. Carolina's 1's matched up pretty well with NCST. In fact going into the 4th Qtr. W, Carolina lead 21-17. FCS schools can only have 63 scholarship players, so any FBS school should have a decided advantage especially in the 4th quarter on a hot day. That proved true, as NCST pulled away late and W. Carolina's players looked fatigued late in the game. The Raleigh News and Observer headline of " NC State avoids catastrophe against Western Carolina, but the luster is off the Wolfpack" pretty much sums up the game. That doesn't mean NCST won't play better against us, but they didn't look like a team that we shouldn't beat by 3 TD's yesterday.
Agreed. I just don't know how they fix their offensive line issues in a week. They look very vulnerable there and in the secondary as well.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
The reality is that NC State is more than likely going to move the ball offensively better than Chattanooga, which should limit the number of times we have the ball, bearing fumbles and such. That implies less opportunity for scoring. I also believe NC State defense > Chattanooga defense.

Some of you seem to think Chattanooga is better than NC State and thus the score should be similar.

Saturday, we beat a team that we greatly outmatched on both sides of the ball. And now some are translating that into we can score that many points against any opponent.

I think we can and should win this game but need to come back to reality - Chattanooga was just not a good team.

This sounds right. But I know many are overreacting on here due to the Chattanooga game.
Well, the "overreaction" is this. The same pundits/experts set the line against UTC at 38.7 points. We won by 66. Analytics were way off for our first game. Did they adjust their data set to real world statistics based on the collected information from both teams results? I seriously doubt it.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
The reality is that NC State is more than likely going to move the ball offensively better than Chattanooga, which should limit the number of times we have the ball, bearing fumbles and such. That implies less opportunity for scoring. I also believe NC State defense > Chattanooga defense.

Some of you seem to think Chattanooga is better than NC State and thus the score should be similar.

Saturday, we beat a team that we greatly outmatched on both sides of the ball. And now some are translating that into we can score that many points against any opponent.

I think we can and should win this game but need to come back to reality - Chattanooga was just not a good team.
I don't see anyone here expecting us to beat NC State by 66, I certainly don't, but something like 35-14, or 38-17 Vols seems pretty likely based on how the teams played yesterday.

This is not breaking news. Everybody knows we have cupcakes on the schedule every year, but we should still win this game with relative ease.

NC State was very methodic with scoring 38 points and amassing 521 yards total offense over the 4 quarters. I really don't get the ... it is going to be a cake walk feeling.

It could very well turn out to be. It is just that 521 yards and 38 points regardless of who a team plays are not something to take lightly. If NC State is able to move the ball on our defense, that will slow down the scoring. Chattanooga could not move the ball which lead to lots of opportunities for us to score. I can not see us having more than half those opportunities against NC State.
With all due respect to WCU's defense, they ARE NOT as good as the Vol defense. WCU left 10 points on the field with a missed FG and a fumble at the NCST 9, NCST's D isn't special enough to stop our game. We will score and score often.

One man's very methodic view is another man's placid effort.

Last edited:

I don’t think we will beat NC State by 50+ and I agree that all our flaws weren’t exposed due to the quality of the opponent. However, the accuracy of our QB and our starters on offense operating in mid season form does translate. We also know we have a huge advantage over NC State on both lines. We know we have an NFL caliber RB. If we play relatively clean ball without a bunch of self inflicted errors, it’s very probable we score 35+. JMO

This is not breaking news. Everybody knows we have cupcakes on the schedule every year, but we should still win this game with relative ease.
Totally agree - but every year when we beat them like we should - it gets translated into a we are going to beat everyone like this mentality. I think we win but would not be surprised with a close game in the first half next week.

Totally agree - but every year when we beat them like we should - it gets translated into a we are going to beat everyone like this mentality. I think we win but would not be surprised with a close game in the first half next week.
No it doesn’t get translated like that. Literally everyone on this board knows Georgia is more of a threat than Chattanooga.

Reactions: walkenvol
They project Tennessee only scoring 29 points. I don't believe they can hold us to that few points with our offense.

That's just an opening line.

NC State might get to 24 points. They're problem is we get to 30 on a bad day. We'll cover with an average game, I expect us to get to at least 40.

Reactions: mpfvol
NC State is weak as hell on the OL. We will exploit that. Pressure McCall and he will have issues. Again we are not the SB champs yet but they do not match up with our WR or OL well enough. We have the edge in every category. We are more talented, faster, bigger and stronger. Then let's talk about QB's. McCall was great at Coastal. NICO is young and decimated a good Iowa D in his first start and had a top 10 FCS team calling timeouts in first 2 minutes of a game in which he appeared to be a future NFL #1 pick. Kid has so much upside you can not legitimately put a ceiling on him. The sky is the limit for our VOLS with Nico. I expect NC State to do a few things early but talent takes over and the Vols cruise. 40-17

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch

Yeah they were very methodical about playing and were on the wrong end of the score board going into the fourth against Western Carolina…at home…after being 22 point favorites

I don’t think NCState is goin to roll over and play dead against us like Chattanooga but that game was simply an embarrassment for them. Don’t make it sound like they had a decent showing, they did not.

Yeah they were very methodical about playing and were on the wrong end of the score board going into the fourth against Western Carolina…at home…after being 22 point favorites

I don’t think NCState is goin to roll over and play dead against us like Chattanooga but that game was simply an embarrassment for them. Don’t make it sound like they had a decent showing, they did not.
No kidding! Did he even watch the game? NC St was literally dead for 3 quarters until WCU ran out of gas in the 4th.

Nico is going to light them up next week.

My guess is the WCU showed a lot of NCSTs weaknesses and tendencies. Heupel is, at this minute, enjoying a cup of coffee, watching that film and drawing up plays that exploit those weaknesses and tendencies even more.

Last edited:
Going back to his time at coastal, Mccall was a better runner than passer. He didn’t run much against wcu. Either they didn’t allow him due to risk of injury, or he is trying to change his style to impress nfl scouts.

Either way, expect him to run more against us. Our linebackers will have to shadow which will open passing lanes. Hopefully our d line can stay in their lanes and not let him escape.

Nc st defense looked really bad.

VN Store

Back