Tennessee opens as a 5.5 point favorite over NC State

Both NCSU and UT played vanilla so there are limits to how much can be predicted by comparison. That said, UTC has a better team than WCU this year. They're better coached.

It is likely that NCSU played flat but WCU competed. The Catamounts didn't look overwhelmed or particularly out-talented. For the most part, they looked like they belonged on the field with State.

UT did not play flat. UTC looked overwhelmed from the start. They actually have some talent but UT's O set the Vols up for success and the team made it happen. They executed.

Both attitudes go back to coaching and preparation.

NCSU will show up with something to prove. They will try to follow UTC's pattern and get the ball out quick. They will believe they can run the ball since UTC had some glimpses of success. IF they can stand up to getting punched in the nose right out of the gate then they might keep it closer than we expect. If the Vols get rolling... it will look like Hooker vs Mizzou a few years back.
I think the idea of NCST playing vanilla flew out the window when they were down in the 4th quarter.

Personally think the line should be in the 8.5-10 area. I do think Tennessee wins by 3 possessions. 41-24 feels right to me.
Edit: I think that once Tennessee is up by 14 they will do some more rotations in the back end to keep developing the competitive depth in the secondary and NC State could get a score of it. Could be wayyy wrong though.

Let's not get cocky, fellas.

Having said that, I can't imagine we don't win this game comfortably.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
I think the idea of NCST playing vanilla flew out the window when they were down in the 4th quarter.
It is difficult to change a gameplan in game. You can make adjustments but if you didn't put it in during the week and you've had any depth chart turnover... you can't put it in during the game.

We've seen that play out before as UT fans. Several coaches before Heupel didn't know how to plan for lesser opponents.

Reactions: volfan102455
line will probably top out at -11.5.
I think the defense is better than we are giving credit.
The DL was solid but not as aggressive because they did not need to be.
The starting LBs and LEO only played a total of 46 plays. Pearce - 10 plays, Pili - 15 plays, and Carter - 21 plays.
UTC ran 60 plays which = 180 total possible plays for 3 players. They were on the field for 46 total plays which was 25.5%. We did not see the defense and this was vanilla.

NC State was very methodic with scoring 38 points and amassing 521 yards total offense over the 4 quarters. I really don't get the ... it is going to be a cake walk feeling.

It could very well turn out to be. It is just that 521 yards and 38 points regardless of who a team plays are not something to take lightly. If NC State is able to move the ball on our defense, that will slow down the scoring. Chattanooga could not move the ball which lead to lots of opportunities for us to score. I can not see us having more than half those opportunities against NC State.
NCState was in a close game going into the last quarter! They looked like they would lose the game! And the Vols blow them out! They did not look anything like a top 25 team to me! Tennessee will hang fifty on them and there’s no way for them to make it close!

NC State was very methodic with scoring 38 points and amassing 521 yards total offense over the 4 quarters. I really don't get the ... it is going to be a cake walk feeling.

It could very well turn out to be. It is just that 521 yards and 38 points regardless of who a team plays are not something to take lightly. If NC State is able to move the ball on our defense, that will slow down the scoring. Chattanooga could not move the ball which lead to lots of opportunities for us to score. I can not see us having more than half those opportunities against NC State.
Did you watch the game? They really struggled and we’re down in the fourth

NCST can score...they are a typical Dave Doeren coached team. Very methodical, stick to the plan, team. They'll get 2 or 3 scores on us from the secondary miscues and mismatch.

Issue is going to.be their defense. They know we are going to come out fast and on fire...will they be able to match that pace. I doubt it after seeing them play WCU.

One thing I'm interested in seeing is do we let up after getting a big lead early and start making the mental mistakes again.

FWIW - I see the line on this game being around 11 or 12 by the time it kicks off.

Did you watch the game? They really struggled and we’re down in the fourth

I did. But none of us knows if that was just NC State coaches underestimating Western Carolina and almost blowing it as a result or if we saw everything they have to offer.

At least it wasn't us doing that this year.

line will probably top out at -11.5.
I think the defense is better than we are giving credit.
The DL was solid but not as aggressive because they did not need to be.
The starting LBs and LEO only played a total of 46 plays. Pearce - 10 plays, Pili - 15 plays, and Carter - 21 plays.
UTC ran 60 plays which = 180 total possible plays for 3 players. They were on the field for 46 total plays which was 25.5%. We did not see the defense and this was vanilla.
And Rickey Gibson didn’t play.

That electric vibrating game was fun at the time.
My little brother used to set his defense up like a traditional NFL D. My offense was the Xmas tree formation: 1 blocker at the point, then 2,3, etc. then my QB, then 2 more blockers to push him forward!

He was 8 and befuddled by how his team was destroyed by mine!

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I never bet on a game but that just seemed like free money even at -7.5 and I had to put some significant money on it.

If I had and risk tolerance I would have bet the +14 pts for +150. NOTE - that the win between 1-13 pts is a payout of +180 so the expectation is that TN is going to win by at least 2 TDs instead of under.

Seems like there’s still a lot of tickets available in Charlotte.
i would thought a sellout with both schools not far away. NCSU 165 miles. UT 230 miles.
I wouldn't trust anything you see on the Ticketmaster site.

Last year before the UVA game, there were available tickets all over the stadium then a few days before the game it was suddenly a sellout.

And with almost all of the games in Knoxville sold out, this may be the only opportunity some people have to see a game in person. And after yesterday's game, the drive to Charlotte is easily worth it.

They project Tennessee only scoring 29 points. I don't believe they can hold us to that few points with our offense.

They must of stopped calculating the score after the first quarter.

How long do pulled hamstrings usually take to heal?
It depends on the severity of the pull and your tolerance for pain. I’ve pulled mine in rugby matches before and just taped the h*ll out it and continued playing. Of course I didn’t have the potential for million dollar contracts coming my way either. I think typically it takes 3-4 weeks for them to heal, but I’m not sure of that because I never gave them that much time.

Reactions: Vfl2407
I never bet on a game but that just seemed like free money even at -7.5 and I had to put some significant money on it.

If I had and risk tolerance I would have bet the +14 pts for +150. NOTE - that the win between 1-13 pts is a payout of +180 so the expectation is that TN is going to win by at least 2 TDs instead of under.
I gamble on college football, but not on Tennessee games. It makes for bad juju. I might have to make an exception here. It's tempting as hell.

VN Store

Back