Tennessee Softball 2024

First of all,I am not there everyday watching practice but I liked the IF of Boo-Laura- Bella- Taylor P with G in the OF. To me those seemed like natural positions and they looked pretty good in the fall. I actually thought Boo played better 3B than 2B. Laura seems like a natural at 2B/SS and Taylor P at 3B. Someone mentioned earlier why move an All-American?? G is going to play, bank on it: 1B, OF, C she will be in the lineup. Karen likes her and she is a very good 1B/OF and can spell Sophia. Needs to hit though. I gather the days she catches, Sophia is DP and Boo back to 1B?? I think this will just be the first of several lineups we could see before Karen settles on one for SEC play. Plus if Dez, Jami, Katie, or Leaches get hot with the bat they will play. It’s good to have depth and position competition. Just gotta hope it works out whichever way it goes. To be honest, much more nervous about the circle with guarded optimism.

Saw this in an article about the pitching this AM in an interview with Karen. Made me feel good about our pitching:
--------------------------------------------------------
As the ace of the unit, Gottshall has a lot of weight to shoulder. She is preparing for this by adding some wrinkles to her game.
"I don't want to give away too much," said Gottshall. "But we do have some new pitches mixed in. So, exciting stuff."

Karlyn is a really smart young lady and I think she's really self aware," said Weekly. "And I think that's the key because the game at this level is not just physical, it's the mental game, as well. I think everything in her life, she's been so dominant at, no matter what sport she played. Last year was the first time it was like, 'Okay, wait a second. Now, I can't just rely on my physical gifts. There's other things I have to tap into.' But the fun thing about Karyln is she's really open to that. She's willing to try things. Not run away from any struggles, she wants to attack them head on. So, I'm really pleased with her progress."

I didn't link the article because most of it was just coach speak about we know the hard work it takes to reach the CWS and we are focused on getting back there, etc, etc,.

Last edited:
Gibson played a lot of second base two seasons ago and somewhat struggled at it. She doesn't have the lateral speed for second base. Sure hope we don't go that route again. As you stated, it makes no sense and I hope Karen has second thoughts about that. I sure hope Ralph is not the one behind that.
I remember that. Her playing 2nd base. Agree on the lateral speed, not smooth/natural at all.

They appear to be moving everyone in an effort to get G on the field. Will her hitting be good enough? I hope so but Boo played above average 1b and we know she can hit. I don't think we will see ZAIDA in the field for awhile listening to interviews. Hopefully they sort everyone out by hitting unless the D is just terrible. I remember Boo playing 2b. She was not great but was not going to get you beat there either.

Last edited:
2 future Lady Vols on there at second glance!
Kansas
Peyton Hardenberger, Wamego
Pitcher | Class of 2025
Headed to Tennessee, she led the Red Raiders to a 4A state title averaging over 16 strikeouts per game this past spring.
over 16 strikeouts per game this past spring.

over 16 strikeouts per game this past spring. 🥎👍

From the interview sounded to me like Orsini and White would get some starts hope to get 6 to 9 outs out of them then go to one of the two bigs. I will be interested to see how this works and if it can be successful. Sure we'll see a lot of it in mid week games. How that will work on weekends is yet to be seen even though we know three game weekends on two pitchers can be laboring. We don't want to pull a Alabama like they did with Fouts. I think they pitched her arm off wasn't that effective like she was in the very beginning of her career. Even if the motion is not that hard on the arm still a lot of physical work on a player going a lot of innings.

VN Store

Back