Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Rasheed Wallace to become Memphis assistant coach under Penny Hardaway: Sources

Rasheed Wallace, a 16-year NBA veteran, has agreed to a deal to become an assistant coach at Memphis under Penny Hardaway, sources told The Athletic on Wednesday....

Here comes the funny part...

Hardaway has served as Memphis’ head coach since 2018, earning a strong reputation in player development and utilizing his pedigree as an ex-player and relationships built across the basketball community. He signed a five-year extension with Memphis through the 2025-26 season.

Opinions now added:

To what does Memphis owe its rise?
Brennan: So here's the thing: There hasn't really been a rise, not just yet. Hardaway has generated a lot of headlines and recruited extremely well, but the Tigers have yet to make the NCAA Tournament under him.

Obviously, adding Jalen Duren (and possibly Emoni Bates) could change that this year, but the most promising sign last season was Memphis suddenly turning into a ferocious defensive team — the best per-possession D in the country.

At first, it seemed like Hardaway's program was going to be all about flash. If the Tigers have found their identity as a defensive grinder, though, and they can sprinkle in elite talent on top of that, that aforementioned rise will come sooner rather than later.

And adding Brown and Wallace to the staff would make me expect Memphis to land more. Granted, that's not a given.
I doubt they’ll be landing more than 2 five stars a year like they have been…especially if they continue to underachieve with them. If Memphis lands Bates and doesn’t have a Top 10 worthy season their fans are going to be restless, and rightfully so.

Reactions: Maxwell865
The first big class under Penny was all about his prior relationships with them. Wiseman played for him.

They are now getting recruits outside that parameter, and it sounds like NIL deals are helping.
I don’t think there was a connection with Achiuwa like there was Wiseman?

I don’t think there was a connection with Achiuwa like there was Wiseman?

Wiseman helped get Achiuwa there with the pitch. Achiuwa wanted to be more of a stretch 4 or SF, so Wiseman solidified the 5 position for that team (yes, ironically Wiseman gets suspended and leaves team). Lester Quinones was a also high school teammate of Achiuwa's. With the first three classes including them and Lomax, Jeffries, Harris, Baugh, Dandridge, and Cisse, it was all about Penny's relationships with some help from Mike Miller.

These current recruits are different.

Reactions: Maxwell865
Wiseman helped get Achiuwa there with the pitch. Achiuwa wanted to be more of a stretch 4 or SF, so Wiseman solidified the 5 position for that team (yes, ironically Wiseman gets suspended and leaves team). Lester Quinones was a also high school teammate of Achiuwa's. With the first three classes including them and Lomax, Jeffries, Harris, Baugh, Dandridge, and Cisse, it was all about Penny's relationships with some help from Mike Miller.

These current recruits are different.

My point was he’s been landing highly ranked guys since being hired, and I don’t think anyone expects/ed that to stop…he will continue to hire guys with connections to players or partake in some shady deals if need be, nobody ever questioned if he’d be able to recruit. The question is can he do anything with those recruits, to this point he hasn’t been able to, and if this years team underachieves too I doubt it’s very long before fans start turning on him.

As a Tennessee fan it’s funny to look at where they were not too long ago when they had Cal and these fanbases would go back and forth…now they’ve fallen off to near irrelevancy and Tennessee has become a Top 15-20 program nationally lol.

My point was he’s been landing highly ranked guys since being hired, and I don’t think anyone expects/ed that to stop…he will continue to hire guys with connections to players or partake in some shady deals if need be, nobody ever questioned if he’d be able to recruit. The question is can he do anything with those recruits, to this point he hasn’t been able to, and if this years team underachieves too I doubt it’s very long before fans start turning on him.

As a Tennessee fan it’s funny to look at where they were not too long ago when they had Cal and these fanbases would go back and forth…now they’ve fallen off to near irrelevancy and Tennessee has become a Top 15-20 program nationally lol.

I agree with your point about their development and having issues if he underachieves. But, I was originally just responding to how he is getting talent and recruits "taking notice." He isn't getting these current players the same way he got the first ones. He has moved on from having pre-existing relationships with kids when he first got the job.

Is Rasheed Wallace a good coach?

Who cares about coaching ability, just gotta croot, haha! Here are comments on that:

What can Wallace add to the staff?
It's hard to say, frankly, because Wallace's coaching career to date is relatively brief: one year as an NBA assistant in 2013-14, and a couple of years as the coach at Jordan High School in Durham, N.C.

But also, you know, he is Rasheed Wallace, one of the more charismatic players of the NBA's past two decades and also one of its most cerebral. I expect he'd bring a certain gravitas to any staff, a certain realness, but also savvier than his relatively short C.V. would initially indicate. We'll see.

So, his record thus far indicates that he is charismatic, cerebral, and savvy

Is Rasheed Wallace a good coach?

I’m not sure, but everybody that played with him usually referred to him as the most cerebral player they played with and how good he was at recognizing offensive plays.

Now, that is completely different than coaching. But he’s not some dumb hothead the media portrayed him to be.

Who cares about coaching ability, just gotta croot, haha! Here are comments on that:

What can Wallace add to the staff?
It's hard to say, frankly, because Wallace's coaching career to date is relatively brief: one year as an NBA assistant in 2013-14, and a couple of years as the coach at Jordan High School in Durham, N.C.

But also, you know, he is Rasheed Wallace, one of the more charismatic players of the NBA's past two decades and also one of its most cerebral. I expect he'd bring a certain gravitas to any staff, a certain realness, but also savvier than his relatively short C.V. would initially indicate. We'll see.

So, his record thus far indicates that he is charismatic, cerebral, and savvy

Coaching is not about what you know but how well you can communicate it, to a variety of brains and personalities.

Unless Wallace's two years at a high school were disasters, he should know by now what he's capable of. I feel sure he's learned enough about himself as a coach to avoid embarrassing himself on the Memphis stage.

Reactions: Volprofch05
I’m not sure, but everybody that played with him usually referred to him as the most cerebral player they played with and how good he was at recognizing offensive plays.

Now, that is completely different than coaching. But he’s not some dumb hothead the media portrayed him to be.
Gotta love Bill Walton, though it was a pretty impressive article even when I liked the Pistons: Walton: Get rid of Rasheed now

VN Store

Back