Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

I know there was some speculation that Santi might go play overseas after this year. Is there any legitimacy to that? If so, that could indicate why continually trying to get more guards in the next class.
It was considered last year especially during COVID when he was back home, however as of now that’s pretty much off the table and he plans to be here.

Super early on when he had first moved to Nashville, we never really pursued.

True, but apparently we've reached out to him now that he's decommitted (if ya believe that tweet).

He had signed a LOI as well so this seems really weird. I'd probably assume he's heading to the pros in the D-League or whatever for a year.

Sounds like you’re describing Deboundje

I hope he and Mashack are that type of player. I don't recall them displaying that this year, but maybe they are being held back until they become more consistent contributors - next year, hopefully.

I hope he and Mashack are that type of player. I don't recall them displaying that this year, but maybe they are being held back until they become more consistent contributors - next year, hopefully.
I believe they’ve limited Deboundje to allow a red shirt. Most everything I’ve read has been he’s very athletic along with having a good jump shot. Mashack arrived with his defense and rebounding ahead of his shot as we’ve witnessed from his limited minutes

Does Tennessee possibly pursue any current Georgia players that might hit the transfer portal after the firing of Crean?

Does Tennessee possibly pursue any current Georgia players that might hit the transfer portal after the firing of Crean?

Not sure...they only have 1 top 100 RPI player on roster (Jabri Abdur-Rahim). And he burned his free transfer to come to Georgia from Virginia, they have no 2022 recruits signed.

Josh Taylor wouldn't be a bad pick up, he'll have 2 or 3 years left and is a PF. Has only played 17 games in his 2 years there, but was a top 200 kid outta HS. 6'9" and over 200lbs. Part of why Crean got fired was his inability to keep the top recruits he pulled.

A few he's landed that aren't still at Georgia.

K.D. Johnson (now at Auburn)
Sahvir Wheeler (now at Kentucky
Toumani Camara (now at Dayton)
Tye Fagan (now at Ole Miss)
Christian Brown (now at TSU)
Jaykwon Walton (now at Juco)
Amanze Ngumezi (now at Jacksonville State)
Ignas Sargiunas (now at Colorado State)

This is the prospect next years team needs. Would be huge.

Stephane Ingo - Free Agent Basketball
We’re likely to only have one opening. We’ll have Aidoo who has all the tools to be a top shot blocker along with 3 other guys 6’-10” or taller. Don’t think we need a post unless he’s outstanding. Our need is for a 6’-5” slasher / scorer who can go get us a bucket or a foul when we encounter our regular scoring droughts - someone like Admiral. Maybe Deboundje can be that type of player but it would be nice to grab a proven upperclassman from the portal for next season. JMO

I don’t see it? Undersized post who can’t score? Sure he blocks shots but would that translate, at the level he’s playing guys are smaller, Anosike’s numbers didn’t translate at all.
True, he looks to have a pretty good wingspan (7-3) so I’d bet it translates. Maybe not 2.5 BPG, but 1.5 to maybe even 2.

He can guard 1-5 too, which is always a plus. You could be right , though.

True, he looks to have a pretty good wingspan (7-3) so I’d bet it translates. Maybe not 2.5 BPG, but 1.5 to maybe even 2.

He can guard 1-5 too, which is always a plus. You could be right , though.
But we already have Aidoo and ON who both will block shots at a similar rate, just don’t see it.

Considering we likely will just have 1 spot, MAYBE 2, I would expect the staff to be ultra selective and find what they feel is a difference maker.

Reactions: orangejuice
We’re likely to only have one opening. We’ll have Aidoo who has all the tools to be a top shot blocker along with 3 other guys 6’-10” or taller. Don’t think we need a post unless he’s outstanding. Our need is for a 6’-5” slasher / scorer who can go get us a bucket or a foul when we encounter our regular scoring droughts - someone like Admiral. Maybe Deboundje can be that type of player but it would be nice to grab a proven upperclassman from the portal for next season. JMO
This is what’s interesting to me, there’s not a GLARING hole next year if we are to assume just Fulky/KC/Bailey leave. You could go PG/CG to help ZZ out and keep Santi from having to play there, could go wing scorer but you hope that Powell takes the next step and that one of Q/Mashack are ready, you could go post but with Plav/ON/BHH/Aidoo/Tamba that’s a lot of bodies and obviously you’re hoping for a lot out of BHH/Aidoo/Nkahmoua next year.

This is what’s interesting to me, there’s not a GLARING hole next year if we are to assume just Fulky/KC/Bailey leave. You could go PG/CG to help ZZ out and keep Santi from having to play there, could go wing scorer but you hope that Powell takes the next step and that one of Q/Mashack are ready, you could go post but with Plav/ON/BHH/Aidoo/Tamba that’s a lot of bodies and obviously you’re hoping for a lot out of BHH/Aidoo/Nkahmoua next year.
Hope BJ edwards gives some valuable minutes for ZZ, but yeah might hit the transfer portal for a combo guard or PF if there is a scholly available that’s about it

Isiaih Mosley would be ideal if he hit the portal.

Reactions: walkenvol

Unless we could get someone like Holmgren, Banchero, Jabari Smith, or Kessler, I just do not see a need for another big, especially one without an outside game.

I could see another point guard, but unless we already have that person on campus, I think we need the most is someone who can create their own shot. We don't need to keep having those long scoring droughts.

Unless we could get someone like Holmgren, Banchero, Jabari Smith, or Kessler, I just do not see a need for another big, especially one without an outside game.

I could see another point guard, but unless we already have that person on campus, I think we need the most is someone who can create their own shot. We don't need to keep having those long scoring droughts.

I think that actually strengthens the argument for a post, a guard who can get his own maybe shoots 45-50%, a good post man is 55-60% from 2…in theory we should be an even better 3pt shooting team next year, having a post who can score a fg at 60% would be pretty big.

VN Store

Back