Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

If any of the LSU players want out, do we really want to go there? Three of them are 5 stars, and chances are that any of them are one of the 11 players that Wade is supposed to have paid. If any of their names come out in the investigation, would it be wise to get involved?
I for one do not want any one from LSU and I suspect RB will not either. Why mix up the great atmosphere we have with a bunch of players who are coming from such a enviorment like LSU. I have heard that RB is not as enoumered with the portal as others!

I'd agree in terms of high school evaluations.

On transfer evals, though?. There have been a lot of misses. These are the 5 guys who have transferred in during Barnes's tenure...

Justin Powell
EJ Anosike
Victor Bailey
Uros Plavsic
James Daniel

Not really a difference-maker in the bunch. Jury still out on Powell. Plav has been solid though unspectacular. I'd love to see us parlay our recent success into a more impactful player given how many are likely to exist on the transfer market with the portal.

In short, I'm hoping our interest in Hayes is very passive.

Anosike was a bust

But Daniel, Bailey, and Plavsic to me are different. Gamebreakers? No.

But Daniel shot 37% from 3, had 2 10 assist games.
Plavsic seems to show steady improvement and is a solid player
Bailey is a decent backup, not great, but not a waste of a spot.

Was never big on Powell coming in, thought there was too little to go off of for someone who is just there to shoot.

But overall I don't think we have done terrible or that there have been a lot of misses. Just not a ton of day 1 impacts either

A name that intrigues me too is Taylor Funk, would be a one year guy, 6’8” 230lbs stretch 4/5, dude has insane range…277/785 for his career from 3, good for 35.3%,for reference that’s about the pace of 3’s Santi is on for for his career.
I’m pretty high on this guy.

BJ Edwards says hi, I'm BJ, 2022 PG signed to Tennessee.
BJ is nice not sure he is ready for the college game yet but I see him as depth for both Vescovi and ZZ, I don’t think he is a pure point guard at this point but he has a good combo guard skills with a good shooting percentage in high school. Depth is important

Had a promising frosh szn, then a soph slump. Very smooth facilitator, active hands with good size (6'4). Questionable decision making, but Barnes could coach that out of him.
His numbers from his freshman season to his sophomore season were almost identical minus the shooting percentages, which were significantly worse, but were never really good to begin with. Points, rebounds, assists, steals, TOs. All very similar. He's just not very good. We need to aim higher.

Anosike was a bust

But Daniel, Bailey, and Plavsic to me are different. Gamebreakers? No.

But Daniel shot 37% from 3, had 2 10 assist games.
Plavsic seems to show steady improvement and is a solid player
Bailey is a decent backup, not great, but not a waste of a spot.

Was never big on Powell coming in, thought there was too little to go off of for someone who is just there to shoot.

But overall I don't think we have done terrible or that there have been a lot of misses. Just not a ton of day 1 impacts either
Come on...don't defend James Daniel. 😀 Those 10 asst games were against High Point and Mercer. He had a decent game sprinkled in here and there, but was still a 5.6 ppg, 2.8 apg kid. Yeah, he wasn't awful, but he wasn't a difference-maker, which is kind of my point.

We've taken 6 transfers in Barnes's 7 years, and none of them have made much of an impact, at all. No one like Kerry Blackshear, Oscar Tshiebwe, Kellan Grady, Walker Kessler, KD Johnson, Wendell Green, Sahvir Wheeler, Tari Eason, Xavier Pinson, JD Notae, Stanley Umude, Au'Diese Toney, Jahvon Quinerly, Henry Coleman, Tyrece Radford.

Come on...don't defend James Daniel. 😀 Those 10 asst games were against High Point and Mercer. He had a decent game sprinkled in here and there, but was still a 5.6 ppg, 2.8 apg kid. Yeah, he wasn't awful, but he wasn't a difference-maker, which is kind of my point.

We've taken 6 transfers in Barnes's 7 years, and none of them have made much of an impact, at all. No one like Kerry Blackshear, Oscar Tshiebwe, Kellan Grady, Walker Kessler, KD Johnson, Wendell Green, Sahvir Wheeler, Tari Eason, Xavier Pinson, JD Notae, Stanley Umude, Au'Diese Toney, Jahvon Quinerly, Henry Coleman, Tyrece Radford.
And yet we’ve arguably been more successful than all of those programs over that same time span 🤷🏻‍♂️ Maybe there’s something to the recruiting and developing of YOUR guys and just adding some depth types with transfers? I will 100% say I think we lose another 1-2 games minimum this year without Plav, while Daniels wasn’t huge he was a 20mpg PG on a really good team.

Uros is that guy but he averages about 11/2 fouls per every five minutes played.😀

You never know what the refs will be calling from the onset. Uros might be out there pounding on the opponents harder and harder to determine where the limit is with the officiating crew. Avoiding fouls isn’t in his job description. It is better for him to be on the court early being whistled for the cheap ones rather than Fulk and BHH.

His numbers from his freshman season to his sophomore season were almost identical minus the shooting percentages, which were significantly worse, but were never really good to begin with. Points, rebounds, assists, steals, TOs. All very similar. He's just not very good. We need to aim higher.

There’s more to a player than numbers, you’re aware, yes? Watch the tape. If he wasn’t worth a look we wouldn’t have reached out.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
You never know what the refs will be calling from the onset. Uros might be out there pounding on the opponents harder and harder to determine where the limit is with the officiating crew. Avoiding fouls isn’t in his job description. It is better for him to be on the court early being whistled for the cheap ones rather than Fulk and BHH.

A very important piece to the puzzle. It would be good to always have someone fill this role, and Uros has gotten much better at fitting into it.

Reactions: pimo1
And yet we’ve arguably been more successful than all of those programs over that same time span 🤷🏻‍♂️ Maybe there’s something to the recruiting and developing of YOUR guys and just adding some depth types with transfers? I will 100% say I think we lose another 1-2 games minimum this year without Plav, while Daniels wasn’t huge he was a 20mpg PG on a really good team.
I mean, sure, if I just wanted to argue, I could make a case that nearly every one of those guys contributed something. I never called any of them worthless stiffs. And I’m probably one of Plav’s biggest supporters on this board. You make it sound like I’m trying to poke holes in our roster construction or team success, and that is the furthest thing from the truth. It’s okay to admit that our staff hasn’t knocked it out of the park with transfers. I’m not saying that we are completely doing it wrong. It’s just my opinion that I don’t think we should waste time with bringing in developmental players with only two years of eligibility. The upside seems extremely limited. I’d only take impact players as transfers, and save developmental roles for high school guys who you’ll have for 4-5 years.

Reactions: pimo1
There’s more to a player than numbers, you’re aware, yes? Watch the tape. If he wasn’t worth a look we wouldn’t have reached out.
Got it. I wasn’t aware, actually. I thought stats were everything. I’ll assume you’ve combed over hours of NC State film studying him, so my bad. I’ll defer to you, the expert. I mean, why wouldn’t I take the talent advice of someone who thinks Oscar Tshiebwe isn’t worth mentioning in the realm of all-American? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I mean, sure, if I just wanted to argue, I could make a case that nearly every one of those guys contributed something. I never called any of them worthless stiffs. And I’m probably one of Plav’s biggest supporters on this board. You make it sound like I’m trying to poke holes in our roster construction or team success, and that is the furthest thing from the truth. It’s okay to admit that our staff hasn’t knocked it out of the park with transfers. I’m not saying that we are completely doing it wrong. It’s just my opinion that I don’t think we should waste time with bringing in developmental players with only two years of eligibility. The upside seems extremely limited. I’d only take impact players as transfers, and save developmental roles for high school guys who you’ll have for 4-5 years.
With a COVID Year could be 3 years, but that’s a fair take.

One thing about Cam Hayes is that even tho his 2pt and 3pt % dropped. His FT % went up while attempting more....he also got less run this season MPG wise....curiouser and curiouser

Reactions: johnfnkelly
Not saying I don't trust Barnes, but Barnes also wanted Zack Kent once upon a time, too.

Kent developed chronic leg injuries. He was a decent prospect with his size, shooting, and ball handling. He was like a more skilled, less mean version of Uros.

Sam Bowie was drafted ahead of Michael Jordan.

VN Store

Back