Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Account is run by a "Josh Nichols."

After googling, haven't really found anything substantial on the guy, but tweets from that account have made several different predictions and stuff that go against the grain for common crystal balls and stuff. Don't really think I buy into it.

Account is run by a "Josh Nichols."

After googling, haven't really found anything substantial on the guy, but tweets from that account have made several different predictions and stuff that go against the grain for common crystal balls and stuff. Don't really think I buy into it.
His sister Megan is a pretty big insider from what I’ve been told. His brother Drake played basketball somewhere too, I think.

Reactions: Vol49er
I'm not sure that's the case. Cal is still landing top classes. UK hasn't made a F4 since 2015, but has signed a top-2 class every year since then (7 classes). Landing talent isn't the issue.
You live there so I’m sure you’re more familiar with the Kentucky program, but I don’t remember Cal getting the crazy good classes like his early years. Seems like Duke and others started seriously competing for the top 10 players.

You live there so I’m sure you’re more familiar with the Kentucky program, but I don’t remember Cal getting the crazy good classes like his early years. Seems like Duke and others started seriously competing for the top 10 players.
As per his first post, they’ve been 1 or 2 for seven straight years. How much more “crazy good” can they get?

5* players by class...
2009 3
2010 4
2011 4
2012 3
2013 6
2014 4
2015 3 (last F4 appearance)
-------------
2016 5
2017 6
2018 4
2019 3
2020 2
2021 3
2022 2 (class not yet complete)

27 5* players in 7 years before the last F4 appearance, and 25 5* players in 7 years since. Pretty even.

Now, the argument can be made that not all those 5* players are created equal, and it's a valid point, but it's the best bad measurement we have to gauge year to year success in recruiting to make the point that talent isn't really the issue. And the slight discrepancy in the first 7 years and the last 7 years can be made up for with the addition of the transfer portal, where UK has made hay, as well. Olivier Sarr, Oscar Tshiebwe, Sahvir Wheeler, Kellan Grady, just to name a few. They might not have the exact same 5* pedigree, but they came in with something none of the freshman before them did; experience.

What it really boils down to is the fact that a very small number of other programs (primarily Duke) adopted Cal's philosophy of embracing the 1AD player. This diluted the talent pool a little bit and forced him to work harder to land the best players. But it didn't prevent him from landing the best players. He still got his fair share. They just haven't panned out for one reason or another.

I personally believe it's because Cal has gotten tired of the games he has to play to coax talent and effort out of these rent-a-kids, and has lost a little bit of the edge and fire he had when he came in with something to prove. Call it getting fat and sassy. I also suggested very early in the season that I could see Cal stepping down after this year, which was thought laughable by everyone on this forum, but now come the rumors of the Lakers perhaps pursuing him. I'll just continue to say, don't be surprised if UK is looking for a head coach before next season. That isn't a guarantee of anything, but an idea once thought laughable doesn't seem so far-fetched anymore.

As per his first post, they’ve been 1 or 2 for seven straight years. How much more “crazy good” can they get?
IIRC, they had classes along the lines of 5 of the top 10 ranked guys. There’s a huge difference in getting 3 of the top 5 and 2 of the next 5 vs what they’ve been getting as of late. They had the one class where 5 or 6 guys were drafted in the first round. I don’t recall them having anything close to that lately. This year isn’t Washington their only predicted first rounder?

5* players by class...
2009 3
2010 4
2011 4
2012 3
2013 6
2014 4
2015 3 (last F4 appearance)
-------------
2016 5
2017 6
2018 4
2019 3
2020 2
2021 3
2022 2 (class not yet complete)

27 5* players in 7 years before the last F4 appearance, and 25 5* players in 7 years since. Pretty even.

Now, the argument can be made that not all those 5* players are created equal, and it's a valid point, but it's the best bad measurement we have to gauge year to year success in recruiting to make the point that talent isn't really the issue. And the slight discrepancy in the first 7 years and the last 7 years can be made up for with the addition of the transfer portal, where UK has made hay, as well. Olivier Sarr, Oscar Tshiebwe, Sahvir Wheeler, Kellan Grady, just to name a few. They might not have the exact same 5* pedigree, but they came in with something none of the freshman before them did; experience.

What it really boils down to is the fact that a very small number of other programs (primarily Duke) adopted Cal's philosophy of embracing the 1AD player. This diluted the talent pool a little bit and forced him to work harder to land the best players. But it didn't prevent him from landing the best players. He still got his fair share. They just haven't panned out for one reason or another.

I personally believe it's because Cal has gotten tired of the games he has to play to coax talent and effort out of these rent-a-kids, and has lost a little bit of the edge and fire he had when he came in with something to prove. Call it getting fat and sassy. I also suggested very early in the season that I could see Cal stepping down after this year, which was thought laughable by everyone on this forum, but now come the rumors of the Lakers perhaps pursuing him. I'll just continue to say, don't be surprised if UK is looking for a head coach before next season. That isn't a guarantee of anything, but an idea once thought laughable doesn't seem so far-fetched anymore.
First round draft picks;
2009 - 0 & 1 second
2010 - 5
2011 - 2 & 2 seconds
2012 - 4 & 2 seconds
2013 - 2
2014 - 2
2015 - 4 & 2 seconds
2016 - 2 & 1 second
2017 - 3
2018 - 2 & 2 seconds
2019 - 3
2020 - 2 & 1 second
2021 - 1 & 2 seconds
2022 - Washington?

This data doesn’t show a huge difference in their recent classes, but of their first rounders since 2016 they’ve had 3 top 10 picks (5, 7 & 9). 2009-15 they had 10 top 10 picks including 3 #1’s (1, 5, 3, 8, 1 , 2, 6, 7, 1, 6)

This is what I meant that they aren’t getting the same quantity of elite recruits since 2016.

IIRC, they had classes along the lines of 5 of the top 10 ranked guys. There’s a huge difference in getting 3 of the top 5 and 2 of the next 5 vs what they’ve been getting as of late. They had the one class where 5 or 6 guys were drafted in the first round. I don’t recall them having anything close to that lately. This year isn’t Washington their only predicted first rounder?
You're thinking of his first class (2009). Five UK players were drafted in the 1st round of that following 2010 NBA draft, but Patrick Patterson was an inherited player from Billy Gillispie and not part of that first freshman class for Cal. John Wall was the #2 player in the class, and Damarcus Cousins was the #3 player, but the other two draftees in that class were Daniel Orton (#18 player) and Eric Bledsoe (#68 player). Orton put up like 3 pts and 1.5 rebounds per game and was drafted solely on potential, and of course busted. So, while there was a lot of eventual NBA draft collateral in that class, the actual recruiting rankings were rather modest by UK/Calipari standards.

There have been better classes for sure. As for this year, I think Sharpe is definitely a first round pick. Tshiebwe is at 27-31, but I can see him going higher given his rebounding.

VN Store

Back