Texas baseball hires Jim Schlossnagle of Texas A&M as coach, replacing David Pierce

I was wondering, if Texas A&m had won the championship. They would have most likely had a big party and a parade just like we did here in Knoxville. You think this Deuce nozzle would have stayed around for the big party and parade.

Stories around the Texas are the entire staff's going with those deuce nozzle.

Reactions: Pennheel
I bet that reporter wrote a pretty interesting article today. šŸ˜‚
several.

those were all written the same day as his ill timed 3 reasons he will stay article.

Both texas schools are, for me, the problem with college sports.

I 100% disagree with your comment. The problem in the State of Texas is the University of Texas. I've said several times the SEC will RUE the day they invited Texas into the SEC. For me, this is about as low as I've ever felt following A&M athletics. Schloss and tu showed their true character (though tu has always been this way).

Now it's starting to make sense some of the odd decisions Schloss made in Omaha. Game 2, 7th inning. Ags up by one run, and yet he doesn't bring in our Ace closer. Why? Texas' timing will easily set the A&M program back a couple of years. Entire coaching staff gone. Portal closes in 7 days and Schloss is trying to take players. Not a good time at all to be an Aggie. :(

I 100% disagree with your comment. The problem in the State of Texas is the University of Texas. I've said several times the SEC will RUE the day they invited Texas into the SEC. For me, this is about as low as I've ever felt following A&M athletics. Schloss and tu showed their true character (though tu has always been this way).

Now it's starting to make sense some of the odd decisions Schloss made in Omaha. Game 2, 7th inning. Ags up by one run, and yet he doesn't bring in our Ace closer. Why? Texas' timing will easily set the A&M program back a couple of years. Entire coaching staff gone. Portal closes in 7 days and Schloss is trying to take players. Not a good time at all to be an Aggie. :(
not sure how this reflects poorly on texass.

seems like a great move all around for them.

I was wondering, if Texas A&m had won the championship. They would have most likely had a big party and a parade just like we did here in Knoxville. You think this Deuce nozzle would have stayed around for the big party and parade.

Stories around the Texas are the entire staff's going with those deuce nozzle.
If so, then I would think that the entire staff knew about this long ago and had decided to go as well. No way did Schloss get all the assistants together after the game and say "hey, guize," and they'd all checked with their families etc and agreed in a matter of hours.

Boy, if I were a player on a team that had come in second in a national championship and found that my coaching staff had already moved on to another team...

The AD that hired the canoe took the Ohio State job
New AD Alberts marching orders - keep cost down due to the ex-football coach emptying the aTm vault ... supposively even firing some of the baseball admin staff without telling the canoe
Texass AD was the AD at TCU when the canoe coached there...
The canoe made like Billie Joe and Bobby Sue and decided to

BaseVols should pay TTM&R if Texass comes to LNS next year and every time the canoe comes to town

A&M hired him away from TCU with years still in his contract at TCU, correct? How was that any different from this?

"I think it's pretty selfish of you to ask me that question, to be honest with you. I left my family to be the coach at Texas A&M. I took the job at Texas A&M to never take another job again. And that hasn't changed in my mind. That's unfair to talk about something like that, that'd be like you asking Montgomery if he's going to sign in the draft, but I understand you gotta ask the question. But I gave up a big part of my life to come take this job, and I've poured every ounce of my soul in this job. And I've given this job every single ounce I can possibly give it. Write that." ~ Jim Schlossnagle

Let that be a lesson for the young. When anyone talks about their emotions or says how dare you ask the question, it is merely a smokescreen to hide the fact that they are not answering the question.

A simple answer would have been "Im not going anywhere" but clearly that was not the case.

Last edited:
A&M hired him away from TCU with years still in his contract at TCU, correct? How was that any different from this?
Schloss divorced his wife and left his family. He wanted the A&M job badly...saying he needed to get away from Ft. Worth.

Schloss divorced his wife and left his family. He wanted the A&M job badly...saying he needed to get away from Ft. Worth.
Keep the faith, Aggie man. It doesn't seem that long ago that our new hot-shot coach who replaced a legend bolted for his dream job. It was a dumpster fire. The aftermath took a long time to clean up. We are in as good a place as we have been in a long time. If you trust your admin and AD, your recovery should be shorter than ours.

Schloss now strikes me as someone who will say whatever needs to be said to justify his choices. I wouldn't put a lot of trust in what he said to join TAMU just as I don't trust what he said now to join the 'sips.

This is a dick move of the highest order. There are certain jobs you donā€™t leave to take the rival position. You donā€™t leave Ohio State to go to Michigan, Auburn/Alabama, Duke/UNC, Red Sox/Yankees. This falls in that category. That guy has to be public enemy #1 in College Station now.

This is a dick move of the highest order. There are certain jobs you donā€™t leave to take the rival position. You donā€™t leave Ohio State to go to Michigan, Auburn/Alabama, Duke/UNC, Red Sox/Yankees. This falls in that category. That guy has to be public enemy #1 in College Station now.
You wouldn't work for a Rival if it increased your salary by a noteworthy amount?

You wouldn't work for a Rival if it increased your salary by a noteworthy amount?
I donā€™t know. I think it depends on how much value I put into other things . Is it worth severing every friendship Iā€™ve made or burning bridges w/ those that trusted me? I donā€™t know his situation, but I know that there are bigger things in the world than chasing $. If Josh Heupel left for Bama or Florida for an increase in salary would you have problem w/ him ? I would .

I donā€™t know. I think it depends on how much value I put into other things . Is it worth severing every friendship Iā€™ve made or burning bridges w/ those that trusted me? I donā€™t know his situation, but I know that there are bigger things in the world than chasing $. If Josh Heupel left for Bama or Florida for an increase in salary would you have problem w/ him ? I would .
I would be angry if CJH did that, sure. But if those schools offered something we couldn't or wouldn't match, I would understand. I advise my clients (business owners) that people are rarely acting against them but are frequently acting for themselves. The same thing applies with this. It just happens to be in opposition to something very important to me.
When I think about an employee of Coca Cola going to work for Pepsi, or Apple going to Google, etc the same emotional response doesn't generate. And who among us would fault an engineer at Apple going to Google for better pay/opportunity/culture and such?

But the question was how is Texas hiring him away from A&M any different from A&M hiring him away from TCU?

And maybe a guy who supposedly abandons his wife and children doesn't have the highest morals and you shouldn't be surprised when he displays some less than desirable behavior.

Hey TH, are you aware of the pitchcom controversy on our side of game 3 CWS?

Reactions: Halph66
Yeah, people would be mad at the departing coach just like when Kiffin left. The difference here is A&M's fixation that Texas is the source of all evil in the world and the SEC will rue the day they joined the conference. That whole thing is like a deranged ex-wife who blames her former husband for everything wrong in her life.

I would be angry if CJH did that, sure. But if those schools offered something we couldn't or wouldn't match, I would understand. I advise my clients (business owners) that people are rarely acting against them but are frequently acting for themselves. The same thing applies with this. It just happens to be in opposition to something very important to me.
When I think about an employee of Coca Cola going to work for Pepsi, or Apple going to Google, etc the same emotional response doesn't generate. And who among us would fault an engineer at Apple going to Google for better pay/opportunity/culture and such?
I see what youā€™re saying. I think people see coaches as representatives of their school, they view them as buying into what they value for life. Yes there are people who have brand loyalty to Coke and Apple, but being a fan or an alum is also an identity. When you are a public employee who leaves for THE rival school, there will be a ton of venom, especially w/ aTm towards Texas.

Reactions: McDad
He stated in his post game presser that talking about the Texas opening was not on the table.
Not exactly. This was a classic non-denial denial. He made a bunch of statements that, taken on their face, make it sound like he's definitely staying but he never once says "I am not taking the Texas job."

Notice how everything in his response to the reporter was past tense. "I took" the job at A&M to never take another one. "That hasn't changed" in my mind (...but could in the future). "I poured" every ounce of my soul in this job. "I gave" this job every ounce I "could." He was speaking as though he had already left, because he basically already had. That's the only way you sign a contract less than 24 hours after the season was over. He says he left his family to take the A&M job - OK, so that means that the A&M job means a lot to him, but what does that have to do with not going to Texas?

That's pretty wild to be working out a deal with Texas while playing for a national title at A&M.

I see what youā€™re saying. I think people see coaches as representatives of their school, they view them as buying into what they value for life. Yes there are people who have brand loyalty to Coke and Apple, but being a fan or an alum is also an identity. When you are a public employee who leaves for THE rival school, there will be a ton of venom, especially w/ aTm towards Texas.
100% agree. The coach is part of the brand or face of the university. But not because there is genuine love, at least not initially. That is simply part of the job. Fans aren't wrong for being bitter about it, either. It's an opinion.

I try to stay objective about an employee leaving for something they think is better even if I don't agree.

I've been a UT fan ever since my early teens. But I would work for Alabama if the conditions were right for me and my family.

His comment ā€œā€¦and that hasnā€™t changed IN MY MINDā€¦ā€ says a lot. Says to me that he took the aTm job and, at the time, probably did think he would never take another job. Itā€™s not really the same as emphatically stating ā€œIā€™m not leavingā€. He was parsing words there, imo, signaling he had left the door open. Maybe Iā€™m too cynical these days, but to me itā€™s always what they DONā€™T say that I pay attention to. If TV used that kind of nuanced language, it would concern me.

Yeah, people would be mad at the departing coach just like when Kiffin left. The difference here is A&M's fixation that Texas is the source of all evil in the world and the SEC will rue the day they joined the conference. That whole thing is like a deranged ex-wife who blames her former husband for everything wrong in her life.
I spent 3 days around a ton of them this past weekend. I'm not sure why I was surprised by this, but the fixation they have on Texas is more of a psychological condition than a rivalry. Your description of it is spot on. It's more like a toxic, self-destructive, dysfunctional relationship than simple hate or dislike of another program.

We talked to 6-7 different groups of Aggie fans, maybe 25 people in total. I am not exaggerating - each and every one of those groups brought up Texas, unprompted, with 90 seconds of the conversation starting, and took some kind of shot at them. It surpassed anything I've ever seen in any other rivalry, and that includes Alabama/Auburn. I lost count of how many times I heard "they are going to ruin the SEC." I don't think they understand how math works, but it is 100% emotional to them.

VN Store

Back