Texas, 'He Is Lying. People Are Dying'

I would not expect to die in such a manner. Now, I take note of all the Clint Eastwood types on here, but still, a person in the United States of America who pays his utility bills on time... SHOULD NOT FREEZE TO DEATH IN THEIR OWN DAMN LIVING ROOM!
My heart breaks that someone freezes to death, but there was help available. The fact that they didn't reach out nor did family and friends reach out for help is the real pity. Our electric systems are designed for highest reliability not absolute reliability.
City of Abilene - Highlights
City warming centers are available at Beltway Park Church north and southside campuses, (located at 2850 Highway 351 and 4009 Beltway Park South) and Broadview Baptist Church (2500 South 27th). Anyone needing transportation to a warming center can call 325.721.4948 or 325.721.6074.

Not really. If your life depends on it you either handle it or you don’t. If you don’t handle it you wind up dead, frozen to death in your recliner.
I was responding to this statement by you.......
You either own your safety or security, or you depend on others to provide.
We all do both to varying degrees.

You would be wrong as usual.
Not at all. It's you who is wrong in your world of concrete and absolutes.
Every time you take a drink of water, buy meat at a store, take a prescription med, or drive over a bridge, you are willingly putting your safety and security in the hands of others.

I was responding to this statement by you.......
You either own your safety or security, or you depend on others to provide.
We all do both to varying degrees.
And your response was BS. I don’t depend on them as that implicitly states a transfer of responsibility. I don’t transfer that responsibility that always resides with me. They provide convenience but they never own my family’s safety and security. Liberals like yourself cannot comprehend that.

And your response was BS. I don’t depend on them as that implicitly states a transfer of responsibility. I don’t transfer that responsibility that always resides with me. Liberals like yourself cannot comprehend that.
Every time you take a drink of water, buy meat at a store, take a prescription med, or drive over a bridge, you are willingly putting your safety and security in the hands of others.

Not at all. It's you who is wrong in your world of concrete and absolutes.
For your example to fit the person would have to know that the act could lead to death but still choose to do it. If the bridge is out I don't drive over it. I know that even with my public school education

Nope. The narrative you’re selling doesn’t wash and is not equivalent. As usual for the tripe you post.

Reactions: VolnJC
Were you born in 1930? It seems that way.

No, I was bought up and taught how to handle bad situations. Growing up it wasn't unusual for to be out of power for a few days several times during the winter, longest stretch I remember was about 2 weeks and yet nobody froze to death and the cows got fed and milked. I think it was 2006 when the tornado came through Gallatin we were out of power for a week but were prepared and managed without any .gov assistance. It's called being an adult.

Physically we're regressing.
I agree. We have become way too comfortable with comfort. I think back to shivering mornings I spent in a tree stand begging for the sun to rise (no heat in the cabin either so that didn't help) and wonder if my boys could do the same. Or the 3 days I spent chasing antelope in AZ and sweating my ass off and getting sunburned. Idk I just wish we were different

Reactions: VolnJC and AM64
I agree. We have become way too comfortable with comfort. I think back to shivering mornings I spent in a tree stand begging for the sun to rise (no heat in the cabin either so that didn't help) and wonder if my boys could do the same. Or the 3 days I spent chasing antelope in AZ and sweating my ass off and getting sunburned. Idk I just wish we were different

We have been coddling our kids for far too long.

Oh wow. I’d cringe to think how most of the kids in the neighborhood would deal with a frosty East TN morning during deer season.

Fortunately the seed of my family is in good hands. My grand nephew is 19 now and already a more accomplished hunter than I ever became. His step father did a really good job in teaching that boy man skills.

Reactions: AM64
We are always getting slammed with third party reseller offers. Goes back to deregulation. For example we use TXU Energy as our “provider” but the grid is owned and maintained by Oncor. We’ve been with TXU for years and currently aren’t under a long term contract. I’m guessing we will see a spike in our bill for a couple of months since we aren’t currently under a long term contact but Jan thru Mar are our lowest months for electrical cost anyway. It gets back to how your house is setup. We have gas heat. Our neighbor has a heat pump with electric backup. They are going to get a** ****d by this storm. We will pay a premium on seasonally low electricity with some nominal increase in natural gas usage.

Several years ago I went with a Trane heat pump here with one electric auxiliary heat strip. I made the decision because gas rates were going nuts and because the damn yankees couldn't size heat/AC units sold in the south for beans. It's worked extremely well, and finally the AC capacity has kept the house constant every summer day, and the heat doesn't come on and run about five minutes and turn off and then repeat while first blowing in cold air from the ductwork ... and I don't have to keep replacing control components or gas evacuator fans. A heat pump didn't work out well in the other house because it was built in 1918 - my mistake. I like gas; we use it for cooking and for hot water. It would be a real winner if the heat and air units were sized properly for the location, and especially if the gas heating didn't still require electricity for control and for fans and blowers.

Several years ago I went with a Trane heat pump here with one electric auxiliary heat strip. I made the decision because gas rates were going nuts and because the damn yankees couldn't size heat/AC units sold in the south for beans. It's worked extremely well, and finally the AC capacity has kept the house constant every summer day, and the heat doesn't come on and run about five minutes and turn off and then repeat while first blowing in cold air from the ductwork ... and I don't have to keep replacing control components or gas evacuator fans. A heat pump didn't work out well in the other house because it was built in 1918 - my mistake. I like gas; we use it for cooking and for hot water. It would be a real winner if the heat and air units were sized properly for the location, and especially if the gas heating didn't still require electricity for control and for fans and blowers.
I have a heat pump with 10kw of resistance heat for defrost mode and cold weather backup. I just got my electric bill today and it was $158 for mid January to mid February. Thank you TVA! My power only goes out when some dumbass mows down a power pole near my house. I like gas heat when it's really cold, but for our weather in TN a heat pump works great.

Now, if they could only learn how to get online to get in line for their vaccine at Walgreens.

If only we could get the vaccine here at Walgreens instead of one distribution center for the whole county. Morons running a schiffshow.

Reactions: RavinDave
I would not expect to die in such a manner. Now, I take note of all the Clint Eastwood types on here, but still, a person in the United States of America who pays his utility bills on time... SHOULD NOT FREEZE TO DEATH IN THEIR OWN DAMN LIVING ROOM!
Well what if a tree that was weighted down by ice snapped and broke the power line or a transformer blew? You gonna sit there and freeze to death? Sounds to me like you need to grow up and start wiping your own behind

VN Store

Back