That's racist!

Somewhere the TVA is laughing.

deliverance02.jpg

Reactions: FLVOL_79
My mother in law's parents' first farm is under Cherokee Lake. My father in law's family home is under I-40.

Lots of people were voluntold to make sacrifices for the TVA dam system, the interstate system. They were also well-compensated for being forced to move.
I’m sure there were more whites displaced than blacks, but that doesn’t fit the victim narrative

My mother in law's parents' first farm is under Cherokee Lake. My father in law's family home is under I-40.

Lots of people were voluntold to make sacrifices for the TVA dam system, the interstate system. They were also well-compensated for being forced to move.

Cherokee Lake? Sounds offensive.

BTW those properties that blacks say they want additional compensation for with their displacement at the time were not really valuable. Only now that they have displaced and cities are revitalizing their inner cities are those land areas valuable now. A freakin rabbit hole.

The Japanese don't have eminent domain. (Narita airport, outside Tokyo) If you look at the airplane by the Sanrizuka Co point, to the right there is a farm. If that farm was not there, runway 34R would have been extended over that point. The farmer would not sell, so the airport was 'expanded' around him. It looks like a prison from ground level There are huge walls and really bright lights that shine on him 24/7. Annnnnnnd, airplanes on short final fly right over him.... day and night.... Your family got a great deal.
Screenshot (329).png

I was living near Tellico lake in the 70's when TVA finally got the okay to close the gates on the dam and flood the lake. There was a massive **** storm over how TVA took 500 acres or more of land when only 1 or 2 were flooded. Eventually a bunch of retired Michiganders and Ohioans that retired from Ford, GM and Chrysler moved in and bought up the former farm land that TVA confiscated.

Reactions: jp1, AM64 and AshG

Well compensated? My family was forced to sell about 50 acres for a TVA project. I’d call it anything but well compensated.

Reactions: AM64
I’m sure there were more whites displaced than blacks, but that doesn’t fit the victim narrative
What I don't like about articles like that are they're really about poor people, not just black people. Poor whites got the same deal. Here's a pittance, we're flooding your farms and towns for progress, good luck. Our family farm has transmission lines running across it from Boone Lake. I don't think they really consulted my grandpa's family on how they thought it should be done. It had nothing to do with race, if it did most TVA lakes wouldn't exist. It had to do with the calculus that the homes and livelihoods of these poor people are expendable and they'll figure something out. Rural electrification certainly did a lot for our area and a good bit of the south, but people were also treated poorly.

The Japanese don't have eminent domain. (Narita airport, outside Tokyo) If you look at the airplane by the Sanrizuka Co point, to the right there is a farm. If that farm was not there, runway 34R would have been extended over that point. The farmer would not sell, so the airport was 'expanded' around him. It looks like a prison from ground level There are huge walls and really bright lights that shine on him 24/7. Annnnnnnd, airplanes on short final fly right over him.... day and night.... Your family got a great deal.
View attachment 376888

I was making another trip to Japan when Narita was scheduled to open. Seemed like a bad idea to fly into a new airport - new airport - new problems. I convinced our travel department to let me fly China Airlines (the good China) from LA into Haneda instead. Not a bad idea in the end - that day protestors firebombed Narita and seized the control tower.

I was living near Tellico lake in the 70's when TVA finally got the okay to close the gates on the dam and flood the lake. There was a massive **** storm over how TVA took 500 acres or more of land when only 1 or 2 were flooded. Eventually a bunch of retired Michiganders and Ohioans that retired from Ford, GM and Chrysler moved in and bought up the former farm land that TVA confiscated.

I've always thought that part was criminal. The people who owned the land should have been the ones who got any lakefront property left if their land wasn't completely flooded.

Reactions: VolStrom
What I don't like about articles like that are they're really about poor people, not just black people. Poor whites got the same deal. Here's a pittance, we're flooding your farms and towns for progress, good luck. Our family farm has transmission lines running across it from Boone Lake. I don't think they really consulted my grandpa's family on how they thought it should be done. It had nothing to do with race, if it did most TVA lakes wouldn't exist. It had to do with the calculus that the homes and livelihoods of these poor people are expendable and they'll figure something out. Rural electrification certainly did a lot for our area and a good bit of the south, but people were also treated poorly.
Yep…. I was fortunate enough as a kid to drive around and see where Normandy lake was going to be while it was filling up. Old country churches, old farm houses….. rusted iron bridges with wooden planks….. it was awesome for a young boy…. As the lake filled up, the snakes came out of the woodwork…. They were freaking everywhere

Reactions: AshG and AM64
Yep…. I was fortunate enough as a kid to drive around and see where Normandy lake was going to be while it was filling up. Old country churches, old farm houses….. rusted iron bridges with wooden planks….. it was awesome for a young boy…. As the lake filled up, the snakes came out of the woodwork…. They were freaking everywhere

Snakes…why'd it have to be snakes?

I was making another trip to Japan when Narita was scheduled to open. Seemed like a bad idea to fly into a new airport - new airport - new problems. I convinced our travel department to let me fly China Airlines (the good China) from LA into Haneda instead. Not a bad idea in the end - that day protestors firebombed Narita and seized the control tower.
I adore Japan. I think it is so cool when the pushback crew (who all dress like they work at Fukushima) disconnect the jet and line up and wave goodbye to the passengers.... Can you imagine the waves you would get in NY?

VN Store

Back