The 2012 PGA Championship

Vijay has one major win post 40. Ben Hogan had three, the most of anyone I know of past 40. Even then, that's only 1/3 of his majors. Jack had two at 40 and of course, "The One" after 40. Arnie had one. Snead had two. Hagen didn't have any, but he didn't really play in any at that age either iirc. None for Lord Byron and Gary Player had one. I'm not saying it's impossible, but facts are facts. Major Championships after you're 40 years old are incredibly rare in the PGA. govols says several won most their stuff in their 40s. I want to know who I'm not thinking of.
Hence the reason I couched with "Tiger's age". I think he's got basically 20 more good shots and then one here and there after that. He'll be competitive at Augusta into his mid to late 40s.

Hence the reason I couched with "Tiger's age". I think he's got basically 20 more good shots and then one here and there after that. He'll be competitive at Augusta into his mid to late 40s.

Tiger definitely has some good chances. I still question his knee though. He still has moments where you can tell it's still weak. But govols specifically talked about post 40. The stats simply prove him wrong.

Singh won two pre 40 and one at 40. easy E has 4 majors, only one after forty. Lefty was also only 39 in his last major win.

Last edited:
Darren Clarke, Easy E, Vijay and Payne Stewart are the only over 40 year olds I see that have won since O'Meara's run in 98. I might have missed one or two, but that's 4 out of like 56. Yeah, it's real common.

Furthermore, pro golf is much deeper now than it was in 2000. There are so many young guys capable of winning majors - DJ, Bubba, Fowler, Rory, McDowell, Day, Keegan, etc. - plus your Kuchars and Strickers and Luke Donalds who are always a threat to get hot on the right week and grind one out. And seasoned vets like Vijay, Phil, Furyk. As good as Rory is, and I think he's clearly the best in the world right now, I would put his career majors over/under at 6.5.

Furthermore, pro golf is much deeper now than it was in 2000. There are so many young guys capable of winning majors - DJ, Bubba, Fowler, Rory, McDowell, Day, Keegan, etc. - plus your Kuchars and Strickers and Luke Donalds who are always a threat to get hot on the right week and grind one out. And seasoned vets like Vijay, Phil, Furyk. As good as Rory is, and I think he's clearly the best in the world right now, I would put his career majors over/under at 6.5.

Fowler has been dismal in majors

and? Do you just want me to point out that he was only 37 when he won the US Open back in '07 or something?

But you think Tiger is washed up at 36? The best golfer ever can't win 3 more majors at his age yet these golfers do it.

VN Store

Back