The 2024 MLB Draft - Discussion Thread

Now is when we keep an eye on the freshman.

Seibert is ranked 108
Southsiene is ranked 111
Abernathy is ranked 122
Snyder is ranked 155

These were the only HS guys I found in the top 250

Little thing I found interesting is that Snyder’s scouting report says he’s added a good amount of muscle/may have loss quickness and he can play 3B. That’s a nice option to have down the road.

Last edited:
He's not making MLB.
The one game I made to LNS in 2023 with my daughter was when this kid pitched against the Vols. We were a little late arriving from Knoxville and parking. We heard the fireworks walking up and maybe saw him face 2 batters before he was pulled. He pitched 1.0 inning, and gave up 6 runs. Beam pitched a gem.

Reactions: HeadVol77

Seibert is ranked 108
Southsiene is ranked 111
Abernathy is ranked 122
Snyder is ranked 155

Little thing I found interesting is that Snyder’s scouting report says he’s added a good amount of muscle/may have loss quickness and he can play 3B. That’s a nice option to have down the road.
Tegan Kuhns, Manny Marin, and Levi Clark are also up there. Tanner Wiggins is a transfer RHP to watch. And of course, watch Rataczak.

Kuhns and Snyder will be draft eligible sophomores if they go to college, so that could work in our favor.

From McKee’s podcast, it sounds like the odds of signing are:
Kuhns 50/50
Seibert 50/50
Wiggins more likely to sign
Marin more likely to sign
Snyder more likely to sign
Abernathy more likely to be a Vol
Clark more likely to be a Vol
Southisene more likely to sign
Rataczak more likely to be a Vol (Doyle doesn’t think he gets drafted. But if he’s drafted, i bet he signs)

Reactions: HeadVol77

Seibert is ranked 108
Southsiene is ranked 111
Abernathy is ranked 122
Snyder is ranked 155

Tegan Kuhns is 96 ranked prospect on MLB.

Seibert is ranked 108
Southsiene is ranked 111
Abernathy is ranked 122
Snyder is ranked 155

In previous drafts anyone drafted in the top 10 rounds went to the MLB. Does the NIL change this?

In previous drafts anyone drafted in the top 10 rounds went to the MLB. Does the NIL change this?
Yes, NIL changes this for sure. I mean look at the LSU kid William something. He’s most likely a 1st rounder and he told everyone yesterday to not even bother to pick him because he was going to LSU. Most likely he just turned down millions just to go to LSU and most likely a 1st round pick. So yes NIL makes a big difference compared to what it did years ago, it’s a whole new landscape! Be interesting to see how many high schoolers we do end up losing.

Like Ben McKee said, if we can keep the high schoolers signing to 5 or less, you are absolutely thrilled.

I think main priority is to get one of Kuhns or Seibert. Hopefully both lol.
I would be
Great question. I remember one year maybe two years ago all but 2 players signed that were drafted in top 10 rounds. But the teams know which players are not going to sign so they do not draft them..

Red Sox actually did well @TheMookieMonster

Montgomery at the spot is A+ imo
Then y’all went and got Paul Skenes Lite

They had a nice Day 1 for sure. I’d love to see a Tennessee player get drafted by us one day, but that’s such a longshot. Overall, it’s hard to not be thrilled with getting a Top 5 prospect at 12.

Yes, NIL changes this for sure. I mean look at the LSU kid William something. He’s most likely a 1st rounder and he told everyone yesterday to not even bother to pick him because he was going to LSU. Most likely he just turned down millions just to go to LSU and most likely a 1st round pick. So yes NIL makes a big difference compared to what it did years ago, it’s a whole new landscape! Be interesting to see how many high schoolers we do end up losing.
Not sure NIL played a major role there, though. The kid couldn't be getting much more than what, $200k? I can't imagine that college baseball NIL is touching seven figures. So, it is a benefit, but the gap in money is so large that it doesn't seem like the motivation was monetary. He may have just wanted to go the college route. There have been those guys in past drafts that just preferred the college route for one reason or another, and they got nothing from the school (legally, at least) to do it.

VN Store

Back