The Atlanta Braves Thread (Terry Pendleton Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. If the gameday atmosphere at Neyland becomes just a bunch a new age trash piped in over the speakers like an NFL game, it's going to be a sad day. You're right though that the band could benefit from some variety in its songs. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, just about every change that has occurred in college football in recent years has been done with literally nothing but money in mind, and continues to drive the sport farther and farther away from the game I grew up loving.

I read a little bit into that thread and one of the reasons for the cuts is to do more advertising and save money. Hence, not taking the full band or taking no one to away games. The band is part of what makes college football special. One of many and I think you definitely lose something of it goes away.

That being said, if someone is for cutting all the non-UT affiliated music, I could probably get on board. However, Rocky Top, Tennessee Waltz, Down the Field, Fight Vols Fight, V-O-L-S, and Let's go UT need to stay IMO because they are unique to our school. Also, if we're keeping one non UT song, it needs to be "The Battle" IMO. That song is always perfectly timed.

@schadjoe: Tennessee and Virginia Tech have agreed to play a football game in 2016 at Bristol Motor Speedway, where a record 160,000 fans are expected

@schadjoe: Tennessee and Virginia Tech have agreed to play a football game in 2016 at Bristol Motor Speedway, where a record 160,000 fans are expected

So apparently a game at Nebraska and the toughest conference in the nation isn't enough. Our stupid ass administration is just hell bent on making sure we have no gimme wins while the rest of the conference loads up on four freebies every year. One of these days the damn fools that call the shots will learn that it's not 1990 anymore and there's no benefit to playing games like this.

So apparently a game at Nebraska and the toughest conference in the nation isn't enough. Our stupid ass administration is just hell bent on making sure we have no gimme wins while the rest of the conference loads up on four freebies every year. One of these days the damn fools that call the shots will learn that it's not 1990 anymore and there's no benefit to playing games like this.

Not this again!

Maybe we'll forfeit the Nebraska game.

Not this again!

I'm not backing off this. It's stupid beyond belief to continually cut ourselves off at the knees with our scheduling practices while everyone we aspire to be rivals with plays the conference and four directional schools a year. Our OOC that year will be Nebraska, Va Tech, UCONN (a team that right now isn't good but has fielded at least decent teams in the recent memory) and another opponent to be named in the future.

I understand why we scheduled like that in the past because we have to recruit nationally and to get the requisite visibility we needed to get in national TV and into other parts of the country, so the obvious solution is to schedule marquee OOC games. Now that every SEC game is available all over the country, the games no longer serve any benefit when the rest of the conference isn't doing it.

I'm not backing off this. It's stupid beyond belief to continually cut ourselves off at the knees with our scheduling practices while everyone we aspire to be rivals with plays the conference and four directional schools a year. Our OOC that year will be Nebraska, Va Tech, UCONN (a team that right now isn't good but has fielded at least decent teams in the recent memory) and another opponent to be named in the future.

I understand why we scheduled like that in the past because we have to recruit nationally and to get the requisite visibility we needed to get in national TV and into other parts of the country, so the obvious solution is to schedule marquee OOC games. Now that every SEC game is available all over the country, the games no longer serve any benefit when the rest of the conference isn't doing it.

..........Not this again!

Reactions: 2 people
You know what cuts us off at the knees? It's not our schedule; it's the fact that our team sucks. If Jones hasn't rebuilt it by 2016 to the point that we don't need to be afraid of Nebraska or VPI anymore, we'll have much bigger problems.

..........Not this again!

Explain to me why it's not stupid to think that playing 8 games (possibly 9 by then) against the best conference, and due to a yearly game with Bama almost always the toughest schedule within that conference, isn't enough and we should add an additional degree of difficulty or two that the other teams in the SEC don't. I just don't see how that benefits us.

Just about every team will be going to a schedule like we have in 2016 as one of the big criteria the playoff committee will look at is non conference strength of schedule

Explain to me why it's not stupid to think that playing 8 games (possibly 9 by then) against the best conference, and due to a yearly game with Bama almost always the toughest schedule within that conference, isn't enough and we should add an additional degree of difficulty or two that the other teams in the SEC don't. I just don't see how that benefits us.

Dude it's VA Tech. That's gonna be like playing NCST in 2012. Big Balls has this on lock. Calm the **** down.

Largest football game ever. Not just largest in college, but largest ever. It's called great publicity. It's called a great recruiting tool. This is not a bad thing. And it's VT, man. Not like we are playing the college football equivalent of the 27 Yankees.

You know what cuts us off at the knees? It's not our schedule; it's the fact that our team sucks. If Jones hasn't rebuilt it by 2016 to the point that we don't need to be afraid of Nebraska or VPI anymore, we'll have much bigger problems.

The team sucking obviously doesn't help, but I just feel like our scheduling philosophy is hopelessly archaic. Again, these types of games were rooted in good common sense 25 years ago. Now, they serve almost no purpose from either a fiscal or practical standpoint and have tremendous downside when you're either hoping to contend for a NC (just ask UGA) or struggling to get bowl eligible. I suppose if you're an 8 or 9 win kind if team then it doesn't really matter and it's just a good game for fans to watch.

This. And, not that I'm saying we'll be competing for a NC by then, but with the playoff system coming teams that play schedules like ours that year will benefit in theory.

Just about every team will be going to a schedule like we have in 2016 as one of the big criteria the playoff committee will look at is non conference strength of schedule

Several years down the road you're probably right once the playoff inevitably expands. By 2016, the playoff will still be at four teams and even more than one loss will almost certainly eliminate you from contention. Teams won't load up on a gauntlet schedule till it gets big enough that they know they can still get in with 2-3 losses.

This. And, not that I'm saying we'll be competing for a NC by then, but with the playoff system coming teams that play schedules like ours that year will benefit in theory.

This. It has been said numerous times that the selection committee wants high profile no conference games so we are going to give them to them. I don't know if we'll be in the hunt for a national championship at that point, but that is the level at which I expect this program to be and we need to plan accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back