The Atlanta Braves Thread (Terry Pendleton Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randall Cobb just had his knee destroyed in another clear case where no injury would have occurred if defenders weren't virtually assured of a penalty for hitting above the waist.

My reservations about this VT game at Bristol aside, here's something that's kind of had me thinking since they announced it. Do you guys really think they sell that place out? Attendance to live sporting events has been a growing problem for years, so much so that this year both the UT/UF game and yesterday's UF/LSU game had thousands of empty seats. Those are big time rivalries played in some of the premier football venues in the nation.

I just have a tough time seeing 160,000 people buying pricey tickets to watch a game where the people CLOSEST to the field will be so far away from the field it will be like watching from Gate 21 outside Neyland. That's not even taking into consideration people who may have seats with obstructed sight lines due to the buildings in the infield. Basically you'll be paying $100 a head to say you were there and watch the game on the video screen.

My reservations about this VT game at Bristol aside, here's something that's kind of had me thinking since they announced it. Do you guys really think they sell that place out? Attendance to live sporting events has been a growing problem for years, so much so that this year both the UT/UF game and yesterday's UF/LSU game had thousands of empty seats. Those are big time rivalries played in some of the premier football venues in the nation.

I just have a tough time seeing 160,000 people buying pricey tickets to watch a game where the people CLOSEST to the field will be so far away from the field it will be like watching from Gate 21 outside Neyland. That's not even taking into consideration people who may have seats with obstructed sight lines due to the buildings in the infield. Basically you'll be paying $100 a head to say you were there and watch the game on the video screen.

If we are winning, they will come

I'd be surprised if it didn't sell out this time with the national buzz that the announcement generated. Now if this game turned into a yearly occurrence I could see at some point seeing some empty seats.

If we are winning, they will come

I don't doubt they can get a bunch of people there, but this 160,000 seems like I reach the more I think about it. There are a lot of logistical nightmares that accompany going to Bristol, the most glaring of which is a limited number of hotels for a game where both teams are from out of town. This plays out okay at the NASCAR race where an overwhelming majority go and simply set up at campsites, but I'm not sure how well that plan translates to the CFB crowd. What few hotels they have are booked months or years in advance and you have to pay through the nose to get them. I don't know about the Virginia side, but down I-81 in TN, there is really nothing to speak of until you get back to the Pigeon Forge exit, and by that point you may as well just go in home.

As someone who has been to Bristol many times, the typical day is leaving sometime before noon and getting home in the 3-4 AM range. I don't know how many people that will deter, but I'm sure it will be a consideration for some.

I don't doubt they can get a bunch of people there, but this 160,000 seems like I reach the more I think about it. There are a lot of logistical nightmares that accompany going to Bristol, the most glaring of which is a limited number of hotels for a game where both teams are from out of town. This plays out okay at the NASCAR race where an overwhelming majority go and simply set up at campsites, but I'm not sure how well that plan translates to the CFB crowd. What few hotels they have are booked months or years in advance and you have to pay through the nose to get them. I don't know about the Virginia side, but down I-81 in TN, there is really nothing to speak of until you get back to the Pigeon Forge exit, and by that point you may as well just go in home.

As someone who has been to Bristol many times, the typical day is leaving sometime before noon and getting home in the 3-4 AM range. I don't know how many people that will deter, but I'm sure it will be a consideration for some.

Good God man, let it go! It's done. If you don't like it, don't go.

I assume both teams would include a ticket to this event as part of their season ticket packages. That gets you a lot of the way there.

Would actually be a really good idea. Hadn't even considered that. Most neutral site games don't provide that option but the sheer size of Bristol would make it pretty feasible.

Good God man, let it go! It's done. If you don't like it, don't go.

Going to Bristol is actually a lot of fun. This whole game is 75% publicity stunt and I've just been wondering how many people are going to get on board throwing down $100 to basically watch a game on TV. Being part of the potentially largest crowd in college football history is certainly a selling point, but people already complain about attending live games in actual football stadiums being a hassle for those in attendance.

Going to Bristol is actually a lot of fun. This whole game is 75% publicity stunt and I've just been wondering how many people are going to get on board throwing down $100 to basically watch a game on TV. Being part of the potentially largest crowd in college football history is certainly a selling point, but people already complain about attending live games in actual football stadiums being a hassle for those in attendance.

This is probably a once in a lifetime event, im sure there's plenty of fans of both teams that will go just for the experience.

Starting with Roanoke, which is within a 3 hour drive of Bristol, on the VA side of 81 there are lots of options for hotels. Christiansburg, where you get off 81 and head 30 minutes west to VT, has a good amount of hotel options also and that is only a 90 minute drive. Actually where I'm staying this Thursday night before waking up on Friday and finishing the drive into TN for the SC game.

Living where I do and with people knowing I went to school at UT, since it was announced I've been contacted by at least 25 people asking if we were going. There are tons of people who are planning out hotels and RV rentals already, 3 years in advance. It may be gimmicky but I have a feeling they will be just fine as a one off, "event" game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back