The Atlanta Braves Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall, generally speaking. Sabermetrics says one thing, but watching says another. He makes plays the "average" first baseman only dreams about.. yet it is not always backed by sabermetrics.

I think sabermetrics in this case is wrong. I'll trust my eyes. Maybe he doesn't have the range of some first basemen, but he can pick it with anyone, is tall enough to reach would-be errant throws, shortens most other throws, and has an outstanding arm.

I didn't know if you meant defensively or with the bat. Defensively he's probably a tick above average. Not the best in the biz or anything.

I read the other day about the Utaz Jazz defense this past season. Without Al Jefferson on the court, they had the 3rd best defense in the NBA. With Jefferson on the court, they had the 4th worst defense in the NBA. Is there a statistic that looks at this impact in baseball? IMO, that may be where the 1B makes the most impact, impacting the infield defense as a whole. Maybe that's figured into things already, I don't know. I'm not a saber person.

I think sabermetrics in this case is wrong. I'll trust my eyes. Maybe he doesn't have the range of some first basemen, but he can pick it with anyone, is tall enough to reach would-be errant throws, shortens most other throws, and has an outstanding arm.

Basically this is my take as well. Also, agree with Dbake, he is not the best.. but I have to think he is at the least above average no matter how minimal the margain.

Him being a gigantic human being helps a ton. But as far as fielding plays go, there are others i'd take.

I read the other day about the Utaz Jazz defense this past season. Without Al Jefferson on the court, they had the 3rd best defense in the NBA. With Jefferson on the court, they had the 4th worst defense in the NBA. Is there a statistic that looks at this impact in baseball? IMO, that may be where the 1B makes the most impact, impacting the infield defense as a whole. Maybe that's figured into things already, I don't know. I'm not a saber person.

Last season with Tyler pastornicky at SS we had the worst infield defense in baseball. Last season with andrelton simmons at SS we had the best infield defense in baseball.

I think I read that somewhere, so I'm guessing the stat exists.

Freeman handles everything he can get to and sucks up throws like a vacuum. He has very minimal range, but I think that's far less important from a first baseman than what F5F does offer.

Basically this is my take as well. Also, agree with Dbake, he is not the best.. but I have to think he is at the least above average no matter how minimal the margain.

It's easy to tell that Dan Uggla is no Brandon Phillips. It's easy to tell that Starlin Castro is no Andrelton Simmons. It's easy to tell that many CF aren't Andruw Jones. I can't see a discernible difference between Adam LaRoche and Freddie Freeman.

I think Freddie, Laird, and Simmons could turn a 3-2-6-3 triple play under the right circumstances. Bases loaded, slow runner on first, slow runner at bat, sharp grounder to first. It would be fun to watch them try, no less.

I think Freddie, Laird, and Simmons could turn a 3-2-6-3 triple play under the right circumstances. Bases loaded, slow runner on first, slow runner at bat, sharp grounder to first. It would be fun to watch them try, no less.

If I'm the manager, I'd shoot my Catcher if he threw to 2nd.

Last season with Tyler pastornicky at SS we had the worst infield defense in baseball. Last season with andrelton simmons at SS we had the best infield defense in baseball.

I think I read that somewhere, so I'm guessing the stat exists.

Freeman handles everything he can get to and sucks up throws like a vacuum. He has very minimal range, but I think that's far less important from a first baseman than what F5F does offer.

Bravo, thats the point I was trying to make with a couple of Saber nerds on twitter this morning. It fell on deaf ears.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev arrived at his arraignment and was cheered on by about a dozen supporters per Yahoo.

I normally don't try to wish ill will on anyone, but I am having a hard time not wanting something bad to happen to those supporters. Utter disgrace.

He is among the best receivers of throws I've ever seen at first. If there's a catastrophically huge number of balls shooting through the right side that he's not getting to, I haven't noticed it.

I remain heavily skeptical of advanced defensive metrics in general. It wasn't that long ago that everyone agreed that they were interesting but hardly definitive. Then it was like all of a sudden all the stats guys collectively shrugged their shoulders and said, "Eh, they're good enough," and all the skepticism stopped. Now they show sometimes show things like "defensive runs saved" on ESPN, which I think is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back