The "Back In My Day" Thread

back in the day the clock stopped on out of bound plays and we got about 15 more plays of college football

That was actually 1 rule I'm glad they put in. 4+ hour games were horrible to watch. No flow. Just a stopped clock on every single play!

Reactions: 1 person
In the absence of television, John Ward transformed the "greensward of Shields-Watkins Field" into a magical wanderland, even for adults, where gridiron giants, clad in orange and white, slew a legion of red elephants, lizards, bulldawgs, tigers and even an occasional Nittany Lion or Golden Domer.

The way John Ward called the game from "Give him 6!!" to the way he would count down the yardage "He's at the 10,9,8..." created an excitement that television doesn't produce. I miss those days...he was the best.

Reactions: 6 people
back in my day, people didn't waste money on rims, tattoos, and other useless crap.
Back in my day, we spent 80% of what we made on cheap hookers, liquor, cigarettes, and gambling.The other 20% of it........ well we just pissed it away.

Last edited:
Back in my day, a grown man could wear a jersey, and not get ragged on by another man.... oh wait... wrong thread. .

Back in my day it was getting your bell rung, concussion didn't exist and you shook it off and kept playing. We also just rubbed a little dirt on it.

That was actually 1 rule I'm glad they put in. 4+ hour games were horrible to watch. No flow. Just a stopped clock on every single play!

More because of tv timeouts than the game its self is what is killing the flow of the game.

"Back in my Day" Reggie Cobb & Chuck Webb was running ruffshoud through everybody & Andy Kelly was going deep to Carl Pickens & Alvin Harper with the volume off on the tv & John Ward turned up so the neighbors could hear, my dad & I on the edge of our seats hanging on every word & play. Yes I was only about 12 , but that will always be Tennessee Football to Me. Man I miss those days.

Reactions: 5 people

College games gave us ca. 15 extra plays because of the shorter time clock (compared to the NFL), brief stoppages after first downs and when the ball went out of bounds. They became 4+ hour-long broadcasts primarily because the networks interjected 10 (or more) consecutive commercials after each break.

Last edited:
I can remeber when UT played "single wing" with a tailback and only played a regular 10 game schedule. They were referred to as "wide receiver U" and players had "tear away" jerseys. I can remember when the SEC was not the dominant football confernce. I can remember when a team was undefeated at the end of the season, they were 11-0 and there was only a dozen bowl games with the Gator Bowl being one of the top 5 bowls. Seemed to be more low scoring games: 7-0, 10-3, 10-6, 13-7 and very few blow outs. I can remember when the SEC was only 10 teams. Most major college teams played within the same divisiion (1A) and didn't play teams from 1AA.
I remember when one UT player was a punter and also played basketball-Ron Widby.
The majority of the time when I heard John Ward, it was for basketball games on the radio.

Reactions: 2 people
"Back in my Day" Reggie Cobb & Chuck Webb was running ruffshoud through everybody & Andy Kelly was going deep to Carl Pickens & Alvin Harper with the volume off on the tv & John Ward turned up so the neighbors could hear, my dad & I on the edge of our seats hanging on every word & play. Yes I was only about 12 , but that will always be Tennessee Football to Me. Man I miss those days.

Cutty! What up playa?

College games gave us ca. 15 extra plays because of the shorter time clock (compared to the NFL), brief stoppages after first downs and when the ball went out of bounds. They became 4+ hour-long broadcasts primarily because the networks interjected 10 (or more)consecutive commercials after each break.

It wasn't the commercial breaks as much as you think. Stopping the clock on every down (nearly) was just bad.

When I lived in Charleston the SEC network was on the CBS channel. This was back when Jared Lorenzen was the QB for UK and it seemed like every Sat. UK was on the SEC network almost every Sat. and all 70 pass plays they ran were a down and out. I missed damn near the entire 1st half of the CBS game due to that rule.

In either event, I would prefer to deal with clock stoppages as a result of first downs and sideline routes than the increasingly long commercial breaks. The only caveat being, of course, in the scenario that you identified, that it deprives us of access to portions of the Tennessee broadcast.

My pet peeve is this scenario: scoring play, followed by long commercial break, kickoff, followed by a shorter commercial break.

Last edited:
Back in my day it was a special treat so see the Vols on tv. Still special, but then you may get to see 1 game on tv. Get the east coast final scores on the 11 o'clock news & the Gillette post game report. Had to wait til late Sunday to get west coast results.

VN Store

Back