The "Back In My Day" Thread

Back in my day it was a special treat so see the Vols on tv. Still special, but then you may get to see 1 game on tv. Get the east coast final scores on the 11 o'clock news & the Gillette post game report. Had to wait til late Sunday to get west coast results.

Give us a recount of the Louisiana Purchase, if you don't mind. :)

Back in my day we didn't have central heat and air in Hess. Spring or dead of Winter the windows stayed open thanks to ungodly hot radiators and no AC....all the doors stayed open on the floor to get cross breeze, you left a can of the Chef on your radiator in the morning to cook for lunch, and when the door closed on the Zoo elevator it was usually black as night and someone was about to get pinched, and if your girl was there you kept her behind you safe in the corner when the doors closed. But the ZOO still had better parties (including keg parties then any frat on campus!!!!) :D

Back in my day the college all stars played the NFL champions in Chicago and the goal posts were on the goal line.

Back in the day we listened to "Leonard's Loosers" prior to John Ward's broadcast. Walking to Neyland included a walk across the railroad truss.

Reactions: 2 people
Back in my day we felt disrespected if we weren't at least top 10 preseason ..our expectations was always to contend for a national championship!

Reactions: 1 person
Back in the day we listened to "Leonard's Loosers" prior to John Ward's broadcast. Walking to Neyland included a walk across the railroad truss.

Yeah, I shoulda just said back in my day .....John Ward....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvrlTgrTJo[/youtube]

never gonna be the same as turning off the TV volume and firing up the radio for sound.

Reactions: 2 people
During practice in August at 90 plus degrees, the coaches would say "water's for pu$$ies!"

One of my most memorable football moments was running off the field after ending a pre-season football practice (by doing suicides) and the coach was standing on the bleachers next to the water cooler. Right as we got there and started grabbing paper cups, he tipped it over and made do hill climbs for an hour. Because he said we had just ran harder to the water than we did the whole practice.

Coaches would get fired for doing that now, but it didnt take us twice to figue out that you run your butt off in practice or be thirsty after it.

back in my day 7-3 didn't get you to a bowl game.

back in my day fans didn't stop every 2 seconds to watch the jumbo tron.

back in my day, students didn't sit and text all during an alabama or florida game.

why don't they have these on the net, i have looked for these everywhere and they can't be found. man that was next level.

Reactions: 1 person
Back in my day we didn't have central heat and air in Hess. Spring or dead of Winter the windows stayed open thanks to ungodly hot radiators and no AC....all the doors stayed open on the floor to get cross breeze, you left a can of the Chef on your radiator in the morning to cook for lunch, and when the door closed on the Zoo elevator it was usually black as night and someone was about to get pinched, and if your girl was there you kept her behind you safe in the corner when the doors closed. But the ZOO still had better parties (including keg parties then any frat on campus!!!!) :D

Lived on the 4th floor central room overlooking the quad (and the girls wing). For away games several of us would put our radios on the window sill so everyone could listen. Pandemonium would break out after every TD and every win.

During non-game nights I would often come home to find a couple of dudes standing on my desk with binoculars watching one of their friends getting a "night cap" across the quad.

Lived on the 4th floor central room overlooking the quad (and the girls wing). For away games several of us would put our radios on the window sill so everyone could listen. Pandemonium would break out after every TD and every win.

During non-game nights I would often come home to find a couple of dudes standing on my desk with binoculars watching one of their friends getting a "night cap" across the quad.

LOL sounds about right..... I was J-7 Penthouse.... most fun I can remember in quad was someone filled a trunk with fireworks in the quad and set it on fire.....pure entertainment ensued. Followed by a competition between J and K sides on yo mama jokes.

walking across the railroad truss is a great memory and many of the times I did it involved another great memory and that was going to Smoky Mountain market to load up on dogs and rooster sandwiches...

I must be OLD!! Back in my day, we didn't play Florida every year! Back in my day, USCjr was an independent, and Arkansas was in this thing that got disbanded called the Southwest Conference. Back in my day, the SEC Title was determined in the regular season. There was no Georgia Dome or SEC Championship Game.

Back in my day we'd sneak into TBA, go up to the very top row where you couldn't be seen because it was so dark, and listen to Pat Summit give the girls a good cussin.

That was actually 1 rule I'm glad they put in. 4+ hour games were horrible to watch. No flow. Just a stopped clock on every single play!

i liked watching a game that long,there were a lot more plays and the only reason they done it,was because the TV people were complaining about it running over into other shows,remember the Heidi game ?

there wussyfing football games,i remember when you had to watch out for getting clothes lined if you ran into the opposing teams side line on a out of bounds play

and there was nothing like the tie games either

and i miss being able to watch
The Game with my dad :cray:

Last edited:
'Back in my day' you could buy season tickets, go to a game or 2 and if you timed it right make good money selling the remainder ...

Yeah, I shoulda just said back in my day .....John Ward....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvrlTgrTJo[/youtube]

never gonna be the same as turning off the TV volume and firing up the radio for sound.

we use to turn off the TV and listen to Mr Ward too :)

i would love to have that jersey,since it is to big for him lol and the free life time pass too,hell throw in them rocking chairs also :)

that is a great video for sure

Back in my day, a ref made the call & stuck by it. No one got to whine & cry about it & waste 10 minutes of my time deciding if it was the right call or not.

Back in the day I humped 20 miles on a Fri morning at camp lejeune NC got off at noon n drove 8 or so hours to ktown to see my girl n party for a sat game. Some good n some bad... the worst was when bama beat us 6 to 3 n they were unranked.. but we had some great times n Johnny finally got on a great run there at his end just in time for me to start school at ut....lol

VN Store

Back