The Case for Reparations

I've always found this to be a weak argument. I can't think of a discovery that led to the advancement of civilization that was exclusive to one individual.

Also, the North didn't treat blacks any better.

We're talking about potentially adding millions and millions to the population here over the last 150 years, so yeah...they would have been a lot more brilliant minds working in collaboration. Point remains the same.

I agree that the North didn't treat the blacks better than the antebellum south, but post-bellum, I'd have to disagree.

That's the most insane answer I've ever heard.

"Blacks would have benefited because we would have cured cancer already".

It's a counterfactual, obviously, but it's way less outlandish than most of the drivel I see posted on a consistent basis in this subforum.

It's a counterfactual, obviously, but it's way less outlandish than most of the drivel I see posted on a consistent basis in this subforum.

You still never answered my question. Who would get reparations?

You still never answered my question. Who would get reparations?

I didn't answer it because there's no wrong answer since it's discussing a hypothetical occurrence. Basically, you're just going to take issue with any response. A dumb question, really.

I didn't answer it because there's no wrong answer since it's discussing a hypothetical occurrence. Basically, you're just going to take issue with any response. A dumb question, really.

So propose reparations, but don't know who they should go to?

So there's obviously a reason you keep coming back to this forum. Glutton for punishment maybe?

But the question is valid. Who determines if reparations are justified? And how far back are we willing to go? And generally speaking, how much would these reparations be? What would be fair?

Don't avoid the questions. It basically means you have no arguments that would be construed as right or wrong.

So propose reparations, but don't know who they should go to?

Again, it's pointless to provide you with an answer. You're not interested in discussing reparations as your position on the matter is pretty clear; you're merely looking to say "no" to any answer.

Oh sorry. I'll fall in line.

"If it weren't for slavery, blacks would still be in Africa. You're welcome blacks. Now I don't have to feel bad about my ancestors' role in perpetuating slavery."

I have to ask...

Why would you feel bad for something your ancestors did? Were you directly involved?

Slavery was a black mark (no racist) on this nation's record. But it doesn't mean we still have to continue paying the penance for what our ancestors did. When will enough be enough? What's the point in continuing the blame game on generations so far removed from slavery they couldn't tell you if their ancestors even owned slaves or supported slavery Or the fact that most people that like to use the slavery reparations argument can't or won't even trace their lineage back to those times. It's just assumed they were victims.

How long will this continue?

So there's obviously a reason you keep coming back to this forum. Glutton for punishment maybe?

But the question is valid. Who determines if reparations are justified? And how far back are we willing to go? And generally speaking, how much would these reparations be? What would be fair?

Don't avoid the questions. It basically means you have no arguments that would be construed as right or wrong.

I think the reason I keep coming back is the sheer absurdity of the posters; truly, I cannot fathom how people living in 2014 can be so poorly informed and categorically unintelligent.

You're trying to argue that the inherent difficulty in doling out reparations is reason enough to not provide them. If you can't see how that's just completely asinine then, well, it's par for the course.

Again, it's pointless to provide you with an answer. You're not interested in discussing reparations as your position on the matter is pretty clear; you're merely looking to say "no" to any answer.

Translation = "I don't have an answer"

Reactions: 1 person

I'm interested in your response and open-minded about it.

I think the reason I keep coming back is the sheer absurdity of the posters; truly, I cannot fathom how people living in 2014 can be so poorly informed and categorically unintelligent.

You're trying to argue that the inherent difficulty in doling out reparations is reason enough to not provide them. If you can't see how that's just completely asinine then, well, it's par for the course.

It's a simple question really. But nobody has ever been able to give a good answer as to why reparations should be considered. And you are failing to do so now.

It might be difficult, but not impossible. And nobody has said straight up that they aren't deserved. But your troll like posts and insults aren't getting your arguments far at all.

So either provide the merits of why and how reparations should be considered or shut up. Easy choice.

I have to ask...

Why would you feel bad for something your ancestors did? Were you directly involved?

Slavery was a black mark (no racist) on this nation's record. But it doesn't mean we still have to continue paying the penance for what our ancestors did. When will enough be enough? What's the point in continuing the blame game on generations so far removed from slavery they couldn't tell you if their ancestors even owned slaves or supported slavery Or the fact that most people that like to use the slavery reparations argument can't or won't even trace their lineage back to those times. It's just assumed they were victims.

How long will this continue?

Well, I didn't mean a feeling of "guilt", I meant "sympathy" and/or "shame". "Feel bad" was a vague way to phrase it.

I'm interested in your response and open-minded about it.

I'd be interested in starting "negotiations" at $50,000 per black individual who can trace their lineage back to slavery within the United States, and $25,000 to any black individual who can trace their lineage back to an ancestor living in the United States prior to the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

I'm open to amending those amounts and any qualifiers, perhaps up to and including a gradual end to Affirmative Action.

I'd be interested in starting "negotiations" at $50,000 per black individual who can trace their lineage back to slavery within the United States, and $25,000 to any black individual who can trace their lineage back to an ancestor living in the United States prior to the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

I'm open to amending those amounts and any qualifiers, perhaps up to and including a gradual end to Affirmative Action.

You are ****ing hilarious..just give em all a new escalade, it'll last longer.

Well, I didn't mean a feeling of "guilt", I meant "sympathy" and/or "shame". "Feel bad" was a vague way to phrase it.

Sympathy is one thing, but even that's a stretch. Shame is certainly not a word I would associate with it. Was slavery wrong? Absolutely, but there's not a good enough reason for something that happened 160 years ago to be shameful for this day in age. I didn't cause it. My grandparents didn't have that problem (and served with all sorts of black Americans side by side in battle during Korea) and my parents surely didn't support racism of any kind.

Understanding the reasons behind slavery and being mindful that our ancestors didn't act in what would be construed as a positive manner is not sympathy in my book. But again, the question stands of when will enough be enough? And how is fair determined? Is it the $777 trillion (yes, that number is correct) that was demanded by some groups?

BBC News | Africa | Trillions demanded in slavery reparations

Or the 72.5 billion Pounds demanded by Jamaican residents to the British government?

Jamaica revives slavery reparations commission

Does any of this seem fair?

Specifically what would be included in these "negotiations?"

VN Store

Back