The disney insanity continues

That's what I figured. And becoming one is obviously figurative, and doesn't exclude a third. A third can become one with you two, figuratively.

Polygamy for all!
Not for me!

I am married to one woman for 26 years. I can barely keep my wits married to one. No way I invite more of those into my life.

Yeah, those don't say anything remotely close to "marriage is exclusively between one man and one woman"
I think you would have to discuss with a Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic linguist to ascertain if/when exclusivity is 'built into' the language for that verse.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I think you would have to discuss with a Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic linguist to ascertain when exclusivity is 'built into' the language for that verse.
E-sword (which is what I use) is a free bible program that has a built-in Strong's concordance so you can check what the original Greek or Hebrew word was and what it meant right there in the passage. You can definitely gleam insight into passages by looking at the original language with which it was written.

Reactions: McDad
Not for me!

I am married to one woman for 26 years. I can barely keep my wits married to one. No way I invite more of those into my life.

I would definitely be open to it if my wife were and it wasn't such a cultural oddity*, but even then like you say, you're introducing a whole new channel for problems. I'm extremely happy with my wife and she makes life easy. We're not complicated. No need to rock the boat.

*I have friends who are polyamorous and it's just too much negative attention on them and their kids. Of course tons of gossip, but people treat them weird to their faces. Not bad, just weird. And coming from a religious background, of course their families are the least ready to accept it.

E-sword (which is what I use) is a free bible program that has a built-in Strong's concordance so you can check what the original Greek or Hebrew word was and what it meant right there in the passage. You can definitely gleam insight into passages by looking at the original language with which it was written.
Interesting. Never heard of that before.

How long your been using it?

I would definitely be open to it if my wife were and it wasn't such a cultural oddity*, but even then like you say, you're introducing a whole new channel for problems. I'm extremely happy with my wife and she makes life easy. We're not complicated. No need to rock the boat.

*I have friends who are polyamorous and it's just too much negative attention on them and their kids. Of course tons of gossip, but people treat them weird to their faces. Not bad, just weird. And coming from a religious background, of course their families are the least ready to accept it.
I've known a few polys.

Too much drama for me.

I've been using it for years. They also have a version for Iphone but I think you have to pay for it.
Was there anything noteworthy that you discovered using it which contradicted or enhanced an understanding you held previously?

Uh, I don't know it works for everyone else but in my house, McRib's money is hers, and my money is hers.

Thus 3 incomes leaves me one short if I have 2 wives.

For some reason, this reminded me of Little Big man when they do the 3:1 horse/wife comparison

Was there anything noteworthy that you discovered using it which contradicted or enhanced an understanding you held previously?
A good example would be the English word "love". This word is very generic and could mean many different things. However looking at the Greek translation, you find that there are several different words to describe different types of "love". There's "agape" love which involves "affection and benevolence". Agape is more generalized towards your fellow man and unconditional. This is the word used whenever a passage talks about God's love towards us. There's "phileo" love which involves friendship with a person. There's "philadelphia" which involves brotherly love towards brethren. There's "philanthropia" which is similar to agape in that it's more of a generalized, unconditional love of mankind.

Sometimes you can tell what meaning is being used based on the context of the passage. Other times, it isn't so clear, so having a Strong's concordance helps with that.

That's what I figured. And becoming one is obviously figurative, and doesn't exclude a third. A third can become one with you two, figuratively.

Polygamy for all!
Most men would quickly realize that multiple wives would also mean multiple mother in laws, multiple honey do lists, and multiple birthdays/anniversaries and other events to remember. It takes all my energy to properly love one wife the way she deserves. God designed it the way he did for a reason. Just because He allowed the patriarchs to have more than one wife doesn’t mean He thought it was the best idea. God allows us to do many things that aren’t necessarily smart

Reactions: HammondB3Vol
A good example would be the English word "love". This word is very generic and could mean many different things. However looking at the Greek translation, you find that there are several different words to describe different types of "love". There's "agape" love which involves "affection and benevolence". Agape is more generalized towards your fellow man and unconditional. This is the word used whenever a passage talks about God's love towards us. There's "phileo" love which involves friendship with a person. There's "philadelphia" which involves brotherly love towards brethren. There's "philanthropia" which is similar to agape in that it's more of a generalized, unconditional love of mankind.

Sometimes you can tell what meaning is being used based on the context of the passage. Other times, it isn't so clear, so having a Strong's concordance helps with that.

I believe most sources have now gone to "Thou shalt not murder" vs "kill" for the same sort of translation issue.

Most men would quickly realize that multiple wives would also mean multiple mother in laws, multiple honey do lists, and multiple birthdays/anniversaries and other events to remember. It takes all my energy to properly love one wife the way she deserves. God designed it the way he did for a reason. Just because He allowed the patriarchs to have more than one wife doesn’t mean He thought it was the best idea. God allows us to do many things that aren’t necessarily smart

LOL

Two thoughts:

The Mouse never loses. Not a huge fan of Disney corporate but they don't lose their arguments. 5 year old kids don't give a damn about politics. They just want to feed the Mouse.

Watch the Humphrey Bogart WW II movie, Sahara (not to be mixed up with the terrible Matthew McConaughey movie). They ask a north african muslim soldier why he doesn't have more than one wife since it is allowed under their religion. He gives Muhammed's teachings about how many wives a man (two and his explanation made sense) should have and then says he only has one because his wife wouldn't like it if he had another wife. Pretty much my thoughts since I have an aversion to waking up to my equipment being removed with a dull knife.

So are you of the belief that when married the man and woman become one?

Another example would be Ephesians 5:19 where it mentions "psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs".

On the surface they sound like words for essentially the same thing, however, in Greek they have similar, but distinct, separate meanings. Psalms are religious odes can be accompanied with a harp. Hymns are celebratory religious odes which can include psalms. Spiritual songs are metrical Hebrew cantillations.

VN Store

Back