The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

I need some help with something. I was visiting with my mother in the Great State of Tennessee this past weekend. She told me that my dad, who passed away two years ago, had some baseball cards from when he was in school. He graduated high school in 1954 (two time football bowl champs!), so these would be vintage cards. She said she didn't know anything about baseball (except that she watches the Vols!) or baseball players, and asked me to see if they were worth anything. I had to tell her that I didn't know either, but I would find out for her. I didn't get to look at them: it was a very busy weekend with a wedding, 3 dear cousins coming in from out of state for a high school reunion the same weekend, and of course a good part of family together to watch the Vols' massive comeback win over FSU. Next time I am there and I can see the cards, could you help me out with whether the cards are worth anything? And also if any of them are treasures for who they depict?
eBay would be a good place to start to find the price of sold cards.

I need some help with something. I was visiting with my mother in the Great State of Tennessee this past weekend. She told me that my dad, who passed away two years ago, had some baseball cards from when he was in school. He graduated high school in 1954 (two time football bowl champs!), so these would be vintage cards. She said she didn't know anything about baseball (except that she watches the Vols!) or baseball players, and asked me to see if they were worth anything. I had to tell her that I didn't know either, but I would find out for her. I didn't get to look at them: it was a very busy weekend with a wedding, 3 dear cousins coming in from out of state for a high school reunion the same weekend, and of course a good part of family together to watch the Vols' massive comeback win over FSU. Next time I am there and I can see the cards, could you help me out with whether the cards are worth anything? And also if any of them are treasures for who they depict?
I could help you with this endeavor…not only in what is of value but what avenue would best fit what you have to ensure you maximized your return. Vintage baseball cards are my niche.

For sure! I’d love to see them.
@volplaya8 has a VERY NICE vintage collection!

Thanks. That's a good idea.
If they are in good shape and good players then grading is a must to maximize return…condition is the key…grading takes time and money but it is a huge return when compared to raw most times…then if you have something really special you would want to send to an auction house like Robert Edwards but that’s a whole different story…lol

I remember one time I had a lifeguard holler at me for getting into the water. He pointed to some "flags" blowing about a half mile down the beach from where I was. He was telling me the different color of certain flags tells you to stay out of the water & blah blah blah.
I told him I was just a hick from W.TN. & didn't see or know about the damn freaking flags down a half mile from me. Lighten up Francis.

Last edited:
Btw…not sure if I have shown this…this is an old pic as I have accumulated a few others….but this is the t206 hof run…working on completion…sans Wagner and Plank of course….
The Plank and the “NAT’L” Doyle are a couple of rarities.
That is an awesome collection playa!!
How long did it take you to put that together?
What is the highest grade?

Could you imagine this pace for an entire marathon…I would be lucky to do quarter mile…that crap is super human

My mom's father was a huge baseball fan. He passed away when I was in first grade so it didn't stick with me, but I remember that anytime we would visit, he would have two baseball games on at the same time! (My brother and I learned that from him and did it with football games. lol) Sometimes one on the radio. I would hate to tell @knoxvol52, but he was a huge Dodgers fan. But he liked a lot of teams, prolly all the teams in one way or another. On my dad's side they were big football fans. But there was one great aunt on my dad's side who absolutely loved Willie Mays. I do remember that. Baseball yes, but Willie Mays all day long! I remember watching him with her on occasions when I was there. It was good that I told my mom about that when she told me about the cards. She didn't know the aunt loved Willie Mays. But I know, knowing my mom, that that fact would have meant a lot to her when a few days later the passing away of Willie Mays was all over the television. She had a connection to him just in time. And she's sentimental.

That's what most people would call 😜 using your common sense.

So it isn’t surprising if people still decide to go a far distance while surfing or swimming in a ocean knowing that encounter sharks is a realistic possibility.

Not exactly related except I did go scuba diving in the Galapagos Island area while on a 2022 South America vacation.
I rapidly went upward after a seal may have touched my foot if not had to be some aquatic animal that touched my foot.

Reactions: VolPack22
I remember one time I had a lifeguard holler at me for getting into the water. He pointed to some "flags" blowing about a half mile down the beach from where I was. He was telling me the different color of certain flags tells you to stay out of the water & blah blah blah.
I told him I was just a hick from W.TN. & didn't see or know about the damn freaking flags down a half mile from me. Lighten up Francis.
Was this the time you got caught up in a riptide, by chance?
😂

My mom's father was a huge baseball fan. He passed away when I was in first grade so it didn't stick with me, but I remember that anytime we would visit, he would have two baseball games on at the same time! (My brother and I learned that from him and did it with football games. lol) Sometimes one on the radio. I would hate to tell @knoxvol52, but he was a huge Dodgers fan. But he liked a lot of teams, prolly all the teams in one way or another. On my dad's side they were big football fans. But there was one great aunt on my dad's side who absolutely loved Willie Mays. I do remember that. Baseball yes, but Willie Mays all day long! I remember watching him with her on occasions when I was there. It was good that I told my mom about that when she told me about the cards. She didn't know the aunt loved Willie Mays. But I know, knowing my mom, that that fact would have meant a lot to her when a few days later the passing away of Willie Mays was all over the television. She had a connection to him just in time. And she's sentimental.
I can relate to your moms father...
😁

Sounds like fun. I probably won't be too helpful, but there are price guides for cards available on the internet.

For example:

VN Store

Back