The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

If they are in good shape and good players then grading is a must to maximize returnā€¦condition is the keyā€¦grading takes time and money but it is a huge return when compared to raw most timesā€¦then if you have something really special you would want to send to an auction house like Robert Edwards but thatā€™s a whole different storyā€¦lol
Thanks. I'm not expecting much. And knowing dad, the cards are prolly dog-eared from his pocket from when he was a kid. But we'll see. It was great conversation, in any event, before we watched the Vols' 9th inning heroics in FSU game 1. Fun note: we missed the first 4 innings due to the wedding, and when we switched the game on, we were down 5 runs. My brother immediately exclaimed: "We are winning this game!"

Also, my Southern Miss baseball fan BIL (who got me awesome tickets last year for the Super Regionals) was in town here the last couple of days, and he was pulling for the Vols. He also made us some amazing quail, andouille, and shrimp gumbo after the win last night! I told him I was going to have to get him a Vols baseball jersey, and he said "I would wear it"! I think he is right that USM might have won the Kentucky regional. I hated to see them get crushed by us again until later in the tournament, but I didn't hate it that much. šŸ˜‚ He knows I was pulling So Miss them when they beat Bama and Ole Miss this season. He told me iirc that USM has scheduled a game or series with Kentucky for next year.

The Plank and the ā€œNATā€™Lā€ Doyle are a couple of rarities.
That is an awesome collection playa!!
How long did it take you to put that together?
What is the highest grade?
Everything for me is set based and needs to fit a themeā€¦for T206 every card needs to be at least a PSA 2ā€¦for my diamond stars hof collection psa 4-6, then 50-60ā€™s era I am mainly PSA 7 for sets but will go to PSA 6 at times for star players not in a set I am buildingā€¦.then once you get to 70ā€™s to modern itā€™s PSA 8-10ā€¦there are other tough guys along with Doyle but I only do the HOF run so he doesnā€™t apply thank goodnessā€¦I know many guys who have put together what they call the Monsterā€¦520 cards! HOF run is 74 cards if you donā€™t count Wagner and Plankā€¦that is plenty enough for meā€¦of the 74 you have 4 Cobbs, 3 Mathewsons, 3 Youngs, 3 Lajoie, 2 Johnson just to begin withā€¦not for the faint of heartā€¦I also pride myself on having many what are considered undergraded within my T206 stuffā€¦itā€™s a process for sureā€¦if I wasnā€™t into everything and collecting so many sets/things at once it would help mattersā€¦lol

I also have a complete set of PSA 7 1955 Topps All American Football which has many Vols stars in it. That was not an easy set to complete in that grade.

I donā€™t have all of my cards registered but many are listed here if you are able to look.

I can relate to your moms father...
šŸ˜
I know it! I see you at it all the time when I check in this forum late and you are watching West Coast games. šŸ˜‚ Grandpa also played in a Dixieland band named the Dixieland Dodgers!

See, I have a blood line! Even if I only came back to the game when Ole Piss said Kiffin would throw out the first pitch against us in '22. If that is not a provocation to Vols football fan, I can't imagine one! F them, I said. And that game was so fun, I watched us stomping on Corbin the next week. And that was so fun, that I have never stopped watching! Adding midweek games along the way, and by '23 I was there for opening pitch in those dicey broadcasts from Arizona, as you will remember. I have missed few games since. I did play catcher as a kid before I dropped baseball for spring football and running track in junior high and high school.

I have to say that when Cal tagged that guy out at home plate yesterday, it gave me a flashback! It seriously did. First time watching that I've had that experience.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll find a way to show them to you, if they turn out to be anything.
think they will considering the time period and the smaller number of period doing serious collecting at the time.

untold number of guys who had collections at that time aren't very happy about what mom and dad ddid with those shoe boxes.
FYI, my DIL collected NHL cards

Hey did you all know that we're good at baseball?

Weird....

Tennessee has successfully rebuild to be great at Baseball while Tennessee football might have found stability after the long challenging rebuild.

I expect people to start jumping on the Texas AM baseball bandwagon and Tennessee baseball bandwagon.

Welcome to the Summer Season.

Have a productive work day for VN members that are working on a Summer Thursday.

Ha. Yes a few folks sent me that pic! LOL. I do love my Chinook Seedery Sunflower seeds. I think Kirby used to do some NIL work for them. Itā€™s a habit while watching the BaseVols.
I appreciate that! I am one of the owners of Chinook. Big time Vol, live in Knoxville, and yea did some stuff with Kirby, Dollander, Beam and Zander! Appreciate the support!

Have any of you other former art directors or graphic artists been surprised by the background color the CWS (a first class bunch of organizers, for sure) came up with for our postgame pressers?
A red background against Tennessee orange???
1718911016878.png
Vols Pantone 151 pops so well against many other colors they could have chosen. Or they could've just have gone neutral with gray. Instead, it looks chaotic. A textbook illustration for how not to present your guests at an event.

The SEC Tournament did a much better job presenting each team, despite resorting to a plasma screen background.
1718911774943.png

Disappointed. May not watch any more CWS this year.

I know it! I see you at it all the time when I check in this forum late and you are watching West Coast games. šŸ˜‚ Grandpa also played in a Dixieland band named the Dixieland Dodgers!

See, I have a blood line! Even if I only came back to the game when Ole Piss said Kiffin would throw out the first pitch against us in '22. If that is not a provocation to Vols football fan, I can't imagine one! F them, I said. And that game was so fun, I watched us stomping on Corbin the next week. And that was so fun, that I have never stopped watching! Adding midweek games along the way, and by '23 I was there for opening pitch in those dicey broadcasts from Arizona, as you will remember. I have missed few games since. I did play catcher as a kid before I dropped baseball for spring football and running track in junior high and high school.

I have to say that when Cal tagged that guy out at home plate yesterday, it gave me a flashback! It seriously did. First time watching that I've had that experience.
Well, I probably speak for the majority...weā€™re glad you stuck around.
šŸ˜Ž
The Braves are my all time favorite and thatā€™s where my heart is. I have so many great memories as a kid, at Fulton county stadium, with my dad and my papaw!
But somehow I came to really like those Mets, especially Strawberry and Gooden and they just became my #2 team and apparently no one thought to tell me that you canā€™t be a Braves AND a Mets fan.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
With that said, I have a ton of guys that I enjoy watching play the game and will root for.
Mookie is one of my favorites, outside of Atlanta and New York.
Salvador Perez, William Contreras, Travis dā€™Arnaud, Yadi... I like watching good catchers work.
Old guys are of course Nolan Ryan, Bo, Eric Davis...
I followed the Blue Jays closely as a kid because I saw a ton of them play at Bill Meyer stadium.
What really excites me is that we are starting to see a lot of Vols make there way toward MLB rosters and that is really going to be fun!
Basically, I just love baseball!!

Hot summer day in Omaha so perfect day to swim at Fun Plex or an open swimming pool that doesnā€™t require being a member.

Sunny days for the Lakers could be happening because JJ Redick has been hired as the new Head Coach if he can prosper as a Head Coach of anhistoric NBA team that has an illustrious history.

VN Store

Back