The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

I’m very amazed that on my 89th consecutive healthy diet day for getting optimal shredded results would be the same historic day I got to watch Tennessee win their first ever National Championship in College Baseball.

THERE'S A GREAT FUTURE OUT THERE FOR THIS YOUNG MAN ....

winner of the Most Outstanding Player award got to take home a smaller version of the iconic "Road to Omaha" trophy set outside of Charles Schwab Field Omaha. The solid bronze statue is sixteen inches tall and weighs nearly 50 pounds.

Tennessee' own Sid Hatfield was winner in 1951

I’m a lot less unhappy that my Cubs couldn’t defend a lead tonight vs the Giants in San Francisco because the Volunteers won their first National Championship in College Baseball.

The 2024 Tennessee baseball team had an unforgettable amazing season.

IMG_8354.jpegIMG_8353.jpeg

Good question. Not sure I have an answer. Kept the game at arm's length emotionally, but also stayed locked in and didn't try to multitask during it (well, 'cept for the regular evening walk around the neighborhood).

Really enjoyed Wilkerson's call of the game on radio--almost empathetically. Having read about his history with Tennessee baseball, I really wanted this win for him (...which is another way of keeping some space between me and my own emotions, eh?)

Very happy for Tony and his Dad. That's a journey of a near lifetime. Very special. I wonder at what point Tony is going to need someone of his own to share his joys (and defeats). I hope there's someone special out there for him. But coaching, like military service, puts such a strain on building a good marriage.

Usually some tragedy puts athletic achievement into perspective. But athletic achievements can also put real life into perspective. It takes character to attain a championship, and even God puts value on character.
As an aside and for brevity, I'll refer to the guys I live with as my roommates, but they are guys I live with in a condo that's under construction. My roommates are so close with my parents they refer to my parents as Mom and Dad.

We went to my/our parents house to watch the game because we like my parents and vice versa. I knew my parents would get a kick out of having us there. I avoided this forum and just wanted to take in the game and focus on it and my friends and family and would come to Volnation late in the game or post game.

You pondered when Tony is going to need to share his joys and defeats with. I hope he as that now and we just aren't aware of that. I already have that with my friends, parents and girlfriend and I've needed all of them for the past 4 years, just to get where I am. While my parents are very important to me, it's my best friend Jason, who has helped me the most since getting to college because I have known him since just before second grade and have done weekend sleepovers since then. In middle school, when both his parents were traveling, he'd stay with us for 1-3 weeks at a time. In the Summer before 11th grade, he moved in with us and we've shared a bedroom ever since. He emancipated himself from his parents after 11th grade and took on my parents last name. We purposely have taken all the same classes together since 7th grade through our freshman year of college. In all that time we've had one argument, which is pretty cool.

We go to sleep watching baseball or a movie or sports center or the news or whatever and eventually talk quietly until one of us (usually him) falls asleep.

Jason is someone is someone I compete with physically for as long as I can remember and until my final growth spurt, was considerably bigger and stronger than I was. I learned how to lose gracefully and I'd only get irked with him if he let up even a little bit, which I truly appreciated. I'd evaluate myself by how much better I could do against him and was fine with that so long as he didn't give in even a little bit. I wanted to earn it.

My next closest friend is Marc, I met in 7th grade. In addition to being a very good athlete, was someone I had to work hard against in order to beat intellectually. The 3 of us, as 8th graders, decided we'd all go to the same college and live together and support one and other while going to middle school, high school and college and we're doing exactly that.

As I mentioned, I have a girlfriend. and so does Jason. Marc "kind of" has an on again, off again girlfriend.

Maybe Tony Vitello has something like that in life and we don't know about it.

I think it would be really difficult to be a head coach and meet a woman that would be willing to tolerate all the work and travel Tony must do to recruit and be away from home as much as he is. Maybe he's "married to his job" for now? It wouldn't be AS fulfilling as having a significant other to share his life with, but he certainly is busy.

When you mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I'd be wise to find someone who is strong where I am weak, you definitely got me thinking about my life, the choices I've made and got me reflecting on my relationship with my current girlfriend and I'm not sure I have that with her.

You mentioned, "It takes character to attain a championship, and even God puts value on character."

The little bit I know of Tony's character has only improved over the course of this past season and I like how he chooses to respond to reporter's questions. Tony's responses seem authentic and spontaneous. I like how some of his answers are fairly long and explanatory, while others are playful, fun, funny and also authentic. I think he's the kind of coach most most personalities could thrive.

OMG! It just hit me...
What the hell am I going to do this weekend??!!
😞
You know what we're doing arguing about Braves and Dodgers.😜

Also almost How Bout Them Cowboys just around the corner..

@VolPack22 will make fun of Cowboys and @MAD will piss me off about the Americas team saying.

Just normal everyday stuff here in the dugout.

VN Store

Back